Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

BLW: Choking hazard?

DS has really been doing well with BLW so far, but I'm worried about him choking on everything. Even stuff that's really well cooked and soft, I'm afraid that he'll "bite" off too much and choke. He gummed off a piece of apple from the slice, but I had to fish it out of his mouth because there was no way he could chew and swallow it. Even a well baked potato, it's just mush but I'm afraid he'll get too much in his mouth. I always give him food that's big enough for him to hold and not small enough to directly choke on.  Note: DS doesn't have any teeth yet

Am I being paranoid? Should I just let him go for it and see what happens?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: BLW: Choking hazard?

• Options
    I'm pretty sure babies are not supposed to have raw apple until they have teeth and can chew well. Until then, it's supposed to be grated or pureed. Maybe make your potato sticks thinner? Sorry, not much help!

BabyFetus Ticker
    It's a BOY!

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

imageMrsNash37212:
    I'm pretty sure babies are not supposed to have raw apple until they have teeth and can chew well. Until then, it's supposed to be grated or pureed. Maybe make your potato sticks thinner? Sorry, not much help!

Apple cut into wedges and steamed is soft enough.

OP, I don't do BLW but my oldest is 2 and I still worry about her choking. Natural mommy worries :) From what I've read, if you are following the "rules" of BLW the risk of choking is minimal. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Just wanted to add that I was(still am) terrified of choking. 

I just watch very closely what DS is eating to make sure he doesn't get a piece that's too big. I've had to fish out food a few times but he has never choked.

For the most part, he only gums off (no teeth) pieces he can chew/swallow.  

• Options
    J+MSJ+MS member
    You're being paranoid. Check out wholesomenabyfood.com. 
    "Seriously, mommy forum people are some crazy ass bitches." New Year New You
  • Options

I think you're being overly worried, but I probably was too.  It's hard to remember now that we're past the initial gagging phase and into a real comfort with most foods.

My LO is 8 months, still has NO teeth, and had raw apple wedges yesterday.  He did GREAT with it.  You can absolutely give a baby without teeth raw apple.

I don't know what advice to give you though.  You just have to figure out a way to get comfortable with it.  Fishing food out of her mouth unnecessarily (and despite the fact you obviously felt it was necessary, I would doubt it was!) is not good for a variety of reasons.  You're risking pushing food back into her mouth, or making her insecure and afraid of foods.  She needs to learn.  For me...I tried to just remember what the book says about it being a really complex procedure to maneuver food from the front of their mouths to the back of their throats, and that they're not going to be capable of doing so until they are ready, physiologically, to do so.  Until they are ready, physically, to swallow it safely.  If your LO is sitting upright so that they can easily spit the food out, even if that requires gagging, she's not going to choke (most likely).  Choking is really rare.  Really really rare.  Gagging is normal and the way they learn.  Letting them gag a few times will do wonders for how quickly they figure out how much to bite off and when to spit the bite out and when to swallow it.  It's a totally normal, natural thing to let a baby lead their way into eating solids. She will be okay!! GL!

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageStefandTodd:

I don't know what advice to give you though.  You just have to figure out a way to get comfortable with it.  Fishing food out of her mouth unnecessarily (and despite the fact you obviously felt it was necessary, I would doubt it was!) is not good for a variety of reasons.  You're risking pushing food back into her mouth, or making her insecure and afraid of foods.  She needs to learn.  For me...I tried to just remember what the book says about it being a really complex procedure to maneuver food from the front of their mouths to the back of their throats, and that they're not going to be capable of doing so until they are ready, physiologically, to do so.  Until they are ready, physically, to swallow it safely.  If your LO is sitting upright so that they can easily spit the food out, even if that requires gagging, she's not going to choke (most likely).  Choking is really rare.  Really really rare.  Gagging is normal and the way they learn.  Letting them gag a few times will do wonders for how quickly they figure out how much to bite off and when to spit the bite out and when to swallow it.  It's a totally normal, natural thing to let a baby lead their way into eating solids. She will be okay!! GL!

I agree with all of this. I would stop fishing food out. Have you read the book? 

imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"