C-sections
Options

Excuse me? What time??

We got our "Birthday Event" papers from the hospital today. We have to be there at 5am on the morning of the surgery! Holy Crap! That's so early!! I guess I was thinking more along the lines of 7 or 8. Anyone else have to go this early? What is the typical process?

Re: Excuse me? What time??

• Options
    What time is your c-section? I have always had to go in 2 hours before my scheduled section.
    image Mommy to Barbara 11/8/05, Elisabeth 5/13/07, Loukas 12/23/08 and Lazarus 09/25/12
  • Options
    It doesn't exactly say. I am thinking it's for 7:30...so that would make sense!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I had an emergency section, but I can say that we had to go in at 4am for a 15 minute surgery to put tubes in LO's ears (surgery at 6), so getting there a few hours early to complete paperwork and do presurgery checks is normal. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I just found out today that DD is breech.  They have scheduled my c-section for next tues 5/1 at 8am.  I have to be there 2 hrs early at 6am.  Sounds like you are having a 7am c-section.

___________________________________________________________________ Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerLilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    My c-section is scheduled for 7:30 am on May 23. I have to be there 2 hours early so we have to be there by 5:30 in the morning. However we live 45 minutes from the hospital so we will be leaving here at 4:45. That means if I will be up at 3:30ish.
  • Options

We have to be there by 5:30 am for a scheduled 7:30 c-section.  I have had one previous c-section which took place at the end of of a long labor/pushing.  It was not an emergency situation- it was b/c of failure to descend, not b/c of decels w/baby, so we went through the normal pre-section routine.  It took about 2 hours, believe it or not. 

I can't remember all of the details since it was at the end of 24 hours of labor, but it will include insertion of an IV, review of medical history, explanation of and signing paperwork, physical prep (shave/clean bikini area), and swallowing an antacid.  They explain the procedure, answer questions, etc.  There's quite a bit of hurry-up-and-wait.

5, 5:30-- anything that requires you to get up before the sun is really early.  I think part of the reason they schedule things like this is to get you taken care of before people start rolling in and bunging up the schedule.  Frankly, I'll be so excited/nervous about it that I'd be up around then anyway.  Might as well get things done early so you can enjoy the rest of the birthday! 

• Options
    Don't worry! You won't be able to sleep anyway and the adrenaline to meeting your baby will help you get going. :)
  • Options
    I had to be in 2 hours prior to my surgery. Mine was at noon and I was there at 9:45. I would have loved to have to be there at 5AM because the no eating thing was awful
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
    Photobucket
  • Options
    I am always happy to have the first surgery of the day.  It means the dr is fresh and alert and statistically least likely to make an error.  Plus you don't have to starve the whole morning waiting for surgery. 
    Oh and you probably won't sleep the night before anyways because you'll be too excited to meet your little one.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I had a 7:30 surgery scheduled. Arrived at the hospital at 5:30-they start IV, sign consent forms, get you ready, hook you up to the fetal monitor and before you know it the dr is in with you explaining what will go on. I went in at 7:40 and the baby was out at 8:07. It goes by quick.
  • Options
    I had a 7am rcs and had to be at the hospital at 430. There are positives to doing it so early though. As pp said, you will have the rest of your LO's bday to spend with him/her. Also, I loved that I was able to have my iv, cath, etc taken out and be up and walking by the end of the day. I also showered that evening (late) and got to have dinner (also late).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My c/s was scheduled for 7:00 and I had to be there by 5:00.  All of the prep actually took 2 hours.
  • Options
    I have to be there at 615am for my 815am c/s for ds3. For ds2, it was 6am for my 8am c/s. It's usually 2 hours before your c/s time.
    BFP 12/23/07, M/C 1/25/08 Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks ladies! I guess I was just thinking it would be later. I know my doctor wanted to do it first thing, but darn I didn't think she meant this early!! I know I will probably get no sleep the night before...
  • Options
    yup that is when I had to be there.  Many dr.'s do there scheduled sections before going to the office.  You have to be there two hours before to get fluids and monitor the baby and do paperwork.
    DD (8/12/09), DD (2/8/11)
    BFP 12/16/14| EDD 8/19/15 |MMC 1/15/15 (9 weeks 1 day)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"