Military Families
Options

Oh HOT DAMN am I angry

I seem to have a habit of putting my foot in it and saying the wrong thing, and this does touch on some pretty sensitive subjects, but I'll try my best not to offend.

I have a friend who is the type to force her political ideas down your throat, and I can't stand it. She used to be awesome but we've grown apart since I left the UK, and frankly, I never even want to talk to her anymore because she's so idea-forcey (which is totally a word, don't you know). She also happens to be bisexual. Now, I have absolutely no issue or 'problem' with homosexuality in any way; or people being open about it; or promoting equal rights for gay people. Her being bi is only very slightly relevant here. I do have a bit of a problem with her constantly posting anti-homophobia things on Facebook, not because I feel "oh, that's just gross" or anything like that, but just because I know for a fact that her Facebook friends are not homophobic, so it's sort of unnecessary. I just think that if she's into promoting the anti-homophobic/gay rights cause, her time could be better spent than preaching to people who are already - how to put this - 'on her side'.

Fastforward to today. She just shared a video, a commercial for gay rights, showing a gay soldier being reunited with his love at a homecoming. At the end of the video, it says something like "all men can be heroes; all men can be husbands". The comments that followed - not on the original video, but on her link to it - have ranged from "the problem with this video is it sort of says 'gay descrimination bad. War good!', don't you think?" to outright "eh, I hate this whole 'soldiers are heroes' idea". One girl commented saying that she's from a military family and was offended, and pointed out that you can support soldiers and be thankful for what they do without supporting the wat they're fighting. She was immediately (for want of a better phrase) shot down.

So I waited. Some of DH's friends are in the army but have yet to go on a deployment, and they feel that they aren't 'heroes' because they "haven't done anything heroic". I figured maybe that was what the d*cks meant by 'soldiers aren't heroes'. Nope: sure enough, they go on to clarify that soldiers aren't heroes, and pretty much state that they're actually incredibly evil. So I wait for my friend, who is at least sensible, to weigh in. Her input? "Oh, no, I totally agree that the whole 'soldiers are heroes!' focus in the video is wrong. But I still thought it was sweet".

I'm furious. I fail to see how people who are campaigning to end discrimination can be so ignorant themselves. The same people who are now talking about the 'disgusting' homophobic comments on the original video are making disgusting comments about soldiers themselves (it gets pretty bad). I want to say something to my friend; but then again I'm 27 weeks pregnant; hormonal; and already in a bad mood. Should I?

Re: Oh HOT DAMN am I angry

• Options
    This wouldn't be my hill to die on. 
    30 Rock Pictures, Images and Photos
  • Options
    Eh. People have their opinions, they're entitled to it. You learn to let it roll off your back. I've been called several names by protestors while in uniform and it used to upset me, now I just remember they have freedom of speech and that is what is so great about this country.

CJ 05/29/2013

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I would just unfriend her. 
    I've seen a lot of military surprise homecomings. It wouldn't work on me. I always have my back to the corner and my face to the door. Looking for terrorists, criminals, various other threats, and husbands.
  • Options
    I think you are overreacting.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    NSLNSL member
    Just block/unfriend and move on.
  • Options
    Eh, I had a feeling hormones and generally being in a bad mood were coming into play. Thanks for the honesty, everyone.
  • Options
    unfriend her and move on.......
    BFP #1 03/2010 EDD 11/18/2010 DD born 11/03/2010 BFP #2 12/02/2011 CP on 12/05/2011 BFP #3 12/28/2011 EDD 09/10/2012 Missed mc @ 9w3d on 02/09/2012 D&C 03/06/2012 BFP #4 04/24/2012 EDD 01/02/2013 CP on 04/29/2012
  • Options

imageLemonLover33:
    This wouldn't be my hill to die on. 

I'm loving this saying lately.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"