Special Needs

MD People-Baltimore Aquarium?

P has her appt at KKI on the 7th, I want to drive up on the 6th because we found out one of the roads is going to be closed, causing major delays and I was thinking of going to the aquarium.  How big is it?  I know they have accommodations for SN kids BUT do they offer their own things?  

Like P can walk for X amount of time but do I need to be pushing an empty stroller or do they have wheelchairs?

I know they are generally stroller free and i'm just worried about that policy, I'm sure if they give me trouble I can just show them her spinal scar, I dont want to end up having to carry her around though.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

Re: MD People-Baltimore Aquarium?

• I can't offer much on the SN accommodations, but I can tell you it's an AWESOME aquarium and definitely worth a trip!  It's bigger than you expect once you get inside, but it has lots of ramps, etc., so you could probably do it with an umbrella stroller pretty easily.  I think they have a bag check too, so maybe you could check the stroller until/unless you need it?

As a heads-up, it's unfortunately a bit pricey.  :(  Their website probably has the current ticket prices posted.

Good luck at KKI and have fun! 

• imageluckyfrgg:

I can't offer much on the SN accommodations, but I can tell you it's an AWESOME aquarium and definitely worth a trip!  It's bigger than you expect once you get inside, but it has lots of ramps, etc., so you could probably do it with an umbrella stroller pretty easily.  I think they have a bag check too, so maybe you could check the stroller until/unless you need it?

As a heads-up, it's unfortunately a bit pricey.  :(  Their website probably has the current ticket prices posted.

Good luck at KKI and have fun! 

Thanks, I know P will be free, I think tickets are like $20 for adults, but im not sure.  I just know when I looked at going a while back they had a no-stroller policy.  She is OBSESSED with fish and water and anything of the like so I know she will have a blast.  Hopefully if all goes well we will be inpatient at KKI for their cath program.

DD1(4):VSD & PFO (Closed!), Prenatal stroke, Mild CP, Delayed pyloric opening/reflux, Brachycephaly & Plagiocephaly, Sacral lipoma, Tethered spinal cord, Compound heterozygous MTHFR, Neurogenic bladder, Urinary retention & dyssynergia, incomplete emptying, enlarged Bladder with Poor Muscle Tone, EDS-Type 3. Mito-Disorder has been mentioned

DD2(2.5): Late term premie due to PTL, low fluid & IUGR, Reflux, delayed visual maturation, compound heteroygous MTHFR, PFAPA, Bilateral kidney reflux, Transient hypogammaglobulinemia, EDS-Type 3

• Loading the player...
  • We don't live in MD, but go to the national aquarium with the girls pretty frequently.  

imagerealisticdreams:

P has her appt at KKI on the 7th, I want to drive up on the 6th because we found out one of the roads is going to be closed, causing major delays and I was thinking of going to the aquarium.  How big is it?  I know they have accommodations for SN kids BUT do they offer their own things?  

Its very large and not set in a particular pattern where you go to the exhibits in a set order. (Much like the DC zoo if you've been). Like the DC Zoo, I'd suggest looking at their map ahead of time and plotting out your route to best use your time. And for something big like the dolphins see what their schedule for that day is so you can plan around that instead of waiting in limbo with antsy kids. As I recall, there's the main atrium, then the stroller check in, and then you need to get upstairs (they have elevators, but you may run into some one who's carrying a container of fish :) as they use the same ones). There's a neat bridge where you walk over the water and get a cool view of the harbor (from inside the building) in order to get to the dolphins. You'd probably want to consider a wheelchair by that point. Its a pretty long hallway. I'm not sure I'd say that they have their "own things" for children with special needs. Its not as out-there with its outreach to the special needs population or as sensory friendly as say the Please Touch Museum in Phili or another aquarium that we frequent in the Northeast. You can bypass the line (which is typically pretty long) to get inside and buy your tickets. You don't need to show anything for that, but simply tell the people outside the door that your daughter has special needs. They're pretty good about directing you in front of the crowd. It does offer "sensory bags", which you can get at the stroller check in station. A for effort, C for execution on those. They're no great shakes, but I was glad that they were making some effort to do something. Oh and of course the standard, accessible seating at the dolphin show. One of the times we went the dolphins were only visible through the window where you needed to use the stairs and they were especially nice to open up the other part just for us to go into by ourselves with DDs since she was hooked up to stuff (with her trach and g-tube) in her stroller. 

imagerealisticdreams:

Like P can walk for X amount of time but do I need to be pushing an empty stroller or do they have wheelchairs?

I know they are generally stroller free and i'm just worried about that policy, I'm sure if they give me trouble I can just show them her spinal scar, I dont want to end up having to carry her around though.

We used DDs stroller "as a wheelchair" so I'm not sure about if they have spares. I did call ahead though to ask about their sensory kit and they were very friendly about answering my questions as we prepared for our visit. I'd call... You won't need to show her scar. Just say she has special needs. One of the times we went I was holding DD when DH went to get the pass and they gave us a fuss that we needed it checked while she wasn't inside. Since then we've always made sure she's been inside and haven't had a problem. 

Good luck with your appt and have fun if you end up going! FYI--There's also a discovery zone nearby.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Previous poster gave great advice.  Make sure there isn't an Oriole game because it will be packed and get tickets in advance.  Have fun! 
  • you will love it! of course i'm a little bias because i grew up going there and also volunteered there.

mummy gave great advice.  my husband just took our son who is non-mobile (we use a stroller with him) and he just checked in that he had special needs and used the stroller no problem.  it's pretty navigable...the only part that may be a little tough is the rainforest, just because it's not huge.  normally it is pretty packed but if you go early (or late) you should be good.  purchasing the tickets in advance is a good idea.

have fun!  if you need any other recs just ask! :) 

• One other quick idea - I don't know if KKI does this, but at CHOP they sometimes have coupons, etc., for local attractions.  Might be worth calling KKI's guest services or whatever they call themselves and asking.

Enjoy!! 

• We're in Baltimore and at KKI.  You may want to contact them about discount tickets.  I don't know what the process is, but I know they do have some amenities for families coming from out of town.

It's a fabulous aquarium!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Emergency ileostomy 11/28/10, CF dx on 12/3/10 and ileostomy takedown 1/24/11, feeding tube placed 7/1/11...still going strong! Little one lost 5w5d, 5/27/2012. CP 8/26/2012
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"