November 2011 Moms

SLEEP

How much sleep is your LO getting?  My DD doesn't seem to be getting enough sleep.  She sleeps about 9-10 hours a night then during the day she takes 3 sometimes 4 20 minute naps.  By the end of the day she seems to be getting grouchy and constantly rubs her eyes but will not sleep like she's afraid she will miss something.  Is anyone else's LO like this?  What are some good tips to try to get her to sleep more?  TIA!

Re: SLEEP

• What time is she going to bed at night? DD has been wanting to go to bed earlier in the last couple of weeks. Her bedtime used to be 8, but now she's fussy around 6:30, so she's in bed by 7. She STTN until ~6:30 and takes 2- 2hour naps during the day.
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • She's usually in bed by 8 but starts fussing around 7.  If we put her down early though she just cries and cries until we hold her.  She gets up twice a night to eat still so she's not STTN yet.  Her eyes just get so red and tired but she just doesn't want to fall asleep or stay asleep.

• Loading the player...
  • Lilly sleeps from about 8pm-7am and takes 2  one hour naps a day.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Do we have the same kid?!  My DD is the same way.  I tried moving up her bedtime but that didn't work.  She sleeps 10-11 hours at night, and depending on what time she wakes for a feeding, she'll maybe go back down.  I usually put her to bed around 7, sometimes she falls right to sleep and other nights she fusses until 7:30.  She also takes 3 30-minute naps.  In every other way, she seems totally fine, but like your DD she does get fussy in the evenings.  I think that's really normal. 

One thing I do is make sure she gets a nap right after she comes home from daycare.  DH picks her up around 4:30, I get home a little after 5 and then nurse/rock her for 20-30 minutes.  That usually helps calm her down and makes her not so fussy in the evenings.  I wish I could tell you I figured out how to get her to nap well... hopefully someone here has!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• imageJenny952:

Do we have the same kid?!  My DD is the same way.  I tried moving up her bedtime but that didn't work.  She sleeps 10-11 hours at night, and depending on what time she wakes for a feeding, she'll maybe go back down.  I usually put her to bed around 7, sometimes she falls right to sleep and other nights she fusses until 7:30.  She also takes 3 30-minute naps.  In every other way, she seems totally fine, but like your DD she does get fussy in the evenings.  I think that's really normal. 

One thing I do is make sure she gets a nap right after she comes home from daycare.  DH picks her up around 4:30, I get home a little after 5 and then nurse/rock her for 20-30 minutes.  That usually helps calm her down and makes her not so fussy in the evenings.  I wish I could tell you I figured out how to get her to nap well... hopefully someone here has!

Glad to see my LO isn't the only one!  I might have to try the nap after Daycare though.  She's usually wide awake as soon as we get home so I'll try getting her to sleep a bit.

• Cries and cries until you hold her? How long are you letting her cry? I might get flamed for this, but she may be crying until you hold her because you hold her when she cries. :-/ Have you tried letting her cry for 5 minutes, rubbing her back and comforting her without picking her up, then 10, then 15 minutes? We did this with DD and she got the hang of it after a couple of times. (We still do this if she wakes up in the middle of the night and she falls asleep after the first time of comforting.) Can your DD put herself to sleep or does she need rocking?
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagegracefulruby33:
    Cries and cries until you hold her? How long are you letting her cry? I might get flamed for this, but she may be crying until you hold her because you hold her when she cries. :-/ Have you tried letting her cry for 5 minutes, rubbing her back and comforting her without picking her up, then 10, then 15 minutes? We did this with DD and she got the hang of it after a couple of times. (We still do this if she wakes up in the middle of the night and she falls asleep after the first time of comforting.) Can your DD put herself to sleep or does she need rocking?

I usually only let her cry about 10-15 minutes before I go and pick her up.  She's only put herself to sleep a couple times.  Usually she needs to be rocked or nursed to fall asleep.  I've never tried rubbing her back or anything like that.  I may have to give that a try.

• My DD gets about 11 hrs at night and 2-3 hrs during the day.  I know she's supposed to get 14-15 hrs of sleep a day and we always seem to come up a little short.

She is not very fussy in the evenings anymore.  We start bedtime around 7pm, but she's usually pretty happy up until that point, especially if she had a decent afternoon nap at daycare.

I agree with PP that you should keep working on getting your LO to sleep earlier, even if it means some crying at first.

• I'd definitely try methods to encourage her falling asleep on her own, without having to be rocked or nursed, if you are ready/up for the challenge.  :)  We all know nothing will work if you aren't ready to give it the ole college try. 

When DD hit the 4mwp, she started wanting to be nursed at 4am.  I did this about 10 times in 3 weeks and it became a habit.  Well, I had to rationalize the problem if I did not feed her:  she would not starve, and she would not fall back to sleep if she truly needed me.  So, the next night, she cried for 12 minutes.  If it became blood curdling, I went in and gave her her plug/paci.  But, I did not look her in the eye and I did not talk to her.  I patted her and gave her the plug.  She kicked the habit almost immediately.  I was so proud of her. 

Right now, DD has been sick for 3.5 weeks so she literally does not sleep at all at night.  But, during the day, she takes about 2 or 3 1hr naps.  It almost works out that every other hour she sleeps.  Since I became a SAHM last week, she is like clock work on this schedule, and it's her schedule, not mine.  I just follow her cues.  All last week and this weekend I bounce her to sleep by walking around the house. 

Today, I am attempting to do every nap in her crib without any assistance.  I have laid her down 2x so far, and she has cried for 15 min and then 30, with me going in every now and then for pats, rubs and her plug.  My goal is for her to learn that the crib is for sleeping, not waking up in.  As in, she goes to sleep in mommy's arms and wakes up in her crib.  I want her to associate her crib as a safe place to FALL asleep.  So, we are doing a loose-ferber method today. 

Next goal, lose the plug as a security to fall asleep.  But, I am not emotionally strong enough or ready to do that right now.  :)

• Do you have a bedtime routine yet? Mine falls asleep a lot easier at night if I keep things chill after his last nap of the day. No more rolling around on the floor. I'll give him a bath, put lotion on him, maybe carry him around on a quiet, short walk outside, or sit and "read" some books together. The nights he has trouble falling asleep are usually the ones where someone (DH...) gets him all excited late in the evening.
    Raising a threenager since 11/11
    Baby boy #2 due 5/6/15
  • I have the same baby. Today we are starting the Ferber method. I'm all done with the whole nonsense of having to rock/bounce/shush/pat on the back combo for 20-30 minutes every time he needs a nap or needs to go down for the night. This mom needs some rest after a week of him waking up ever 45 minutes from 6:45pm to 6 am. Good luck to you! If you find a solution that works please let me know!!
  • DS's bedtime is 6:30. Then he'll wake up 2-3 times before 11:00pm to eat, but falls right back to bed. Then wakes up 2-3 more times before 8:00 am. Is up for an hour, then goes down for a 1 hour nap. Takes 2 more 1 hour naps during the day. Then back to bed at 6:30 :)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"