August 2011 Moms
Options

I kind of feel bad

My friend had a party this weekend to celebrate her birthday and introduce us to her little one. It was a small-ish gathering (maybe 10 people) and the only kids other than my friend's baby were my DD's.

The party went really well. I was a little worried about DD1 getting bored but everyone played with her so she ended up having a blast. Which I thought was great, until we left and my friend made a comment to the effect that DD1 "stole the show". She didn't seem mad, but she didn't say it in a "Ha ha" tone either.

Thing is, I guess it's true. DD1 did get tons of attention. More than my friend's baby. But then again, my friend's baby is 2 months old, and he spent most of the time we were there sleeping, so I'm not sure how he could have gotten more attention.

How would you feel if you were in my shoes? In my friend's? Should I apologize? Or would that really only add salt to the wound? Am I overthinking this? 

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickersimage
imageAlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
Farewell, nesticle, you will be missed
Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I kind of feel bad

• Options

You should NOT feel bad.  And, your friend had better have been joking.

Seriously, a toddler has no idea how to be anything but herself.  So, if she's stealing the show, it's purely innocent.  She doesn't know how to undermine someone, or be an AW.  

I'm glad that everyone was so accommodating of her.  That's a great group of folks right there.   

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I don't think you should feel bad at all. Your D is just a little girl. Your friend needs to get over it and why would she feel this way....maybe just the PP emotions going. I am sure she will come to her senses.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Overthinking it IMO. I would say it's likely not a big deal. If she is in fact upset that a toddler 'stole the show' then she's BSC and doesn't deserve any type of apology.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageJaysonandKristin:

Seriously, a toddler has no idea how to be anything but herself.  So, if she's stealing the show, it's purely innocent.  She doesn't know how to undermine someone, or be an AW.  

I'm glad that everyone was so accommodating of her.  That's a great group of folks right there.   

THIS. It would be quite different if your daughter was throwing large tantrums at every turn. She was being sweet and enjoyable. People need to appreciate that these days, you don't see it very often from young children anymore!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagewhitney1170:
    imageJaysonandKristin:

THIS. It would be quite different if your daughter was throwing large tantrums at every turn. She was being sweet and enjoyable. People need to appreciate that these days, you don't see it very often from young children anymore!

Yup.

• Options
    I think I would leave it alone with your friend.  It's not really something you had control over (unless perhaps your daughter wasn't really invited)  so it's not something you need to apologize for.  But, I have to say that I do get where she's coming from.  She assumed that she and her own child would be the center of attention, which is why she threw the party to begin with, so I can understand her being slightly upset if she then felt your dd got all the attention.  I'm not saying she doesn't need to grow-up and move on but just that I can understand.  I'm used to dealing with this as my children weren't invited to my brother-in-laws wedding because he and his fiance were afraid too much attention would be on them and that has continued with them requesting our children not attend some family functions for the same reason.  It's annoying but whatever.

Kelly, Mom to Christopher Shannon 9.27.06, Catherine Quinn 2.24.09, Trey Barton lost on 12.28.09, Therese Barton lost on 6.10.10, Joseph Sullivan 7.23.11, and our latest, Victoria Maren 11.15.12

Secondary infertility success with IVF, then two losses, one at 14 weeks and one at 10 weeks, then success with IUI and then just pure, crazy luck.  Expecting our fifth in May as the result of a FET.

This Cluttered Life

• Options

imageitsmevkb:
    I think I would leave it alone with your friend.  It's not really something you had control over (unless perhaps your daughter wasn't really invited)  so it's not something you need to apologize for.  But, I have to say that I do get where she's coming from.  She assumed that she and her own child would be the center of attention, which is why she threw the party to begin with, so I can understand her being slightly upset if she then felt your dd got all the attention.  I'm not saying she doesn't need to grow-up and move on but just that I can understand.  I'm used to dealing with this as my children weren't invited to my brother-in-laws wedding because he and his fiance were afraid too much attention would be on them and that has continued with them requesting our children not attend some family functions for the same reason.  It's annoying but whatever.

What the eff? No offense, but they sound like the children. I don't want to be somewhere that my child(ren) are not also invited (with the exception of a rare adult-only night out) but weddings and family functions? That's crazy.

• Options

Thanks ladies - You all make me feel better :) 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageitsmevkb:
    IBut, I have to say that I do get where she's coming from.  She assumed that she and her own child would be the center of attention, which is why she threw the party to begin with, so I can understand her being slightly upset if she then felt your dd got all the attention.

I know - and that's why I kind of feel bad.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"