Parenting after a Loss

Stopping Progesterone and Preterm Labor

Hi ladies congrats on being parents and your new babies! 

I have a questions I'm hoping you guys can help me with. I'm currently 31wks. I've had three losses with my lost one being at 19wks 3dys. I had severe bleeding the whole time with unknown causes and the ob I had at that time didn't feel it would help to send me to someone else.

Needless to say I got a new ob and I have been taking progesterone since 4wks along. with a wonderfully normal pregnancy so far.

At my recent sono baby was measuring 3wks ahead and estimated 5lbs. My ob decided to stop my shots early. He was going to wait till 36wks so as to prevent preterm labor but since baby is looking great and big he doesn't want to stop me from going early. He's actually hoping I do, lol. 

I was taking 100mg twice a week and my last level was at 71. I'm completely fine with stopping. I'm just curious if anyone who had taken progesterone to prevent preterm and stopped it, how long was it before you went in to labor.

I do realize babies come when they're ready and stopping the shots doesn't mean I'll go early.  

Thanks ladies!  

Re: Stopping Progesterone and Preterm Labor

• I'm so sorry for your loss. Regardless of baby size, I would probably do everything I could to prevent preterm birth. Progesterone shots have proven to be worth while for someone who has previously experienced PTL. Ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate for measuring size. Plus, a big baby could still have under developed lungs or other issues associated with preterm birth. I am a little concerned that your doctor hopes you go early.

If it were my choice, I'd continue the shots. Are you just doing them once a week? Or what's the treatment plan there? They usually stop the shots at 37 weeks, so you only have a few weeks left of them anyway.

Good luck!! I hope whatever happens you have a healthy baby :)

I married a ginger.
    m/c 12/25/09 (5w5d) mm/c D&C 4/9/10 (11w1d) Take home baby 2/22/11
    My boobies belong to cour10e
  • I have no insight into the progesterone issue but I hope you make it to at least 39 weeks since studies show every bit of extra cooking time up to then helps baby. Growth u/s's are notoriously inaccurate.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies. I think he felt that my body was sustaining the progesterone on its own since my levels were so high. I don't plan on letting him induce me or csection early based on an ultrasound. Too many risks I feel, just like you guys said too risky to chance it on something that can be off. 

Ever since 24wks the levels have been great before that they were so low it was definitely needed badly.  

Big babies are delivered normally all the time.

I think with my last loss, my placenta was suffering from such a deficit that there was no way it could keep up and overcome the fact that my hormone was so low.  

• imagevflipo:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Regardless of baby size, I would probably do everything I could to prevent preterm birth. Progesterone shots have proven to be worth while for someone who has previously experienced PTL. Ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate for measuring size. Plus, a big baby could still have under developed lungs or other issues associated with preterm birth. I am a little concerned that your doctor hopes you go early.

If it were my choice, I'd continue the shots. Are you just doing them once a week? Or what's the treatment plan there? They usually stop the shots at 37 weeks, so you only have a few weeks left of them anyway.

I had been doing em twice a week since about 22wks before that it was doubled dose twice a week. He bases the level off of a chart they use to determine the range your hormone should be in. 

The original plan was to keep on em till 36 wks then start a wean off.  

Thank you and I'm praying this baby keeps staying as healthy as it has been!  

• imagevflipo:

I'm so sorry for your loss. Regardless of baby size, I would probably do everything I could to prevent preterm birth. Progesterone shots have proven to be worth while for someone who has previously experienced PTL. Ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate for measuring size. Plus, a big baby could still have under developed lungs or other issues associated with preterm birth. I am a little concerned that your doctor hopes you go early.

This.  I just wanted to add that DS was estimated to be over 10 lbs based on the growth scans I had.  He ended up being 8 lbs 2 oz at birth.  Those scans can be wildly inaccurate which people told me while I was pregnant and I didn't believe, but sure enough...

Best of luck to you! 

TTC #1 since 8/09
    BFP#1 - 9/2/10, EDD 5/14/11, Twins Hannah and Liam lost 11/7/10 @ 13w1d.
    BFP #2 - 2/9/11, EDD 10/13/11, LO lost 2/13/11 @ 5w4d
    BFP #3 - 5/9/11, DS born 1/13/12

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    ~*~My BFP Chart~*~Our Story~*~
    ~*~Labor Buddies with Sweet Turnip - Welcome Baby Girl 2/23/12 & Aluenna - Welcome Ivy 1/6/12~*~
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"