Baby Names

Micah/Mica

My anatomy scan is scheduled for Monday. Hopefully then we'll know the gender and can narrow name choices. We both really like the name Micah. I've known both male and female Micahs so it is accepted as gender neutral. The boy name would be Micah Andrew. Girl name would be Micah Estelle. Thoughts on those names or the spelling (Micah or Mica) would be appreciated. Thanks!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Micah/Mica

• Although I've known of girls named Micah, I absolutely cannot stand it on girls.  It gets under my skin big time.  Also, just because you've known both boys and girls with the name doesn't mean it's "accepted as gender neutral."  For example, I refuse to accept it.

Mica is a mineral and a visual arts college.  I'd use Micah. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • imagekacelle:

Although I've known of girls named Micah, I absolutely cannot stand it on girls.  It gets under my skin big time.  Also, just because you've known both boys and girls with the name doesn't mean it's "accepted as gender neutral."  For example, I refuse to accept it.

I agree.  Although people use it for girls I do not consider it gender neutral at all.  I would always assume someone named Micah was a boy.  But, if you are going to use it for a girl I would spell it Micah so at least she will not have to spell it for everyone. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • tlongtlong member
    I really like the name Micah, though I prefer it for a boy. I don't love Micah Estelle. They don't seem to flow very. Maybe because Micah ends in a vowel sound and Estelle starts with a vowel...
    Little Dude - Connor Michael 6/8/09
    Angel Face - Mya Brynn 12/9/11
    imageimage
  • I'm grasping at straws here, people.
  • imagejennyestelle:
    I'm grasping at straws here, people.

I'm confused as to what you mean by this. 

Married to my best friend 6/5/10
    BFP #1 9/7/10, EDD 5/14/11, Violet born 5/27/11.
    BFP #2 4/9/12, EDD 12/16/12, M/C Rory 4/24/12.
    BFP #3 10/6/12, EDD 6/16/12., Matilda born 6/17/13.
  • Def add the "h". Micah in the Bible is spelled that way. My 1/2 sister is named Micah.. I think her mom named her that after a family memeber who passed. She is a cute girl and the name fits her. :)
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I only Micah I know of is the prophet in the Bible so it's very masculine to me.

BabyFruit Ticker

• I think it works just fine as a gender neutral name.  I prefer Micah over Mica.  The only person I have ever known with that name was a girl and she spelled it Maaike.
    Baby Names - BabyNamey.com Name Badge Ticker
    Home Birthing-Breastfeeding-Cloth Diapering-Baby Wearing-CoSleeping-Delayed/Selective Vaccination Mama to Charlie (5yrs) and Madeline (21mos)
  • i have a niece named Micah, so i like it on a girl or boy.  i'm okay with "boy names" on girls, maybe cuz my name is a "boy name"  :)  I say go for it, and spell it Micah :) Good Luck!
  • I love Micah for a boy. Not at all for a girl, and this is coming from someone with a DD named Hayden, so I do like some unisex names.
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I LOVE Micah (for a BOY). Micah Andrew is very cute! (I'd spell it this way).

I realllllly dislike it for a girl-sorry. I guess if you are going to use it I do think Mica looks more girly

• Micah is a great name....for a boy.  People occasionally using it on girls does not make it "acceptable" to do so. I mean, anyone can flout a centuries-old convention. I've heard of girls named Michael and James. That does not make it good. I think a lot of people confuse Micah for a girls name because it ends in the -a sound, and it's not that common, so people don't automatically associate it with the male gender. But it dates back to biblical times and is no more of a girl name than Judah or Jonah. 

I LOVE it for a boy, though.

• I love Micah for a boy.  And I would never ever use the spelling Mica - that is a mineral.
    file:///Users/Ilumine/Desktop/Family%20Portrait%20for%20gift.jpg
  • What about if you named a boy Micah (which I love BTW), and a girl Michaela, but you could call her Micah. That way if she wants a more feminine name later on in life, she could use Michaela. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • imageSarahPLiz:
    What about if you named a boy Micah (which I love BTW), and a girl Michaela, but you could call her Micah. That way if she wants a more feminine name later on in life, she could use Michaela. 

I like this idea, to me Micah is a boy name only

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary
  • It's funny, I consider Micah a boy's name, even though my DH's dog is named Micah, and she's a girl.  He named her after the mineral as well, but gave her the biblical spelling.

With that said, there is a little girl at the elementary school I'm at named Micah Sue, and it's just weird to call her Micah.  But there is also a female character on the show Warehouse 13 with this name, but she spells it Myka, and it doesn't sound weird to me on there.

While I don't like alternative spellings, Mika or Mikah seems like a good alternative to me for a female spelling.  All she would have to say is Micah with a K. 

imageimageimage

Lilypie Maternity tickers

• Don't name a girl Micah. It's awful. And it's not accepted gender-neutral. Just because people occasionally use a boy's name on a girl, doesn't mean it's gender-neutral.

I love Micah Andrew. It's a very handsome name.

I also like Estelle. Have you considered Michal? I've heard it pronounced like Michael, and as MIH-kahl. It's an old Jewish girl's name.

It is beyond bizarre to me to have the same name picked out for either sex. Like....I can't even get my head around that.

VOTE on my Name List

Pregnancy Ticker

• imagekacelle:

Although I've known of girls named Micah, I absolutely cannot stand it on girls.  It gets under my skin big time.  Also, just because you've known both boys and girls with the name doesn't mean it's "accepted as gender neutral."  For example, I refuse to accept it.

I feel the same way. It is such a boys name to me. And MICA is an art school in Maryland.

What about Myla for a girl? Similar sound but so much softer. And you know, actually a girls name.

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers
      Francesca Pearl is here!             Josephine Hope is almost 3!
  • erb82erb82 member
    Mica is a mineral.  Micah is a boy's name.
  • For Micah.  there will be a counter top association, every time you say those words...
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I definitely like it spelled Micah better than without the h, personally.

S/P L salpingo-oophorectomy w/ septic torsion 1999, dx moderate to severe Crohn's dz 2004. DH S/P hypospadic sx w/ multiple subsequent scar tissue removals, S/P herniorrhaphy. Married on 10/7/2006! TTC since May 2011; abnormal SA #1, better SA #2, normal HSG 7/2012, dx MFI/ low egg count, IUI! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Please don't name DD Micah. It's a great boy name, but G-d awful for a girl... and I'm generally a fan of boy names on girls. I like the suggestion of Mikayla or any variation of it. Or, go with another acceptable gender neutral name (i.e., Blake, Drew, Dylan, Emerson). There are soooo many. If you absolutely, positively have your heart set on Micah, then put it in the mn spot and give her a super feminine fn (i.e., Evangaline Micah).
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I think Micah works well for either boy or girl. :)

And I would stick with spelling it MICAH.  When I see "Mica" I pronounce it mee-kah.

• imagealliejo725:

Don't name a girl Micah. It's awful. And it's not accepted gender-neutral. Just because people occasionally use a boy's name on a girl, doesn't mean it's gender-neutral.

I love Micah Andrew. It's a very handsome name.

I also like Estelle. Have you considered Michal? I've heard it pronounced like Michael, and as MIH-kahl. It's an old Jewish girl's name.

It is beyond bizarre to me to have the same name picked out for either sex. Like....I can't even get my head around that.

I thought of Michal for the OP as well, but the correct pronunciation is with guttural "ch," so unless you are comfortable with that I wouldn't use it. It's not such an "old" name- it's actually extremely popular in Israel. I know two women who were born in Israel, both named Michal. Both hate being called "Michael" btw ;-) 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • These gals who are grinding their teeth over using Micah as a girls name are cracking me up. Really? Just because YOU don't think it sounds like a girls name doesn't make it wrong. So it's not traditionally a girls name, so what? Years ago the name Kelly wasn't a traditional girls name either, but look how that changed. The same can be said with a name like Jordan. It too was a boys name that switched gender popularity. If you don't like the name that's more than fine, but jumping all over jennyestelle for using it for a girl makes you come across as those close minded old ladies who mock contemporary names. Ok, I'm done.

For the record jenny, I love Micah for either a boy, but think it's cute for a girl as well. I probably wouldn't go with Mica because I wouldn't want people to mispronounce it as Mee-Ka.

BabyFruit Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"