June 2011 Moms
Options

Food Find - Avocado Hummus!

If your kiddo loves avocados, like mine, this stuff is great! I found it at my grocery store this weekend. Good way to add lots of protein instead of just spreading smashed avocado on toast or crackers. I bought it, but I'm thinking it'd be way cheaper to make it, so I'll probably try that when we finish this package. Kind of a headslap moment for me, I never thought to mix the two :)

For lunch today I sent low sodium deli turkey spread with avocado hummus, rolled up, then sliced into bites. It looked like such a big girl lunch!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Re: Food Find - Avocado Hummus!

• Options
    Hm, never thought about sending deli turkey! That's a good idea!
    ~Chelsea~
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    image"">imageimage
  • Options

imagecvl105:
    Hm, never thought about sending deli turkey! That's a good idea!

I had to hunt for a brand that truly had low sodium, most of it has like 400mg (her whole daily allowance!) per 2oz. Boar's head makes one that is only 90, much better. Still has nitrites, but since nitrites = salt, I figure that low of sodium means it can't have that much. And I try to limit it to just a few times per week. But deli meat freezes really well! :)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

If your kiddo loves avocados, like mine, this stuff is great! I found it at my grocery store this weekend. Good

What store?!  Does it turn brown like guac?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Market Street! In the produce section with the cold salad dressings and precut veggies and stuff.

And nope, not brown at all so far. I need to check the brand, but the ingredient list is really clean, no preservatives, so it must just have enough citrus in it to keep it green (plus it's packaged pretty well, so not a lot of air gets in)

• Options
    My DD loves Avocado hummus! We had it when we visited my sister but can't find it in any stores near me now :-(
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

Market Street! In the produce section with the cold salad dressings and precut veggies and stuff.

And nope, not brown at all so far. I need to check the brand, but the ingredient list is really clean, no preservatives, so it must just have enough citrus in it to keep it green (plus it's packaged pretty well, so not a lot of air gets in)

I live a good distance from Market Street but I have to drive right by it today.  I am so going to pick this up!  Thanks! 

• Options

Thanks for the suggestion.  Also, I personally don't like either hummus or avocado, but it's good for Ty so this is a good way to get more protein.  Also, I was thinking of making a hummus dip for his party, and maybe I'll make this for a little variation.

Question, for those who thinks this sounds good... pita chips or tortilla chips? 

• Options
    imageTelly21182:

Question, for those who thinks this sounds good... pita chips or tortilla chips? 

Either would be fine. It tastes like smooth guacamole to me, so I can definitely picture it with tortilla chips. But I was eating it on whole wheat crackers and it still seemed to fit!

• Options
    Avocado hummus sound delicious! If you make your own, please share the recipe! And your DD's lunch sounds yummy!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"