August 2011 Moms
Options

Peanut question

DH was eating peanuts last night while we were watching tv. LO reached over and grabbed one of his fingers and put it in her mouth (the finger, not a peanut). I yelled in horror, "There's peanuts on your fingers!" We waited for a reaction and nothing happened. Does this mean we're in the clear? He was cracking them from the shell, so there had to have been tons of residue on his hands.

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Peanut question

• Options

I would think that if she hasn't had a reaction yet, she is fine.... however, I wouldn't think "she's in the clear" as in she can eat peanuts from now on. I would probably still wait til about a year to let her start eating them. Just my opinion:)

ETA: Looooove your siggy pic, omg cuteness! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Do you have a reason to be worried about a peanut allergy?  If not, I wouldn't be too worried at all, anyway.

But if your question is can you now be certain your DD is not allergic to peanuts, I would say not entirely.  For one thing, my understanding is that the second, and not the first, exposure to a potential allergen is when many people actually have a reaction. 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageMichellie7:

I would think that if she hasn't had a reaction yet, she is fine.... however, I wouldn't think "she's in the clear" as in she can eat peanuts from now on. I would probably still wait til about a year to let her start eating them. Just my opinion:)

ETA: Looooove your siggy pic, omg cuteness! 

Thank you! You have quite a handsome gentleman too!

In response to both your posts, I wasn't planning on giving her peanut butter until 1 yr anyway. I was just thinking ahead. Just kind of thinking, you know, that when the time comes to give her full on peanut butter I can breathe a little easier. Neither me nor DH have allergies to anything but seasonal stuff. She did get a wicked diaper rash when I gave her apricots, but that may be coincidence.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I give DD peanut butter all the time.  A friend of mine is a pedi allergist and she said that as long as there is no allergy in family (parents, grandparents, uncles/aunts, siblings of the child), it's ok to give it if baby is under 1.  She even said to give it regularly - it reduces risk of an allergy.

Since we have no allergies like that, we give her PB on bread - she loves it.

The only thing is, I check her mouth after b/c sometimes PB bread can get stuck.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageNithyaV:

I give DD peanut butter all the time.  A friend of mine is a pedi allergist and she said that as long as there is no allergy in family (parents, grandparents, uncles/aunts, siblings of the child), it's ok to give it if baby is under 1.  She even said to give it regularly - it reduces risk of an allergy.

Since we have no allergies like that, we give her PB on bread - she loves it.

The only thing is, I check her mouth after b/c sometimes PB bread can get stuck.   

I've heard this too, but I also heard the other side. I guess the jury is still out on this. I have an insane fear of her choking, so that solidifies my reason to wait.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

I only give smooth PB, but you're right, it can get stuck in the mouth - we do BLW, so I'm used to the occasional gagging.  

I guess since DD hasn't had any reactions (we've given it to her since she was 8 months old maybe), I'll keep it up but there's probably no harm in waiting.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Our pedi said the only thing we should wait on is honey. I wouldn't worry about it at this point.
  • Options

I would still watch for any reaction when you intro PB, as licking residue wouldn't be the same. I know some now say you can give PB (and other higher risk for allergy foods) before 1yr because if they're going to be allergic, they will be, whatever age you intro. However .... my thoughts are that if LO has a serious reaction, it would be easier to manage when she's older ie. easier to notice signs, easier to admin medication, and (God forbid) easier to access an airway (that's the nurse in me).

Aside from the allergy risk, PB is extremely sticky. So if you're going to give any type of spread, make sure it's thin, as they would be choking hazards if too thick. This point has been highlighted in many of my 'mom' books.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerImage and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"