C-sections
Options

Would you request something stronger than Tylonel with Codeine?

Dr prescribes same thing for Vag or C Section. Last Dr gave me percocet and I really want that again since my last was painfull and got infected. This Dr only gives tylonel w/ codeine. Would you ask for something stronger?? or would that make me seem like a druggie?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Would you request something stronger than Tylonel with Codeine?

• Options

I would. I've always gotten Percocet for c-sections and I needed it. Tylenol with Codeine is nowhere near as strong. I take it pretty often for chronic pain during pregnancy since my usual meds aren't safe so I know I have more of a tolerance than most people. Maybe it would be ok for some people?

If it's working for you fine but if it's not ask for something else. Managing your pain is an important part of your medical care. Asking to not be in pain won't make you seem like a druggie. You just had major surgery. It's completely reasonable to need something stronger than someone who had a vaginal birth.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I would certainly ask if you need it.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would request percocet. Tell him that's what you had last time and that's what your comfortable with because you know it worked for you. I don't think you'd seem like a druggie. I believe I had the choice between percocet and motrin... I chose percocet without a second though. lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Why don't you see how you do with Tylenol with codeine in the hospital then request Percocet if you need it?  
  • Options
    I always do.  Tylenol3 does nothing for me. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options

Percocet and Ibuprofen (prescription strength) is the only way to go. In my opinion pain management is huge in regards to getting on your feet and healing.  Because you don't want major pain...that makes you a druggie?

I think its important actually to be comfortable so that you move better.  I wouldnt have done as well as I did on tylenol with codeine...which didn't even help after my wisdom teeth were removed.

I stopped taking the percocets after five or so days.  I never take medicine either. 

DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
  • Options
    eav2ceav2c member
    I would request something stronger. I was given a Percocet and Tylenol with codeine. I don't know how I would have not gotten through the first few days home without it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Tylenol with codeine makes me jittery and anxious.  I explained that to my Dr and she gave me percocet, which was lovely.  It felt weird to ask for a medication (will they think I'm a drug seeker?? lol) but it was what works best for me.  

Me and my Kiwi, both 38.  We struggled with RPL and were blessed with Micah.  I'm a full custody stepmom to Ethan!

image     image

• Options
    I was also on percocet (with IBuprofen as well). They had me on something in the beginning that wasn't as strong and I was dealing with some major pain while on it. I had to request something better.
  • Options
    Definatly ask. If your dr is a good dr, he wont think your a drug seeker. Because I cant have nsaids ( ibprofen, naperson, motrin) I actually had percs with dilaudid for break through pain. a c section ( as you know) is painful & tylenol w/ codeine probably wont help your pain at all. I know it doesnt even touch my period cramps.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    jb2rnjb2rn member

imagejesspacatc:
    Why don't you see how you do with Tylenol with codeine in the hospital then request Percocet if you need it?  

this. you never know. I didn't have the option of narcotics, and while I could have used some, I think everyone is different for each surgery.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    When I had my c/s, they gave me shot of morhpine after and after that it was Extra strength Tylenol and Advil, that's all.  I managed ok, but then again I didn't know any different.
    PCOS Clomid x 4 = BFN Met, Femara, Trigger x3 = BFP! EDD: May 18, 2011 Baby Boy born May 13, 2011 via emergency C section Our Friday the 13th miracle!
  • Options
    Well, if you find you need it - ask. FWIW, though, I only used tylenol and ibuprofen. I wouldn't want to be on narcotics. I would try T3s, or a combination of tylenol and ibuprofen, first.

bfp#4 3/19/2014 edd 12/1/2014 please let this be the one!

beta @ 5w0d = 12,026! u/s 4/22/14 @ 8w1d it's twins!

• Options

imageshouldbworkin:
    I always do.  Tylenol3 does nothing for me. 

This.  Percocet, ask for it.  No reason what so ever to be in pain when they make a medication that is safe.  I have had two C-sections and always used percocet for about a week after then transitioned to tylenol with codiene, then down to tylenol.  You will not seem like a druggie.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My OB gave me Percocet and Motrin 600mg for the pain and, because I didn't want to seem like a druggie, I refrained from requesting the Perc early on. I was a mess I was in so much pain and, since the boys were in NICU, I could barely hold myself up to peer into their warmers it hurt so bad to move. After that, I requested the Perc around the clock and was up and walking around. You are not a druggie for wanting a strong pain killer after major abdominal surgery. Tylenol w/ Codeine is probably not going to help you much after a c-section. I would talk to your OB now rather than wait and see if it's helpful, otherwise you'll be in for a lot of pain initially that you could easily avoid.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    At the hospital they offered me vicodin, and percocet was the alternative. Both are stronger than Tylenol w/ codeine. However, I am sensitive to both so I ended up w/ Tylenol w/ codeine - so if you are still in pain you should def be able to ask your dr how to better manage your pain!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imagejesspacatc:

This. If it works for you, great! If it doesn't, then you've tried it and can ask for something stronger. If your doctor has a policy of always giving T3, then he/she may wonder if you're asking for Percocet off the bat. Just being honest. Even though lots of doctors prescribe Percocet, I know of one who only gives Motrin for his C-sections (I don't agree with that, FYI). I was given Norco, but I only took a few of them. Motrin 800mg around the clock worked pretty well, and the constipation from even a few Norco's wasn't worth it for me.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"