Postpartum Depression
Options

When do you decide to start meds?

Background-- I suffered from mild depression (anxiety + insomnia) years ago as my husband and I embarked on a huge life change (moved across the country--got new jobs). What finally worked for me was Effexor. I was on it about a year, felt great, weaned off of it and had no problems. Occasionally I suffer from insomnia but now my husband (who is a naturopathic doctor) has given me a realm of natural things I try (homeopathics, flower essences, etc). These things have worked fine until I gave birth.

My son is 3.5 weeks old. After 1.5 weeks, I started having extreme anxiety during the day. Not specific worries, per se, just a constant pit in my stomach and feeling anxious/nervous. It used to only be in the afternoons/evenings, but on days when I hadn't had enough sleep, it was all day. Then I had a few days where I had the opportunity to nap and was so anxious I couldn't. Then I had a few nights where the baby was sleeping and I couldn't. I am miserable without my sleep.

I called my OB and told her what happened at the end of that bad week, they gave me zanax to help me sleep and a prescription for Welbutrin. Well, I felt like it was hormone related because before I needed to take the meds, I kind of snapped out of it. I used my herbal + homeopathic remedies and little by little last week, I felt better and better and better. Phew. I was relieved to not have to start the Welbutrin b/c what if it's just crazy hormones that will pass?

Now this week--back to square one. Major anxiety, trouble sleeping. I finally took the zanex and it did help chill me out at night and get some chunks of sleep between feeding the baby... but this afternoon, he went down for a solid nap and I had to force myself to just lay there for 45 minutes and relax...because I couldn't sleep (even though I am exhausted).  Hormones? Or should I try the meds? I feel like it's a vicious cycle b/c the more anxious I am the less I want to eat which makes me feel like I'm not making enough milk for my little guy (I'm EBF). I want to just relieve this anxiety and enjoy my baby! My husband is supportive of whatever I need to do but b/c I had such a good week last week he thinks I don't really need the meds...

Re: When do you decide to start meds?

• Options
    I developed a little system to help me identify the "breaking point". If I take my Xanax (Klonopin for me) for three days straight, it might be a good time to consider taking the medication. I haven't gotten there yet, but at least I know if I do, I should deeply consider taking the medication. You may also want to look into Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction, I am on week 3 of a 6 week class and it has been helping. You can breastfeed and take the medication. I was on Remeron, great for the sleeping and the eating for me, which was a huge problem and I lost a bunch of weight. You might want to request Remeron. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

THis sounds a lot like me. I started taking the meds Saturday when I for flashback feelings from my emergency csection. Dd is only 4 weeks old. I sleep better now during the night but the days are horrible. I have my aunt helping me. And my mom comes after work. DH is very supportive of me. I am also starting therapy today.  

Mr and Mrs EST 8.19.06

DD#1 3.28.12
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    You described exactly how I felt. I had a hard time knowing if the anxiety caused the insomnia or the insomnia caused the anxiety. I would get so frustrated when he would nap and I couldn't sleep at all. I even took ambien and couldn't sleep. My ob gave me Zoloft and I have been on it about a week, I feel a million times better. I have gotten more sleep, so it is a toss up do I feel better from the sleep or the meds? I don't know and I don't care, I feel better and can take better care of my son. GL with your decision.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I waited 7 months to go to the doctor and have been on Zoloft for a month due to PPA. Been feeling better and sleeping better and I can manage my anxiety now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I started the Welbutrin 3 days ago but still need the Zanex to sleep at night. 2 nights ago, I slept great (got a 6 hour stretch, then another 2.5 hours after feeding the little guy). Yesterday felt like a million bucks. Still had anxiety but b/c I was rested, it wasn't "negative" anxiety...just felt kind of "keyed up". Last night-- back to square one...tried to go to sleep without Zanex...no dice, took it (felt guilty b/c of the breastfeeding) did get some sleep, woke up this morning with anxiety again... so hopefully in a few days the Welbutrin will start to work.  I just love my little guy and want to enjoy him-- he really is a calm, happy baby--why is mommy such a wreck?

Thanks for your feedback, guys--it really does help. 

• Options

PPD/PPA hit me like a mack truck at 7 months PP.  The sever insomnia was the worst part and I started calling people right away.  You cannot live on no sleep and it is also a vicious cycle...no sleep causes anxiety and anxiety causes no sleep.  I know I needed help and meds. 

-I currently take 600mg of Serequel--helps with a racing mind and helps keep you asleep.

-I also use 100mg of Trazodone.  It is an anti-depressant/anti-anxiety and also helps with sleeplessness. 

-And I take 2mg of Klonopin right before bed.  It is given to people who have panic attacks.  It is a benzo (same class as Xanax and Ativan) and will help calm you down so you can fall asleep. 

*I HATE being on drugs...but I have to be right now.  I know some day I won't need them, but for now...they are a life saver.  I know it is a hard thing to come to terms with.  Keep in mind...people with heart problems have to take meds, diabetics take meds, people take meds everyday for different problems.  This just happens to be your (and my) problem.  We need meds for it...it won't be forever.

Good luck!

*Most of these drugs, I believe, you cannot breastfeed on.  :-(  I had to quit nursing at 9 months b/c my dr finally found this combo of meds that worked.  I was REALLY, REALLY sad b/c I wanted to make it to a year.  I realized though it was more important for me to get better so I could be a better mom than to EBF my child for 3 more months.  I really hope you find the help that you need. 

PPD/PPA Mom...it has been super hard, but I'm making it! Slow steps...
    Mom to Carter (6), and Calianne (1).  
    Proud VBAC, natural birth, breastfeeding, cloth diapering momma!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"