Working Moms

Going back to work question!!

Hi I go back to work on May 7th :( and have to start pumping at work. I work 4am-12pm and my Boss gave me a choice I can take two 10 min brakes to pump probly at 7am and 10am or I can take just one 30 min break at 8am!! What would you do? I want to make sure I get as much milk for him as I can to cover his bottles at daycare. Thank you so much for any advise

also my son is 11Lbs and is 14 weeks old and he eats every 3 hours. How many oz's should i give him per bottle thanks!!

Re: Going back to work question!!

• I go back May 7, too.  I'd recommend two shorter breaks.  You really should pump about every 3 hours to keep your supply up.  Some can get away with doing it less often, but I wouldn't count on it.  I will start with 4 3-oz bottles for DS and plan on sending 4 4-oz bottles as he gets bigger and more used to the bottle.  DD never took more than 4 oz at a time, and I'm assuming DS will be similar.  We'll see.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • 10 minutes is a very short amount of time to pump and you will probably need to pump more than once.  Does your state have any laws in place for nursing moms?  Federal law says that an employer needs to provide ample time and a sanitary place.  I'm not sure that 10 minutes is ample time to pump.  They don't have to pay you though while you are pumping.
  • Loading the player...
  • ok thank you so much for your help!! this helped alot. Good luck on the 7th its going to be a hard day for the both of us.

• If you qualified for FMLA then you should speak with your HR. I had to get a pump room key, I didn't realize that so it as difficult the first day.  I'm not sure what stare you are in, there are state laws too that can help. You should be entitled to a non paid break every 2 hours to pump. Pumping itself takes about 10-15minutes, plus you need time to walk to the room, get undressed and hook yourself up. 
  • I needed at least 15 minutes to pump, between setting everything up and putting everything away. It sounds like you don't have a desk job where you can pump while working. Is there anything you can work on while pumping, like paperwork, so the time doesn't count against you? If not, then I'd ask for extra time to pump, but offer to take it as an unpaid break and stay at work an extra 30 minutes at the end of your shift.
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"