Attachment Parenting

Bedsharing and reflux

I hadn't planned to bedshare, but DS had other plans. So now I'm trying to figure out all the safety recs, etc. He has reflux, so I need to have him on an incline - how can I do this in the bed with me? I had him in an arms reach with the mattress elevated, but that doesn't really work. He sleeps well on my chest and on his side, but I'm not sure those are safe?? Does anyone else bedshare with a reflux baby? I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bedsharing and reflux

• DS had reflux. I started out with one of those crib mattress elevators (a triangular shaped wedge of foam meant to go under the crib sheet) under our fitted bedsheet. He kept rolling off of it, so DH put an old pillow under our mattress and that seemed better. Helped me with my allergy congestion, too. As for chest sleeping, the official answer is supposed to be "no." But, as any mama will tell you, whatever gets Mama and baby some sleep! DS slept on my chest for naps until he was too big/heavy. When your DS gets a little bigger, he can sleep on your arm which will prop him up a bit. GL
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers ***This space reserved for photo of new squish***
  • I know the answer is technically "no" but DS slept on our chests even in bed.  He was such an awful sleeper that we couldn't fall asleep while he was there.

As for bedsharing, DS's reflux was so severe he couldn't lay flat for any amount of time.  We ended up buying the Fisher Price Rock N Play and that was a miracle.  It's nice and cradling.  So we'd swaddle him and hold him to sleep (a lot of sleep was done with him on my chest in a recliner) and then transfer him to the rock n play.  It was the only way he could sleep not being held. 

To my boys:  I will love you for you Not for what you have done or what you will become I will love you for you I will give you the love The love that you never knew
  • Loading the player...
  • DS2 was a huge puker (though he was never formally diagnosed with reflux, and he never slept on an incline). Both of my kids slept on their sides, and I have been told it's fine and isn't considered tummy sleeping.

Would the Rock n Play thingy work with him? Though obviously you aren't co-sleeping with him in it, but it is inclined.

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Amazon sells an acid reflux pillow.  It's got velcro straps to keep the LO on it safely while sleeping.  It is kind of weird at first, but it really really really helps. My LO is so used to it now, she moves her arms out of the way, so I can adjust the straps.  I would expect this would be very safe in either your bed or the LO's crib. 

Good Luck!

image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageToastieSimons:

I know the answer is technically "no" but DS slept on our chests even in bed.  He was such an awful sleeper that we couldn't fall asleep while he was there.

As for bedsharing, DS's reflux was so severe he couldn't lay flat for any amount of time.  We ended up buying the Fisher Price Rock N Play and that was a miracle.  It's nice and cradling.  So we'd swaddle him and hold him to sleep (a lot of sleep was done with him on my chest in a recliner) and then transfer him to the rock n play.  It was the only way he could sleep not being held. 

This is what we did. DS didn't have reflux, but had food allergies and vomited a lot and needed to be propped up. It was nice because I put the RNP right next to the bed so he was just as close as in our arm's reach co-sleeper. That thing works miracles.  

• Thanks for the advice! He sleeps in the RNP during the first part of the night, when DH has him. He does ok, but he whinnies and grunts a lot more in there than in bed with me. It makes it really hard to sleep, and I don't want to move him to another room if I don't have to. I'll try a pillow under our mattress (good use for the pregnancy pillow!) and also take a look at the reflux pillows. Thanks again.
  • I have GERD and already slept with a wedge pillow I got on Amazon made for that purpose. We started bedsharing with B at 3 months bc he had apnea and was on a monitor, reflux and then whooping cough! I just put him on the wedge with me and he stayed on and it helped him and me :) We still bedshare and I love it!
  • Hmmmm.....I have a wedge that I bought during pregnancy because it felt better on my back. I had discounted it because I assumed he would roll off of it, but maybe it's worth a try. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"