Two Under 2
Options

bedtime help!

Ok, so I'm totally eating my words here. I've posted in the past in response to other people's bedtime woes but now I'm in a pickle and want some advice.

I currently have a 2 year old and a 4 month old. My two year old is a terrible sleeper in general and has been his whole life. He's very high maintenance when it comes to sleep. My 4 month old sleeps like a dream. She's been STTN since like 2 weeks and has been known to go to sleep "drowsy but awake", which my son has never done.

I used to put on TV for my son and rock my daughter to sleep while I made dinner. She went down at 7:30 and he doesn't go to sleep until 9. It was working great. However, lately she hasn't been tired at 7:30 and is not going to sleep until 8:30 or 9. Doing bedtime one at a time was great but I can't keep doing it if she's not going to fall asleep until 8:30. So I think I'm going to have to switch up the routine and try to multi-task bedtime so that they can both get to bed at a reasonable hour. Any advice on a bedtime routine that would work with both kiddos?

PS - My husband works 2nd shift so he's not home at bedtime 6 nights/week (the 6th night is technically for the company softball team and he could be home by mid-bedtime but that would probably mess things up, so he goes out with friends afterwards) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: bedtime help!

• Options
    I don't have much advice as bedtime is pure chaos at our house lately. My DH usually has to work late during the week so I'm often on my own, too.

I'd love to hear what everyone else does.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

My husband's currently deployed and even when he's home, he's got wacky hours, so I do bedtime alone a lot. Sometimes the kids go to bed at the same time, but usually DD1 goes down an hour later than DD2.  For a night that they both go down at the same time, here's our routine:

After dinner, the girls play and we read some books.  Then we go upstairs and I get them in their pjs, wash faces, and brush teeth.  While I'm getting one child ready, the other is running around upstairs like a crazy person. They get baths every other to every third day.  They share a room and I put DD1 in bed first. Then, I pick DD2 up and let her rest her head on my shoulder for about ten seconds before I put her in her crib. 

You could try putting the baby in a bouncer, while you get your son ready for bed. Maybe he could read some books or do a quiet activity in his room, while you are getting the baby ready for bed?  You could also have him help you by getting her a diaper, pjs, etc or maybe try reading to him, while getting her dressed.

My kids have always been pretty good about falling asleep, but they are both craptastic sleepers, so I feel your pain there. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I am in the same situation as you. DD1 is an awfull sleeper and at 2 still needs to be cuddled to bed some nights. DD2 is a great sleeper.

Here's what I do most nights when DH is not at home during bed time. 6:30 DD2 goes into bath. DD1 helps. I nurse DD2 to sleep on the couch while DD1 reads or watches a program. 7:30 DD1 starts bedtime routine and is in bed by 8:00ish

Now some night DD2 will not cooperate- on these nights I still stick with the routine but have DD2 sit in a bouncer while DD1 showers and then I put DD2 on the living room floor while I put DD2 down to bed. Every so often the baby will start crying while I am trying to put her sister down and vise versa so I am back and forth for sometimes an hour before I finally get them down- but for the most part it's not so bad.

If possible I would try to rearrange the nap times for your 4 month old so that she is ready for bed before your toddler. If my baby is still asleep at 3:30 I wake her up so that she is ready to start her bedtime routine at 6:30. It is so much easier to put them to bed when they aren't tired at the same time!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I know it wasn't the point of this post but you've given me hope!  My 18 month old is and always has been an awful sleeper I thought that ment I was doomed and lo would be too.  Thanks for giving me hope that lo will sleep.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"