Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Awake at night...forever.

DD sleeps like a champ all day, but won't sleep at night. She fights it terribly. It takes us about two hours to get her down (she's in our room; routine = change, swaddle, bottle (I EP), swing) then she sleeps for four or so hours. When she gets up after that four hours, she's f'ing wide awake. Usually it's about an hour or so to get her back down, but tonight it's been TWO HOURS. I'm about to start the whole feed/change process over again. I always end up bringing her downstairs so DD doesn't wake up DS, and so DH can get some sleep before work. I have to go back to work in about six weeks and I'm terrified of what this will look like by then. I'm also SO tired of not sleeping with DH. It makes me sad. I know six weeks is too early to CIO, but any other ideas come to mind? I'm quickly losing my sanity. TIA!

Note: We haven't moved her to the crib yet or her room because I'm terrified. Once we put her in the swing, she usually sleeps for 10 minutes then pops awake...and so the battle begins of trying to get her down "for good." 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
CafeMom Tickers

Re: Awake at night...forever.

• Have you tried reducing how long she sleeps during the day?  I was letting DS take a couple of long naps (2-3 hours) during the day, but then he wouldn't sleep at all at night.  So I started letting him take shorter naps (1-1.5 hours) and gently waking him up and he's done a lot better.  

I also try to do some activities that will tire him out before bed.  We usually do tummy time, back time, bath, lotion and pajamas.  After all of that, he's usually ready to eat and go to sleep.   

• Going through the same thing with my LO. She will be sooooo tired rubbing her eyes, yawning and will take forever to get to sleep. She'll fall asleep in my arms then 5-10 mintes later gets all mad cries and I have to rock her or walk aroun with her to calm her down for sometimes two hours! I always pay attention to her cues and as soon as I see her getting tired I try to get her down but then she fights it. If I try to put her down awake but her drowsy HA that won't work she will literally wake rgith up and start trying to play. I'm like WHUT! Then she gets herself so overtired.

Follow Me on Pinterest Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imagemlee116:

Have you tried reducing how long she sleeps during the day?  I was letting DS take a couple of long naps (2-3 hours) during the day, but then he wouldn't sleep at all at night.  So I started letting him take shorter naps (1-1.5 hours) and gently waking him up and he's done a lot better.  

I also try to do some activities that will tire him out before bed.  We usually do tummy time, back time, bath, lotion and pajamas.  After all of that, he's usually ready to eat and go to sleep.   

I don't know how you would restrict sleep time during the day... if she's tired, let her sleep.  I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think it's just part of the process.  She will get it figured out and you will sleep again-- newborns are up in the night, just how it is!  It will get better over time and she will learn to settle herself, etc.  It stinks when their schedule doesn't jive with ours-- believe me, I know how you feel, DS is up literally every 2-3 hours at night to eat.  I know it will end and we will sleep again.  I the meantime, I am just getting through it.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemommybrynn:

I don't know how you would restrict sleep time during the day... if she's tired, let her sleep.  I know you probably don't want to hear this, but I think it's just part of the process.  She will get it figured out and you will sleep again-- newborns are up in the night, just how it is!  It will get better over time and she will learn to settle herself, etc.  It stinks when their schedule doesn't jive with ours-- believe me, I know how you feel, DS is up literally every 2-3 hours at night to eat.  I know it will end and we will sleep again.  I the meantime, I am just getting through it.

I think this is right. I def don't want to restrict sleep. I think it just is what it is. Boo. I think I see CIO in our future...months away yet, so I'm hopeful she figures herself out and we can avoid CIO when she hits the 4 - 5 month mark!

CafeMom Tickers
  • This is temporary. It will pass.  Our LO did the same thing.  Sleep when she sleeps, if you can.

During those night time feeds, keep it simple.  Feed, rock, and back to bed. Do a diaper change only when necessary.  We use a pacifier and it was a lifesaver.  I don't know how you feel about them (I might get flamed for it), but it worked for us. :) 

Longer nights of sleep are coming... 

Married my Best Friend on 7/8/07 Welcomed our very own Little Miracle on 2/9/12 Life is GOOD...
  • Check out "happiest baby on the block". The 5s's work wonders! Swaddle her tightly (even if she fights it), sh in her ear (loudly), put her in her side or tummy, swing her, and paci.  Look em up online, there is a YouTube vid of a dad doom this and it works!
  • imageBigIsland07:
    imagemommybrynn:

I think this is right. I def don't want to restrict sleep. I think it just is what it is. Boo. I think I see CIO in our future...months away yet, so I'm hopeful she figures herself out and we can avoid CIO when she hits the 4 - 5 month mark!

Ditto that to the CIO-- DS is probably going to be doing this then too... we ended up doing it with DD and it was the ONLY way she STTN! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • The five S's are not the issue here. She's happy and content -- just awake. Wanting to be held. She'll sit happily in the swing for about 20 minutes, then wants to be held (and resumes her content nature when held). Doesn't matter how tightly she's swaddled, how loudly she's shushed...these don't lull her into sleep. And if they do, she "pops awake" just a few minutes after being put down. Thanks, though!
    CafeMom Tickers
  • Just a quick update. I talked with my pedi this afternoon, and she thinks DD's days/nights are mixed up. She suggested waking her every two-three hours during the day (really, she said every two), and keeping her awake for at least an hour -- no more than two. DD was also taking like two hours to put down, so DH and I decided to put her down at 8 p.m. tonight, instead of 9 or 10. This is mostly so that if she decides to take forever to put down, we can still get to bed at a decent hour. I've also decided that because she "pops awake" five minutes after we put her down, we're going to let her fuss it out a bit. Certainly not CIO, but we're comfortable letting her cry for 10 minutes or so. I know you can't sleep train at this age because they don't get it, but if she has to cry for 10 minutes to sleep for a few hours, I'll take it.

This whole waking her up during the day thing is backwards from what I normally do (and did with DS) -- let them sleep as much/long as they need it. BUT, after being up from 2:30 - 6 a.m. with DD last night, I'm at the point where I dread bedtime and am willing to give it a shot!

I welcome any input/thoughts/advice!

CafeMom Tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"