Success after IF
Options

IVF'ers - Would you do this study?

So I'm currently stimming for an IVF cycle and my clinic offered me into a study.  I'm debating if I want to enter or not ... I may not even qualify because I'll need 8 mature eggs at retrieval (only had four last time).

Study is looking at two temperatures to optimize lab conditions for embryos.  You need 8 mature eggs that are then randomized into two groups - one will be kept at 36 degrees, the other 37. On day 5 they will be have PGD/CCS testing.  The best two will be transferred; one from each group on day 6.  (My clinic only does 6 day transfers.  

If you become pregnant there is blood test at 9w and a cheek swab (DNA) for baby once born to determine which embryo took.  

This doesn't save me money in the overall cycle, but provides PGD/CCS testing for free.  

We have mixed feelings ... any thoughts? 

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: IVF'ers - Would you do this study?

• Options
    I'd most definitely would do it, I think it's pretty cool!
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Savannah
    image.
    Callista
    Baby Trail Blog
    "Someday we will look at our babies and know it will be worth it. If it was easy, we would not have had our babies, the babies we were meant to have." From Amy052006
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

It depends... Would you transfer 2 normally? Are there any other studies out there showing the temps to be better one way or another? If it didn't work, would you always wonder "what if"? I don't know your history but are there any reasons to believe there are genetic problems with the embryos that the PGD would help to determine the best ones?

It sounds like an interesting study but Since its not saving you any $  the other things I mentioned would make me iffy on it. That said, I don't plan to put back 2 so probably the biggest factor for me. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Since it's not saving you any money, I would be very hesitant to do it.  If they were offering me a free cycle or even a large discount I would be more willing.  It doesn't seem right to experiment with your embryos and not give you anything in return.  I feel like I might blame the study if the cycle didn't work and wonder if they hadn't changed anything from their normal procedures if I would have gotten pregnant.

If I were already planning to do PGD then I would be much more likely to do it since you would be saving that money.  If you would normally only transfer one embryo, then I don't think I would do it since you are taking on an additional risk of multiples.

It took 3 1/2 long years, but we finally got our little miracle!
    IVF #1 - BFP (6dt)
    Unassisted Pregnancy #2 - lost at 15w6d due to T21, severe heart defects, and fetal hydrops

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Would you do PGD/CCS testing otherwise?  Is it really worth that cost to take a chance?  Personally, I wouldn't do it.  I would hate to have any "what ifs" in my head.  I'd let someone else take the chance.  (I was asked to do a study when I had my tubes tied with a new adhesive they were trying out.  I said no. I didn't want to be the one that they figured out it didn't work on and get pregnant again after we made the decision to be done.)
    imageimageimage
    TTC #1: IUI #2 = BFP , Betas 550 (16 dpiui), 1523 (18 dpiui)
    Hypothyroid, LPD, FSH 13.0, TTC 2 yrs B4 BFP

TTC #2: FSH 23, AMA, IUI 1, 2, 3 = BFN, IVF #1 = MC
    IVF #2 = BFP - Betas 194 (14dp2dt), 366 (16 dp2dt), 841 (18 dp2dt)
    (vanished twin ~7 weeks)
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    MAK06MAK06 member

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

We are slightly nervous about transferring two but we transferred two last time and had a singleton so I think we are willing to take that risk again and plan to transfer two.

We have no reason to suspect any genetic problems.  No family history and we are both 30 years old.

I wish there was a discount.  They say that even though an embryo develops and looks normal it may still have genetic abnormalities so they are kind of insinuating this may increase your chances since you know the ones you transfer are chromosonally normal.  But I'm not sure.  It's even more manimulation for the embryo in what already isn't "natural".  So I guess that's the main reason I'm iffy!  I think I would definitely do it if there were a little more discount or compensation.  

I'm not sure I'll qualify - I'm a little nervous.  I had 6 (5 on R, 1 L) follicles this am.  They had initially told me to come back in two days but nurse called and said doc reviewed and wants me back tomorrow because they are getting up there in size.  So now I'm little nervous I'll have low retrieval number again.  Coupled with their 6 day transfer rule makes me even more nervous ...  

IVF #1 = BFP!! So blessed to have our baby boy! IVF #2 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! IVF #3 = Convert to frozen - 1 frostie! FET #1 = 8/14, Two transferred, One stuck! Praying for another healthy miracle! Due: 5/2/13 imageLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I think I would do it. I have a history of m/c so I would like the idea of knowing both embies transferred were genetically normal. I can't believe you are stinking already! Good luck!!!
    Unexplained Infertility

After two Clomid cycles, three injectable IUI cycles, two IVFs, two miscarriages, and one lap surgery, IVF #2 has brought us our little boy!

TTC #2
    After months of being postponed or cancelled, FET #1.3 (Natural FET) brought us twin girls!

Surprise! Baby #4 is due in March!
  • Options
    MAK06MAK06 member

imageDragonfly1226:
    I think I would do it. I have a history of m/c so I would like the idea of knowing both embies transferred were genetically normal. I can't believe you are stinking already! Good luck!!!

Thanks dear!  I can't believe it either!  I'm taking it one day at a time but getting a little nervous!  I only had 4 retrieved last time so we got super lucky that we had success.  Now they only do 6dt so I'm nervous I'll have any make it to that!  What's the update with you??  When's the next check?  Your levels better cooperate! 

• Options
    I wouldn't - if it is doing something I wouldn't be doing otherwise and no other discount?  I think the stress of cycing is too much already add on top of that the wonder if this study impacted the results?  Nope.  Offer me a super sweet discount and I'm in depending on what you are doing to my embryos.  I'm pretty over-protective of them, though!
  • Options
    We participated in a study, but it meant we got the IVF (including PGD) for free (we were OOP). Because of our issue (MFI) and no known genetic issues, I wouldn't have done the PGD unless it was included (they did it to be able to know which ones were in which 'group'). So, given the fact that you'd only be getting that for free, I'd probably say no, unless you really wanted it done but couldn't afford it.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I also did an IVF study but it meant the cycle was free.  I personally wouldn't do a study that could be potentially harmful to the outcome of a cycle without being offered some significant compensation.

BabyFruit Ticker
    Amber
    TTC since March '06
    MFI, LPD, possible PCOS
    3 chem pgs * m/c identical twins at 9w 10.06
    IVF w/ICSI #2 - beta - 187! (9dp5dt), beta - 367! (11dp5dt)
    IVF w/ICSI #3 - it's a girl!
    My IF Blog: Between the Lines
    My Parenting Blog: Letters From Your Mama
  • Options
    MAK06MAK06 member

imagesomethingchangd:
    I also did an IVF study but it meant the cycle was free.  I personally wouldn't do a study that could be potentially harmful to the outcome of a cycle without being offered some significant compensation.

Totally agree ... but it could be viewed two different ways:

1) It's potentially helpful because any chromosonal abnormalities would be detected therefore transferring an embryo that is healthy (I know it doesn't test for everything)

2) It could be harmful if temps or manipulation of embryo effects how it does. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"