Infertility

results are in...Sperm count of 8 :/

yes ladies 8..not 8 million  just 8..im still shell shocked...

dh doesn't know yet and I'm dreading telling him i really don't want to break his heart, i have even highly debated on calling the doctor back and asking him to call josh and tell him, i just can't figure out what to do, if i were in his shoes i don't know who i would rather hear it from....major tug on my heart strings!

anyway i know the urologist is the next step but does anyone have any insight or experience with such a low count...are there any options for us at all, could there be something that could cause such a low count, i can't seem to find much online and i really hate being uneducated especially if i am going to be the one to tell him.

thanks in advance ladies! 

June 2009- Begin TTC November 2011- Laparoscopy to check for endometriosis (normal) HSG to check for clear tubes -(Normal) and hysteroscopy to check uterus (normal) April 2012- AMH checked- (5.8) thyroid and prolactin= normal....internal ultrasound- thin uterin lining indicating issues with ovulation April 2012- Semen Analysis- sperm count of 8

Re: results are in...Sperm count of 8 :/

• *sig warning*

I'm so sorry about his results, and I wish I had advice on how to break it to him. I think maybe just focusing on the next step to find the source of the issue is the best way to go about it. Men often just like to know that they can fix things. Who knows, he could just have some kind of blockage or something, right? GL to you both!  ((hugs))

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers 
    After 22 cycles and 4 failed IUIs, Serafina joined our family through IVF/ICSI, born 8.28.12
    Our surprise baby, Juliette, is due 12.8.14!

• I'm sorry about your results.  My husband has azoospermia, so we have zero sperm.  Like you, I also got the results and had to tell my husband.  I just told him that he dr called with his results and it was not good. I then told him that it didn't matter and we were in this together and I loved him with all my heart. I made sure not to cry at that moment and just be there for him. 

First thing is to find a uro that specializes in infertility....I can't stress that enough!  Do your research. 

TTC #1 since Dec. 2008 01/10 - DH diagnosed with Azoospermia 05/10 - First Biopsy - producing sperm :) 08/11 - Second Biopsy..4 vials frozen 08/12 - First IVF BFN & no more vials :( Don't know our next plan...
  • Loading the player...
  • My Husband also had a low sperm count. It turned out he had a prostate infection. They found a high amount of white blood cells in his count as well. He is now going to a Urologist. He gave him strong antibiotics and we wont find out what his new count is for a week or so. But  a urologist it the BEST next step! Our urologist told my husband if the count dosnt comeup then the next step would be IUI for us. So try to stay positive! At least the urologist can give you a game plan! Good Luck to you and your Husband!

image [IMG] 

• I got that phonecall at work as well, and had to tell my husband when I got home. It was really difficult and I told him it wasn't anything he did. They don't know what causes MFI. My OB said he could call her to better explain the numbers, so she was able to talk to him about it, and recommend a good urologist.  They'll definitely have him take more samples, they won't just base everything on one.

We're dealing with low count and hardly any movement.

Now we have an appt with a RE on 5/14. The urologist feels we may be able to do IVF, but it's up to the RE what options we have.

Hang in there! And there is a great support group here.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Married Sept 2008
    ~~TTC Nov 2010~~

IUI #2: 1/21/13-100mg Clomid(CD3-7)(8M post wash) + progesterone= BFP!! EDD 10/13/13
    Beta #1=81.1 Beta #2=134.5 Beta #3=58.1 #4=2369 WTH?!-Not sure if its viable
    2/21/13 - Went to RE expecting the worse and saw the flutter of the heart.To God be the Glory!!

5/29 - It's a Girl!!
    8/21/13 - Naomi born at 32w3d by csection due to Pre-E
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~ 
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    imagephoto A789AD50-EAFE-4955-A617-02358EF02DBE_zpsbxkk1n87.jpg
    My Wonder Woman!

• (((HUGS)))  It was so hard telling my DH that he was considered "infertile."  And that we would more than likely never conceive a child without ART. I think I was more heart broken than he was. 

Praying that you can find a good urologist and get some answers and a plan to move forward.

BabyFruit Ticker

06.10.12 +HPT 06.12.12 Beta #1 = 2,770 06.14.12 Beta #2 = 6,300
    1st U/S 06.18.12 2nd U/S 06.25.12
    09.24.12 It's a Boy!! ---> Jacob Owen

Our IF Journey Began: October 2009
    **8 Failed IUI's, 1 Blighted Ovum, & 1 Failed IVF**
    Dx: MFI, DOR w/MTHFR Homozygous A1298C & Hypothyroidism
    03.2012 Lab Results: FSH 6.83 AMH 0.67 TSH 3.8 E2 17
    SA 156 million 93% motility 3% morphology

Follow Me on Pinterest
    **~PAIF/SAIF Always Welcome~**
  • thank you soooo much ladies for your kind worlds of support, one step at a time is the mindset i am trying to be in and i hope my hubby can tell himself that as well....my doctor gave us two urologists to try so fingers crossed not all hope is gone! 

June 2009- Begin TTC November 2011- Laparoscopy to check for endometriosis (normal) HSG to check for clear tubes -(Normal) and hysteroscopy to check uterus (normal) April 2012- AMH checked- (5.8) thyroid and prolactin= normal....internal ultrasound- thin uterin lining indicating issues with ovulation April 2012- Semen Analysis- sperm count of 8
  • Our first SA was 5, and the RE said 2 are viable and 3 were dead.  They had DH do a repeat SA after abstaining for 6 days and that got his count up to 300,000 (which my RE said really means there's about 30 viable sperm - the 300,000 is based on a mathematical formula).  We moved forwarded with IVF/ICSI, and we were able to get good embryos.  I should note we had a lot of bloodwork done on DH before moving forward with our decision to do IVF. 

That said, I keep pushing my DH to go and see a urologist, and he keeps fighting me.  At this point we're not looking to "fix" any varicole issues he may have, but I want to confirm this is the reason for the almost non-existent count.

Sending lots of T&P's your way.  It's a hard diagnosis for husbands.  It's hard for them to watch you have to go through treatment.  Just be aware he's going to have a wide range of emotions.

There's an azoo check in on Wednesday, where there are other women going through the same thing.

(((hugs)))

Me: 35 DH: 37 TTC since 4/2010
    DX: 6/9/2011: Azoo ICSI/IVF only option for biological child
    IVF #1: ER - 9/26 * ET - 10/1 * beta#1 10/13 - 140 * beta#2 10/17 - 477 * beta#3 10/20 - 1101
    1st u/s at 6w6d - one hb * 2nd u/s at 8w3d - no hb detected 11/10/11 * natural m/c 11/13/11
    FET #1 Jan/Feb 2012 - 3 delays - cancelled 2/13
    FET #1.2 - May/June 2012 - ET 6/6/* beta#1 6/15 - 95 * beta #2 6/19 - 322 * beta #3 6/22 - 940
    7/6 1st u/s @ 7 weeks - one beautiful hb - released from RE
    EDD 2/22/2013
    PAIF/SAIF/PGAL welcome
    imageimageimageimage
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I don't have any advice, but wanted to give you (((HUGS)))
    After 5 TI Clomid cycles, 5 IUIs, and 2 IVFs we finally got our BFP!
    Beta#1 (12dp3dt)= 353, Beta#2 (15dp3dt)= 1466, Beta#3 (22dp3dt)= 14,139, First u/s: TWINS!!
    After 10 weeks of bedrest, our two little ladies joined us at 28w6d
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Ugh, I remember this conversation well with my DH. He took it so well, I was terrified and he was so positive that there was at least an answer for why we weren't getting pregnant. I did re-assure him that there we other options that we were open to. 

You might want to look into retrograde ejaculation, another member on my clinics IVF board had similar numbers as yours and that's what the issue was for them, shr's now pregnant after their first IVf/ICSI attempt! :) I hope the "talk" went well!  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Hi there. We have 14 sperm over here- all nonmotile. My DH has a y-chromosome microdeletion, and unfortunately there is not a good treatment for this. There are other causes for such severely low sperm count including varicocele's, genetic conditions, hormone imbalances, certain medications (like taking testosterone or steroids), and i'm sure there are others.

First, go see a urologist that SPECIALIZES in male infertility. This is important as some uro's do not know much about male infertility and you will waste your time.( I know this from personal experience) They will likely run a karyotype (that's what tells you of any genetic condition) and hormone panels. My DH also had an US of his scrotal area. Our diagnosis was pretty straightforward, but I know some men have to undergo a testicular biopsy.

As far as treatment goes, sometimes it's possible to increase counts, sometimes it is not. Right now, we are working on increasing counts/quality. Our uro says he may be able to bump our count up a little bit, but not to a level that we would not need IVF. My DH's testosterone was also very low, so we are treating that in hopes that his count will bump up a bit. (Any amount will help, right?!)  He's taking clomid for this. I also have him on a slew of supplements (conception XR, L-Carnitine, coq10) and he's also made alot of dietary changes as well as started exercising. I don't know if any of that will help, but we are trying to give it all we've got here.

From a RE's perspective, they will tell you all they need are enough sperm to fertilize the eggs. Unfortunately, with this severe of counts, there generally is a higher amount of chromosomally abnormal sperm. It's harder to make chromosomally normal embryos, but it's not impossible. I have seen success stories from this low of counts.

This is a completely devastating diagnosis and men take it especially hard. My DH wants nothing more than to give me a baby and he knows how painful this has been for me. I'm sorry that you guys are going through this.

DH: Severe MFI/Azoo Me: Compound heterozygous MTHFR
    IVF #1= m/c- methotrexate @6w2d
    FET #1= BFN
    IVF #2= m/c- D&C @8w5d
    IVF #3= Beta #1 9dp5dt= 252, Beta #2 11dp5dt= 417, Beta #3 17dp5dt= 4,952
    US #2 @ 7w2d= twins, baby B measuring behind
    US #3 @ 8w5d= Baby A doing well, no HR in baby B
    *S/PAIF always welcome* BabyFetus Ticker
  • first ((hugs)) I am so very sorry. I remember only too well the day we got the call with a result of 4. It was the worst moment of my life. I won't go into the details here, but my whole journey is on my blog if you want to read it. (link in siggy)

As for what to ask a urologist as LaLe said PLEASE make sure that you are going to a Uro that specializes in Male Factor Infertility. If not, they can make things a lot worse.

Here is a link from my DH's Uro's website. It will give you a basic understanding of Azoo, and then the site has helpful links and can educate you some and help you understand what to ask.

https://www.southwestvasectomyreversal.com/azoospermia-no-sperm/

There is also a check-in every Wednesday (sometimes Thursday when I am really busy) that you should join. The community there is wonderful and supportive.  

imageimage

Dx: DH - Azoo, Me - Mild PCOS
    DH - sperm found! Seems to produce only for a few days every 70 days!
    Over 1 million in cryo in 15 vials over 6 samples
    IVF #1 - 1 beautiful expanded blast transferred, 4 snowbabies - beta #1 11/30/11 = BFFN
    FET #1, transfered 2 embies 2/16/12 = BFFN; 1 snowbaby left in cryo
    IVF #2 + CGH = 4 genetically normal embies on ice. FET September 26th
    SAIF/PAIF always welcome

a special GL and prayers to my IF sister Gregermis

check out my blog!

• i just want you all to know how much your love and appreciation and advice means!! all of the wonderful suggestions i will be looking into! i am huge on educating myself so every bit of information is greatly appreciated!! my husband had to work late tonight so he has no idea yet but i am hoping the conversation goes as well as it can and we both can stay positive about it!!
  • Sorry to hear about your dh.  My dh has azoospermia which means a zero count. He had hormonal n genetic testing done at the urologist n both came out normal. Then in Feb he had TESE done which is an incision on the testicle and thank god they found sperm. So it's frozen to be used on my upcoming ivf. I also read on here of ladies dh taking supplements to increase their count. Good luck wth everything 

Me:30, DH:33 TTC : 2010 Dx: March 2011 Azoospermia. TESE Feb 2012, Sperm was found. Me:All Blood work are good. Tubes are clear. IVF w/ICSI May 2012, 5/27/12: 12R, 3F, 5/30/12: 2T HPT:6/9/12 = BFP! Beta#1 6/10/12 = BFP!128 Beta#2 = 278 Beta#3 = 3,000+ Beta#4 = 14,000+ imageBabyFruit Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • kaf7kaf7 member

We initially had diagnosis of azoospermia but now have a few after a year of injections for DH - but his issue was a hormonal one. Our Family doc called the house and spoke to DH directly so that part was taken care of. I think his heart actually broke telling me though.

There is a MFI check in that gets posted regularly on this board and there are lots of women on here with similar situations. I think the important part is to realize that 8 sperm is better than no sperm when trying to conceive biological children and that there are often things that can be done to improve counts. Good luck!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"