Trouble TTC
Options

IUI and curved cervix

With the arrival of AF over the weekend, we're officially moving onto IUI. Of course I'm excited for this because of my H's performance anxiety during the most important days of TI and his minor MFI, but I'm already anxious because of my cervix.

My RE couldn't complete the HSG due to the curve/small opening of my cervix, so how will the IUI be any different? He said he'll have a nurse using the ultrasound screen to help him guide the catheter, but I'm already feeling pessimistic that it's not going to go well because the curve is so severe.

Any words of encouragement from ladies with a non-cooperative cervix?

Anniversary

Re: IUI and curved cervix

• Options

I also have a curved cervix and my doctor had a hard time doing the HSG. She told me to come in with a full bladder for my IUI's and so far it has been working a lot better than an empty bladder. The doctor said its easier to get the catheter through my cervix  when my bladder is full. Although they never used an ultrasound for guidance it wasn't needed with the full bladder.It's a little uncomfortable but not bad just a little cramping. You'll do great.

Good luck

TTC since 9/10 consult 1/12 All testing came back fine Diagnosed with Unexplained infertility -3 medicated IUI's All BFN IVF - ER 11/14 24R, 15M, 13F ET 11/19, BETA 11/28 BFFN --Next step FET in Jan ET scheduled for 1/24. Beta #1 350 Beta #2 735. U/S Hell. miscarriage D&C at 9weeks. FET #2 ET 5/28 cancelled FET# 2.5 6/26 ET Beta 7/5 302 7/7 Beta #2 632 Everyone welcome

image image
     imageimage

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imagedaiseydooda:

I also have a curved cervix and my doctor had a hard time doing the HSG. She told me to come in with a full bladder for my IUI's and so far it has been working a lot better than an empty bladder. The doctor said its easier to get the catheter through my cervix  when my bladder is full. Although they never used an ultrasound for guidance it wasn't needed with the full bladder.It's a little uncomfortable but not bad just a little cramping. You'll do great.

Good luck

This. And, one of the nurses explained that they need to use a different kind of catheter for me that they can put a kink in. A few times in the beginning they had to take it out and try again. They must have kept notes on what specifically worked, cause the last two were easy! The last nurse also positioned me a little differently (slightly closer or farther, I can't remember now) to tilt my cervix a little for easier access. Like anything with IF, I think they experiment until something works right for your body. GL!
    Dx: LPD, late ovulation;
     July 2012:IUI #6 on 7/28, BFP on 8/9,beta 97, 8/11 189, 8/13 400!!   DS born 4/18!
    9/30/13 - Miracle BFP, released from RE 10/21, EDD 6/6/14, DD born 5/27!
    6/19/16 - Miracle BFP, EDD 2/25/17

• Loading the player...
  • Options

****Ticker Warning****

I was lurking a bit and saw this -this is me too. In fact, my curve is so weird that they never did get the catheter all the way in for either of my IUIs (I had 3 nurses try, multiple types of catheters, all the drama).

I was sure my cervix was "broken" and I cried for days after thinking I'd never be able to do an IUI right...only to get a bfp. So rest assured, it can still work even if they don't get all the way in. They'll do the best they can, and sometimes it's enough!

Also, I took an advil about 30 minutes before mine, and it helped a ton with the cramping during the procdeure. Full bladder too (but not crazy full - they made me empty mine partially. I guess teachers have different levels of sensitivity to full bladders? Ha!)

Good luck!

Married November 2009 ~ Sam is here! (12/26/12)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

Thanks so much, everyone. You all have given me hope that it may not be as impossible as I thought.

And Litgirl, I absolutely have been feeling the same way about my cervix being "broken" and therefore impossible to correctly do an IUI, so it's GREAT to hear a success story. Thanks for chiming in!

Anniversary
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"