Pre-School and Daycare

How do you teach your kid about stranger danger?

I recently watched a special where they set up kids to test their stranger danger know how. All the kids had been taught before (not just that day) not to talk to strangers or go with them, etc.  All it took was an ice cream truck and the lure of free ice cream and the chance to see the inside of the truck to play the music.  Most of the kids went inside the truck. 

I have been talking to my kids about it, but I don't think they really get it. My kids are shy and cautious around new people in general, but I don't know if they would be able to resist free ice cream or lollipops.

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: How do you teach your kid about stranger danger?

• we read the Bearnstien Bears book about Strangers, and I try to mention it to him in non-scary ways. But I really think he has no idea yet.  He waves and says Hi to everyone in public and would totally go for someone giving him ice cream. It's totally on my list of biggest fears as a parent!! I am of no help to you--but just commiserating :)
    diagnosed with stage IV endo via lap surgery IVF #1 - 27 eggs! 14 fertilized (3 natural, 11 ICSI) 5dt of A embryo, froze 6 BFP on 9/28! Baby K born via surprise c-section after 15 hrs of labor and he is perfect!! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

frozen transfer a success! boy #2 via VBAC Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I worry about this all the time.  My DS says hello to everyone.  It doesn't help when we are out and random adults address him, i.e, "Hey there, big guy!  Are you helping mommy shop today?". I'm caught between wanting him to be respectful, but also be cautious.  So, when a stranger speaks to him in our presence, we started interjecting and telling him, "Make sure you ask mommy and daddy FIRST if it's ok to talk to any grown up you don't know". Mostly it makes adults feel bad and they almost always apologize immediately, but it's more important to me that DS gets it than them thinking I'm crazy LOL I've only had one person tell me that I'm ridiculous, but whatevs. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Loading the player...
  • image-auntie-:

It's not so much the strangers you need to worry about. Most children who are preyed upon are victims of people their parents know well enough to invite into their lives.

The Barenstain book is a good start, but you need this part too-

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Touch-Bad-Learning-Improper/dp/1448689546

I agree. And I'm of the opinion that my kids CAN talk to strangers, but cannot ever go anywhere with them. As previous poster said, it's often the people somehow in the kids or parents lived that are dangerous ones. Also, I want my kids to be comfortable talking to strangers in case they ever need help: if they get separated from me in a mall, if someone is sick or injured, etc. I don't want them to live in fear that the friendly person who smiled at them in the mall or on the park bench is also going to abduct or hurt them.  

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I watched that Date Line show last Sunday about strangers and they said with younger kids repetition is key. It's not a one time talk. It's something that needs to be repeated often and lots of examples given. I have been looking for books on Amazon to order and incorporate into our reading time. It's hard because I don't want to scare him but I know it's necessary.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imageDoughGirl:
    I worry about this all the time.  My DS says hello to everyone.  It doesn't help when we are out and random adults address him, i.e, "Hey there, big guy!  Are you helping mommy shop today?". I'm caught between wanting him to be respectful, but also be cautious.  So, when a stranger speaks to him in our presence, we started interjecting and telling him, "Make sure you ask mommy and daddy FIRST if it's ok to talk to any grown up you don't know". Mostly it makes adults feel bad and they almost always apologize immediately, but it's more important to me that DS gets it than them thinking I'm crazy LOL I've only had one person tell me that I'm ridiculous, but whatevs. 

This is my concern too.  I want to raise a child who is cautious of strangers, but also be polite.  But then I always try to remember what my self-defense teacher once said, its better to be rude to someone you dont know, than be nice and be attacked by that person.

I need to start teaching DS about stranger danger though, I havent started yet.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • seb09seb09 member
    I saw this too!  For now, my kids are way too small and barely leave my side.  But when they get older, I definitely think the repeated talks help.  I was a psych minor in college, and we learned that what works best with kids is "little doses" of advice.  Instead of having huge long lectures, or only having just one serious talk about it.  It's just one of those things that you have to keep reminding kids about.  I also agree with ppl that it's better to be rude than to suffer consequences if a person has bad intentions.  I also think it's a good idea to encourage to trust their instincts.  That old saying... if it's doesn't seem right, it's probably wrong.  If they don't feel comfortable with a situation or a person, it's okay to stand up for yourself and not be polite.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I agree with a lot of what has been said -especially how it's most often someone they know.  Stranger danger is good but it undermines the more likely scenario- a family friend or relative. 

I think teaching good touch/bad touch is important.  I also think it's really important to stress that if someone tells them to keep the secret, they should tell me because we never keep secrets.  I tell them if someone tells them I will be mad, that it's not true.  I tell them that I will never ever leave them for any reason.  I tell them telling me things makes me happy- keeping secrets makes me sad. 

I also think role playing is really important - for exactly the reason that the ice cream scenario worked on the kids.  You can tell them anything but if they see a puppy in a car or an ice cream truck, unless they know those kind of things are what lure kids (without telling them that part), then it's just words. 

3 IUI's and 2 IVF's later- Brady arrived. Born at 36 weeks after PUPPS and pre-e/HELLP.
    IUI- BFN IVF #1 -BFP! Allie is our 2nd IVF baby. Born at 36 1/2 weeks after pre-e again
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image

• do NOT teach "stranger danger" bc your child might NEED a stranger's help one day.

https://www.checklistmommy.com/tag/stranger-danger/

excellent info on that site.

I have talked a lot with my older son about tricky people- and he gets it.

He knows that if he ever gets lost to find someone who looks like a mommy- and tell her.... women are MUCH less likely to do anything bad to a child.  This was info given to me at a seminar given by an FBI agent who teaches about keeping kids safe.

I used to be Goldie_locks_5 but the new nest is so screwed up that I was forced to start over.
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"