TTC after 35

HSG tomorrow

I was totally okay with this until I spoke to a friend on the phone this evening and she told me it was more painful than childbirth.

Seriously?!? 

I have a really high pain tolerance and I will put up with pretty much anything to get this baby going, but I think I would have been happy to have been surprised by the pain instead of going into it knowing that I'm going to have a ton of it-- just thinking about it makes my uterus tense up. 

Anyone have stories about how not-painful there HSG was? Or how it only lasted 3 minutes?

*********************************************************************************************

"You have to do your own growing no matter how tall your grandfather was." 
        -- Abraham Lincoln

Me:39  MH:39 
DD born 6/1/2013 after 15 months of TTC with one loss.    
TTC #2: BFP 4/22 but stalled growth and no HB at 9w3d on 5/30        

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >
<br /> My Ovulation Chart</a>

Re: HSG tomorrow

• I remember it being pretty quick but also very painful, sorry. Not as painful as labor pains, but pretty painful. I had mine at CD5 and I think my cervix was closed shut that time of the month, hence the pain. It was the catheter that hurt, once they took it out, the pain vanished. If I had to do it again I would go close to my ovulation time, so my cervix is more open. I've heard from other women who only had mild discomfort. I think it helps a lot to take a high dose of Motrin about an hour before. I only took over-the-counter Aleve and it didn't do anything.

The upside is I got pregnant shortly after my HSG. It has a therapeutic effect and helps flush out your plumbing :) Good luck!

Me: 44 DH: 42. DS born healthy at 40 weeks 8/24/09. TTC since then with no luck or ART. Surprise BFP 8/6/14... MMC @ 8 weeks 4 days... Miss you everyday sweet baby angel.
  • It seriously didnt hurt worse than a menstral cramp.  It is very quick too, 5 minutes.  I took 400 mg of Tylenol an hour before.

good luck

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • I think for some people, it is very painful. I was not one of those people. I took a couple Ibuprofen before the appointment (as they should've advised you to do as well.) It was a little uncomfortable, but nothing too painful--it lasted maybe 5 minutes? It was my very first procedure I had done and the doctor explained what was going on, as I was watching it on the screen--pretty neat!  I was grateful for taking the rest of the day off work, as I was kinda crampy afterwards.

Good luck!

TTC since 10/2010
    IUIs # 1-5 = BFFN
    IVF # 1(July 2012) = BFN
    IVF # 2 (November 2012) = BFP (MIssed MC D&C @ 8w3d on 1/10/13)
    IVF # 3 (June 2013) = BFN 
    IVF # 4 (September 2013) = BFP Fraternal twin boys! (Loss at 21w6d due to IC on 1/26/14...devastated.)
    3/21/14--TAC (transabdominal cerclage) w/Dr. Davis in NJ
    IVF # 5 (May 2014) = BFN
    FET (August 2014) = BFN

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Thank you, Ladies!

This helps a lot! I read up about the procedure, but textbooks don't give you a sense of real-life experience.

And I need MH to pick up some Extra-Strength Motrin...

*********************************************************************************************

-- Abraham Lincoln

<a href="http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/3a2798" style="font-size:smaller;" >

• Good luck tmrw! I'd love to hear what your experience is like because if this cycle is bfn I'm supposed to get one before next iui...
    nate and teddy
    Me 41 DH 46  Not actively ttc, surprise BFP on 1/6/11! 4/1/11 m/c our sunshine at 16wks after complications from CVS test. TTC #2 **5th cycle 12/6/11 BFP! Missed m/c at 9 weeks 1/21/12, trisomy 14. Two Chemical PG 3/12&7/12
    ** BFP 8/16/12 beta #1 148! beta#2 407 beta #3 4000 u/s 9.10 1 lovely hb 126, Baby Boy is due 04/28/13!!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Mine was just temporarily uncomfortable, not painful.  Try to relax (easier said than done, I know) -- I think tenseness and nervousness can make it worse than it has to be.  I have to admit I'm kind of glad I had my HSG before I frequented these boards, so I didn't know HSGs could be painful for some people.  The ignorance helped.  ;-)
  • I have no experience to share but I wanted to say Good Luck!
    Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image
  • Thanks, Llama!

-- Abraham Lincoln

• Good luck with the test today!

I had the experience of it feeling like uncomfortable menstrual cramps. It was definitely uncomfortable, but for me it wasn't worse than that. I hope you have as pain-free experience as possible...

TTC since 3/2010. Me 41, DH-49. After 3 years, 6 IUIs and several IVFs we have finally have our beautiful baby girl, born on 11/7/13.

• Good luck!  Many people are fine and say that it is no big deal.  Let us know the results.  Also, if you check this before you go today, make sure that you take your own pad.  They will give you one that feels like a diaper.
    BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • Good Luck today!!!!
    Me: 37 DH: 37 TTC since Jan 2012. RE consult and initial testing done in Aug 2012: SA fine, AMH 1.1 & HSG clear - on way to IUI but got BFP on 9/10/2012. m/c 10/3/2012 at 6w5d. BFP next cycle which was a c/p. IUI #1: Clomid 100mg 12/6= BFN. IUI#2 (unmedicated) Jan 2013 = BFN. Hysteroscopy 1/25/13. IUI#3 Clomid 100mg 2/23 = BFN IUI# 4: BFN. IVF #1 April 2013, BFP!  EDD 1/12/14 with Boy!
  • Good luck, I agree with PP, I think it depends on the severity of blockage.  I had no blockages and it was definately uncomfortable but not unbearable by any means. But I would take a pain releiver before-hand and take a panty liner too.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I thought it was pretty painful, though the pain was quick.  I also took Advil before the appt., though not sure it helped.  I didn't have any blockages, so for me, that had nothing to do with the pain.  Good luck!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • My doctor gave me some Valium for beforehand also.  That definitely helps.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"