Working Moms
Options

Back to work tomorrow...

Hey ladies!  I've been lurking around this board for the past week or so and I'm glad it's here as I already feel better about going back to work.  All of my friends are SAHMs and without meaning to, they make me feel really bad for my decision to go back so it's nice to see loving, caring, good mothers who also work!  

Anyways - any tips to get through my first day back at work tomorrow? 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Back to work tomorrow...

• Options

First day may likely be overwhelming... know that going into it.  It will get better.  Not necessarily "easier," but definitely better as you get into a routine.  If you are using a daycare I recommend having your SO come with you that first morning.  My DH helped me get through that morning and I needed him. 

In general, I (and many others on here) recommend prepping everything the night before.  It makes the morning go much smoother.  Like I said, once you nail down a routine, things run much smoother.  Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

cook tomorrow night's dinner tonight.  (or order a pizza)

Enjoy your little one when you get home and don't worry about cooking

good luck!  I went back last week when DS was 8 weeks old 

• Loading the player...
  • Options

I agree that it does go smoother, but doesn't necessarily get easier.

I always get everything ready the night before.  DH does the bottles and puts my pump stuff together and in my bag.  I make sure he has extra blankets and clothes in his DC bag and I set everything on the kitchen counter with his carseat.  I usually set his clothes out for the next day when I get him ready for bed.

DH wasn't able to go with me to drop him off the first day,  but I did OK.  I cried the whole way to work though.  It was tough.  I have a lot of pictures at him on my desk and keep a couple of cute videos of him laughing on my phone to look at when I start to miss him and that helps.  Going to pick him up is the best.thing.ever.  The smiles you get are absolutely priceless! 

I've come to realize that some of the cooking, clutter, cleaning, etc. can wait- for the first hour or so that I am home, I focus on baby.  Then I do what I can when he takes his evening nap.  My DS goes to bed between 8-9 so I don't get a lot of time, but I make sure that when I am home with him during the week for those few hours, he has my undivided attention when he's awake. 

Don't feel bad about being a working mom.  I think working moms are some of the most amazing, strongest moms out there!  It's not about the quantity of time you spend with LO, but the quality.  I have friends that are SAHMs too.  They spend a lot of their day cleaning, cooking, and running errands.  They are not actually engaged with their babies all day long.  Again- quality, not quanity!

• Options

Task your DH with what you can. The first few days I started back I was changing DDs diaper and clothing before nursing her. I then realized I could have DH do that. While he takes care of that I pack up my pump. He puts the parts in the dishwasher after dinner then I let them air dry overnight. After changing DD gets handed over to me for nursing, and DH showers. I shower after him when DD is finished nursing.  I don't dare take my warm shower before nursing, between me leaking or DD spitting up.

With her bottles I take what I've pumped at work and drop them off at DC when we do pickup. That way her milk is already there for the next day. Though on Mondays I take in a bottle from the weekend. I drop off the bottles with the flat caps on them. DC has one of her nipples there and they wash it. I just swap full bottles for empty ones on pickup. For labeling I've had good luck with Sharpie on blue painters tape for her bottles.It even lasts through the dishwasher.

Leave whatever you can at DC. Her extra outfits they keep there, we only need to bring more when she messes. I leave her little tote next to my work bag and pump so that everything is together.

And enjoy going back to work. It sounds weird but I look at it as some healthy self time. I can plug away at whatever task and feel acomplished at something without baby crying. Then when I get home I get to smuggle her while nursing, and DH cooks dinner.

If you can plan meals ahead that helps. I

Good luck going back. It may seam rough at first, but a routine helps.keep meaning to do that. 

DD born January 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options

Crum, my cursor jumped while phone bumping.

I keep meaning to plan meals, that part of my sentence ended up in the wrong spot.

DD born January 2012 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image image
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies! I've tried to set out everything I can for tomorrow and I have a list ready with the stuff that can't be done until the morning. Thankfully, LO is staying home with DH until he starts school again in the fall, so I don't have to drop her off at DC. I guess all I can do now is try to sleep tonight and push through tomorrow! Thanks for the tips and advice!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"