Single Parents

Divorce/debt question.

So me and the STBXH separated Nov 1st, he has since aquired over $10000 in debt plus the car he decided to keep (another $15000), I filed for legal separation sometime in Jan and Im filing for divorce this month (I had to live int he state for awhile) He has said multiple time as well as in writing he will assume the debt.

Will this work in court? He hasnt responded to me seriving him or called in for the mediation. We have our custody case on the 3rd and he probably wont show up for that. He pretty much wants to take the debt and wants us to disappear... Im cool with that :)

And my LO starts daycare tomorrow!!! SOOOOO nervous but Ill finally be able to provide for us.

If you have experience with divorce/debt id love to hear from you

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live

Re: Divorce/debt question.

• When I originally filed there was an automatic restraining order that prevented either of us from taking out credit. Still, X bought a new car (he really needed one). He assumed that entire debt since it was created after the date we separated. I think most states work that way.

X and I never went in front of a judge - we agreed to everything, had it written up by lawyers, and filed it with the court. If you agree to things then there shouldn't be a need to argue in front of a judge.

• XH and I had agreed on the division of debt and I sent that to my lawyer who put it in the divorce decree. She said it really helped to have it in writing in case he changed his mind and decided to fight it.

• Loading the player...
  • Were filing without a lawyer, so Im pretty sure Ill have to go in front a judge right? We agree on the debt but probably not on the custody but he isnt responding to anything when it comes to paperwork. I should be getting to see free legal this week so hopefully that will help!

Thank you!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Single mama - beautiful baby - learning to live
  • OP i had this problem with my divorce, my ex sat on it for 2 YEARS...wtf i was so pissed off...but yes if you have it in writing the attorney should be able to put it in your decree. for the final dissolution you will go before a judge..i did my divorce myself so really i was told and i quote "there is nothing you can do" some states have that thing where you can make a post in the paper and if they dont respond the judge automatically rules the divorce...a buddy in my unit did this and the now ex wife didnt believe him...but you may want to research that...i cant remember what it is called tho...
    imageimageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"