Working Moms
Options

Q re CA STD

I've looked on the EDD website and its not that helpful re this question.  My employer pays 6 weeks ML, then I should be eligible for STD after that + the one week waiting period, right?  I've paid into the plan, so I know I'm entitled to STD, but my question is does the 6 weeks pay from my employer "replace" the 6 weeks of STD that I would normally get?  Or does the STD just kick in after the employer pay runs out?  Our HR person is useless in this regard, or I would just ask her.  (Don't ask me how she got her job!)  TIA.
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Q re CA STD

• Options

I'm in CA. The one week waiting period is included in your six weeks, so you really only get paid for 5 weeks. Its 55% of your gross salary and not taxed so you end up getting more then you think Smile. My understanding of Short Term Disability Leave is it is only available right after you give birth since you are considered disabled from work while recovering (or since in CA 4 weeks before the birth as well due to your pregnancy). After you give birth you need to let the STD office know the date you give birth right away so they can start counting your six weeks for a vaginal birth or 8 weeks for a c-section. If it is allowed through your work, I would say take your STD THEN your maternity leave.

Also since you are in CA, you have Paid Family Leave (PFL) where you get an additonal six weeks of 55% of your salary as well. When you are on STD, they automatically send you the paperwork to sign up. These weeks you need to take within a year and you can take them a little at a time or all at once.

So if you can get STD AND paid maternity leave then PFL you could have 18 weeks off. Just make sure to talk to your work about how much time they are willing to give you off and put it in writing.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"