Success after IF
Options

Let's talk bottle transition!

M is about to turn 1 (in about a week!) and while she does use a straw sippy, she is nowhere close to being ready to give up the bottle.  I have tried to give her formula or breastmilk in the cup and she screams until I give in and put it in a bottle and then she happily drinks it.

Currently she gets 3 bottles a day (morning, mid day and bedtime) of 6oz each.  Sometimes she only drinks 4-5oz of each one.  I could probably drop the mid-day bottle and just offer a snack and juice/water in her sippy but I am nervous that she is not getting enough formula at this point so how is that going to translate to switching to WCM?

So give me all your tips and thoughts!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Let's talk bottle transition!

• Options

Once she turns one, she should be getting nutrients from well balanced meals rather than formula or what WCM can provide.

For WCM they should not be getting more than 24 ounces a day and not to fill them so if they only drink 2-3 ounces here and there it is perfectly okay.

If you are worried about nutrients you can give a vitamin (my son was/is super finicky so that is what we did)

I did not drop the bedtime bottle for several months after transitioning to WCM - the bottle soothed him at bedtime and I was not ready to give that up. I did just wake up one morning hand him his sippy of milk and that was that for daytime - he never asked for a bottle. 

I think people stress to much about the benefits of WCM, we as humans can survive without it and we are the only mammals that do drink it after infancy. Does she drink water okay? Hydration is much more important than milk.

A lot of years and a million tears finally led me to you.
    After 7 years trying to concieve, 3 failed IUIs and 2 failed IVFs, my third IVF was a success!
    My Christmas baby turned into a turkey bird! Dillon Richard was born at 34 weeks, 5 days on November 28, 2009 after 10 weeks on bedrest for preeclampsia.
    <a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v705/arriinthere/PJ/?action=view
  • Options

I started mixing the formula and milk together in the bottles (they each took 6 ounce bottles, so we did 2oz milk with 4oz formula for a few days, then 4oz milk with 2oz of formula for a few days) so that they could get used to the taste.

With DS, I figured out he would drink milk from a Born Free Sippy cup (I would give him straight milk at lunch time), so when I was going from mixing to all milk, I switched to straight milk in those cups and he did fine.

With DD, she didn't like drinking anything in sippy cups.  When she turned 12 months, I just decided to get rid of the bottles cold turkey.  One weekend, we just started by giving her the milk in her cup and continued with that all weekend.  For the first day and a half, she didn't really drink much.  But by dinner time on the second day, she was drinking the milk and we were done with bottles!  

I know it seems mean, but I had 2 kids very close in age.  By the time DD was 12 months, I was DONE with cleaning bottles, etc.  And it worked out just great for us!  Good luck!

TTC#1 = Success on Cycle#19 with Clomid/trigger/b2b IUIs; beta#1 (15dpiui) 200, #2 (18dpiui) 433, #3 (22dpiui) 2356; TTC#2 = Surprise BFP 9/2009; TTC#3 = m/c at 6 wks, 10/29/11; BFP#2 4/1/2012... Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Try this cup: https://www.nuk-usa.com/12-36months/cups-and-accessories/turtle-lady-bug-active-cup.aspx

We have had great success moving away from the bottle to this style.  It has the feel of a bottle, but the spout is all sippy.  And it really doesn't leak.  He had a little bit of a fit at first, but we replicated everything we usually did with the bottle with this cup and he took to it right away.  We started this about a week ago and haven't used a bottle since.

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• Options

we transitioned DS to the born free sippy.   He was taking milk and juice from other sippies but would not TOUCH milk in them. 

It was a super easy transition once we found the right sippy.

Our IVF Miracle Arrived 2.26.11! <a href="http://s790.photobucket.com/albums/yy188/KikiGee/?action=view
  • Options

First of all - they need a lot less milk than formula, so don't stress out too much if the transition goes slowly.    The mental transition for me was really hard - learning not to equate milk with formula or breastmilk.  

That said - it was still kind of a rough transition for us.   Anna would drink WCM from a bottle no problem (not a milk issue).   She would also drink water out of her sippy cup all the time (not a sippy issue).   But if you put milk in a sippy, she would scream scream scream (so we figured out it was a milk-in-the-sippy issue).    She wouldn't take any other sippy cups at the time, so we just got rid of the bottles cold turkey and only offered milk in sippy cups at the times when she usually got a bottle.   

The result was 5-6 days of screaming and VERY little milk (maybe 6oz a day total), but all of a sudden, one day she figured out that the bottles weren't coming back - she just started drinking the milk from the sippy like it was no big deal.   And was quickly back to getting 12-18oz or so per day.    Which is well within our pediatrician's recommendations. 

Good luck!

Brought to you by IVF, ICSI, limited fert, and oocyte cryopreservation.
    Because we're fancy like that.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"