Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Frustrated with breast pump

My baby is one month today. I didn't originally plan to nurse, but she wouldn't take formula and here we are! Now, I'm happy to be nursing, but will soon return to work.  We bought the Evenflow single breast pump since we didn't want to spend a lot of money, but I can't seem to get it to work.  It may be that I'm just nervous about it and doing it wrong...  It hurts when I have tried and I've only gotten a few drops into the bottle.  Am I doing something wrong?  Should i  just go ahead and get the more expensive pumps like the Madella?  I don't believe the issue is my milk supply since baby is doing fine.  Thanks for any advice!
Krystal

Re: Frustrated with breast pump

• Yeah, I heard you get what you pay for...
    m/c - Dec 2005, DS - March 27, 2007, m/c - Oct 2009, DD - Feb 20, 2012

Proud mother of two breech babies:)

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My fear is, what if I am just not able to pump?  I can't afford to buy something I can't use.  Reviews I read on Evenflow said it worked fine for them... 
    Krystal
  • Loading the player...
  • I got the "The first years miPump" single pump for about $50.  I was really frustrated the first couple of times, but I stuck with it.  Hand express a little milk first then use the pump, the miPump has different levels of suction so I started low, it hurt at first but it doesn't bother me now.   I only wish now I had gotten the double so it was more efficient with the time invested.  Try yours a few more times before you give up or spend money on another.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I would keep trying. You could talk to a lactation consultant for help or call the pump company for help. If you do decide to get a new pump, check with yur insurance company. You may get it for free or a greatly reduced price. 

I have a Medela Freestyle and love it.  

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would try the Avent double pump...I heard it's really the best one you can get for the price.  I have a Medela pump, but only because I'm on WIC and going back to school...they gave it to me.  I've always heard that most women who pump for the first time don't get a whole lot from it (something about the suction is different and your body has to adjust to it...the baby will always be more effective at getting milk out).  Just keep trying...you'll get it soon.  If you're concerned that you're doing something wrong, read the pump's manual and follow everything word for word...Also, make sure (dunno if your pump has a low-high setting) that it's set on Low and that you have the shield placed right (your nipple should be centered in there and you should have the shield pressed snug against your breast so there's no openings around it).  If you continue to have problems with pumping, try learning to hand express...sometimes it's faster than pumping if you do it right.  Hope this helps.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageJohnandKrystal:
    My fear is, what if I am just not able to pump?  I can't afford to buy something I can't use.  Reviews I read on Evenflow said it worked fine for them... 

A decent pump will probably run you around $250, but if you were planning to formula feed that would only be like 10 cans of formula, so really the pump is a bargain. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • raefreraefre member

imageJohnandKrystal:
    My fear is, what if I am just not able to pump?  I can't afford to buy something I can't use.  Reviews I read on Evenflow said it worked fine for them... 

I was afraid of the same thing.  As a result, I rented a pump first to see if it worked.  They do daily, monthly, and 3-month subscriptions at the place I rented mine.  Once you are sure you are comfortable, you can then buy a pump that does what you want it to. 

The other thing to consider, the single pump may  not work well for work.  Most women tend to get more when the double pump and, if you are like me and have a limited time to pump at work, a single pump is just not going to cut it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"