Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Breast feeding

I just gave birth about 3 days ago. The lactation spec was TERRIBLE. I was not producing enough colostrum to feed my little one, since then it has been little dribbles. We had to do something to keep him fed so a nurse suggested to go ahead and try the bottle and keep trying to pump. I am still trying to pump and nothing is coming out much in the way of colostrum (sp). My question is what could be causing this and how  long does it take for your milk to come in?

Re: Breast feeding

• Options
    I gave birth on a Friday and my milk didn't come in until Tuesday. My son was sooo hungry and fussy by Sunday night. I ended up supplementing a bottle because he hadn't peed all day Monday, and it was like a different baby! Keep trying to nurse. Baby is going to stimulate milk production much better than just pumping will. We supplement occasionally now, but just for convenience, not because I have to. Just keep at it if you want to BF.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I think my milk took 4 days to come in.  Your body does not make very much colostrum at all, so don't be discouraged.  When I was in the hospital, I pumped enough for one feeding and it was literally not even a half a teaspoon.  The LC said that was perfectly normal and all DS needed since their bellies are only as big as a marble at that point.  

If you are serious about BF, I would just keep nursing as often as you can (I did it every two hours or less).  When your milk comes in, keep feeding your baby as often as he/she needs it.  You can't nurse too much and it will help build up supply.  He/she will eat so much that it feels like they are attached to you, but it is totally normal.  Just enjoy the time snuggling with your baby and give it time.

Can you call another lactation consultant for help?  Maybe even at another hospital?  Or does your OB have someone you can call?  I would check around for help.  Also, the breastfeeding board on the bump is awesome.  Those ladies have helped me so much.  Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My milk came in around day 3 or 4. But I have heard that it can take upto 8-10 days. I started pumping at 3 weeks and would only get a tiny bit. Sometimes less than an ounce combined from both breast. I was very concerned at first. But over several weeks of pumping and nursing it started to increase. I was very discouraged at first!  So hang in there!
  • Options

My colostrum didn't come in until day 5 after both births. My milk really came in on day 8.  I nursed for 20 and pumped for 20.  We supplemented DS with syringe feeds but he lost a lot of weight and we were told that he was burning too many calories eating that way.  He lost about a lb and a half.  So with DD we allowed her the bottle after nursing to keep her from losing as much.  She still lost at least a lb (we fully don't know since she was still losing at her one week checkup).  It took DS about 3 1/2 weeks to get back to his birthweight, he was 7 oz bigger than his birthweight and grew an 1.25" at his one month checkup.  It took DD longer, she was 2 oz more than her birthweight at hers which was at 5 weeks, she did also grow 1.25".  Pedi wasn't concerned since DS gains slowly but that child can eat.  He barely doubled at a year old and he won't triple before his 3rd birthday.

The funny thing is DS had no problem switching between breast and bottle even though he never got one until one month old.  DD will not take a bottle at all, I've been working with her since I have to go back to work soon.

Sorry no paragraphs, bumping from my phone.
    I once had a picture until the trolls showed up.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 7/08 PCOS dx 8/28/04 Met 1000 mg and Clomid cycles 1-4 1/6/09-5/2/09 BFN
    Clomid 100mg 6/4/09=O'd=BFP on 6/29/09! Beta@14DPO 70.8 Beta@16DPO 152. EDD 3/7/10.
    First u/s on 7/13/09 @6w0d heard and saw heartbeat 102 bpm.
    K M #1 arrived via c/s 3/1/10 10 lbs, 22 inches long at 39 weeks.

Surprise expecting #2. Med-free BFP on 8/1/11! Beta@15DPO 58.2 Beta@17DPO 198.3 Beta@23DPO 2338. EDD 4/9/12
    K M #2 arrived via c/s 3/19/12 9 lbs 2 oz, 21 inches long at 37 weeks.
    "If we weren't all crazy we would go insane."
  • Options
    You don't get ounces and ounces of colostrum so what you are experiencing is completely normal.  Honestly, in the first three days, your baby probably only needs an ounce of colostrum at each feeding.  I hand expressed colostrum onto my finger and put it in her mouth at the beginning when I was having trouble getting her to suck.  I also stayed topless all day, held her skin to skin and had her at the breast the entire day so like... ten or twelve hours.  I was lying in bed in the hospital so there was nowhere to go anyway.  I gave birth on a Monday and my milk came in on Friday.  Be patient.  Try not to feed any more formula unless the doctor demands it and keep your baby skin to skin and at your breast all the time.  When he is latched on, make sure the bottom lip is turned out and that he has your areola and nipple in his mouth.  A huge mouthful of breast and not just the nipple.  Fix his latch repeatedly till he gets it.  
  • Options

That is terrible advice. The only way to get your milk to come in and your supply established is to keep putting baby to your breast. DO NOT PUMP. Just try to feed the baby every 1-2 hours.

To answer your question, my milk came in at 5 days with DD1 and 2 days with DD2.

"Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"