Working Moms
Options

need some interview suit advice

Last time I interviewed was almost 6 yrs ago and at the time I bought an Ann Taylor suit- black jacket & black skirt. Skirt is knee length w/ a slight flair at the bottom. Jacket is kind of like this (link below sorry not clicky) in terms of the lapels & has 4 buttons, but sleeves are not cropped/short and it doesn't hit as short on the waist (I'm also only 5' tall so no jacket would ever hit me there anyway) and is slightly fitted at the waist & then a little wider at the bottom.

https://www.anntaylor.com/ann/catalog/productDetails.jsp?prodId=267678&gridSize=md&productPageType=fullPriceProducts&colorExplode=false&skuId=10514184&defaultColor=6600

I wore that suit exactly 2 times to interview for 2 different jobs. I really don't want to spend the $ on a new one nor the trouble of running around finding one since this one still fits but want to update it a little, so a few questions:

1. Do you think this suit sounds like it is still ok for interviewing?

2. What kind of top would you wear under it to update it? 

3. Hose or no hose and if hose, what color? (I'm deathly pale so the 'nude' color is usually quite a bit darker than my skin)

4. Hose or no hose if I wear a peep toe heel? (my thought is no hose but for an interview it seems a little brash esp given the very very ghostly shade of my skin).

Thanks...

Re: need some interview suit advice

• Options

I think that as long as the suit fits well and does not look too tight or uncomfortable, then you should be fine.  When I'm interviewing candidates, I'm more interested in your soft-skills, experience, and attitude than in the width of your lapels or number of buttons.  I'm also looking to see if the candidate looks relaxes/comfortable - so if you feel good in your suit, then that will help you..

If its really hot outside, I say "go for it" on not wearing hose.  Regarding peep-toe shoes:  I've never looked at a candidates footwear when conducting an interview.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

imageimageimage
  • Options

The suit sounds perfectly fine.  I still wear a few suits I bought in law school, which would make them 5-6 years old now.  As long as it's in good condition, you're fine.

Pick a conservative shirt that you are comfortable in.  A color or pattern is perfectly fine, especially if it makes you feel good!  It doesn't have to be a button-down shirt.  I think a shell can look very nice.

I could not go to an interview in open toe shoes, without hose or in a pants suit, but that's just my particular field.  I would rely on PP's advice there, unless you are certain the job or company is really conservative.

DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    No peep toes for any interview unless you are in fashion. I always notice inappropriate dress. Always. Wear hose.
  • Options

imageSpenjamins:
    No peep toes for any interview unless you are in fashion. I always notice inappropriate dress. Always. Wear hose.

Ok- So what color hose then?

Thanks all! I won't be tight/uncomfortable in the suit so that is not a concern.  I would like to add some color w/ the black so will prob go w/ a shell or similar type shirt, button down shirt is NMS and too hot to be honest. I hate interviewing. :)

• Options
    imagegroovygrl:

imageSpenjamins:

Thanks all! I won't be tight/uncomfortable in the suit so that is not a concern.  I would like to add some color w/ the black so will prob go w/ a shell or similar type shirt, button down shirt is NMS and too hot to be honest. I hate interviewing. :)

As close to your skin tone as possible. I'm also pretty pale and have found that some brands have a lighter "nude" than others.  

DS: 2/17/11          DD: 9/4/13
  • Options
    imagethedash:
    imagegroovygrl:

imageSpenjamins:

What brands......? LOL

As close to your skin tone as possible. I'm also pretty pale and have found that some brands have a lighter "nude" than others.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"