January 2012 Moms
Options

Nervous about SIDS :(

Last night was rough. I wake up at three to hear DD coughing and choking and gasping. Her reflux has been worse lately. I fed her which seemed to help(which seemed counter intuitive to me) and she went back to sleep. I however was up worrying about her choking in her sleep. Dh heard about three SIDS incidents in the last week and so I'm worried about that all over again too. After laying there worrying, dd starts laughing in her sleep! It was possibly the cutest thing i have heard in my life.I was so emotional I almost lost it. At least she was having sweet dreams :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image

Re: Nervous about SIDS :(

• Options
    I'm terrified of SIDS too. I read that the highest rate happens between 2-4 months, so I'm counting down until we're out of the riskiest age... ugh. I hate worrying about it! 
  • Options
    I worry about it a lot too:( my daughter was breathing really shallow last night and has been mucusy and congested and I freaked out. Even when things are fine I worry about it. I'll be glad when it's not something to worry about anymore.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Surprisingly, I haven't worried too much about SIDS (because I worry about everything) although it does still freak me out when DS is sleeping soundly and doesn't make a noise. Sometimes I still have to peek in on him. I did start worrying about suffocation this morning, however because when I dropped DS off at daycare I saw another baby in his crib sleeping with a blanket completely over his head, except for the very top. There was another baby in her crib on her tummy with a blanket over her up to her middle. They do have a blanket in all the cribs and it made me wonder if DS is getting covered up when he goes down for a nap. He's able to pull things away from his face now, but it still scared the crap out of me.

• Options
    When I worked in daycare we were allowed by the state to put receiving blankets on the babies. They are also allowed to be on their stomach if they  roll themselves over. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Options

Just a quick reminder... the chance of SIDS is currently approximately 1 in 2000. To re-frame that number, the rate of mortality for having a tummy tuck is between 1 in 600 and 1 in 2000.

I know it's something that we're all really scared of, mostly because by definition, there is no way to predict it and nothing that can be done to absolutely prevent it. But it is actually really rare.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Thank you for those stats - that actually does make me feel a little better.

I am also in that category of people that are really nervous about SIDS and cannot wait to be able to relax about it. 

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"