C-sections

Can you wear your wedding rings during surgery?

I wasn't married when I had my DD so I have no clue but this time I am.  Can you wear your wedding rings during surgery or should I leave them at home?
Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage

Re: Can you wear your wedding rings during surgery?

• No, I had to take off everything, even down to my stud diamond earrings.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My hands were too swollen at that point to wear my rings. I think at my hospital you can but clearly it wasn't an option for my fat fingers.
  • Loading the player...
  • They told me to take everything off but I couldn't get my rings off no matter what I tried. I was worried about it but when I got to the hospital they said it was fine to leave them on. 

After 2+ years and multiple treatment cycles,
    including an IVF vacation in Costa Rica/Panama,
    IVF #2 brought us our miracle baby!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Surprise!  Baby Boy is on the way!

• I was allowed to wear rings and earrings.
  • My wedding rings don't fit right now, so it's not an option, but even if they did I would still leave them at home...  one less thing to worry about.  I would be concerned about getting there and them wanting them off and then not having a secure place to put them.  Last c/s my fingers were too swollen to wear them, too, so I'm not sure if the hospital has an actual policy on it.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers Visit The Nest!
  • When I got to L&D, I was told to take them off and have DH take them. . .Even though a I was in labor and no c-section planned, they wanted to make sure my fingers didn't swell up during the process of labor and all that. I don't know if it is hospital policy or not, but I did swell up pretty bad after the section, so I am glad I didn't have them on.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • After the section they pump you full of fluids. You can swell like crazy so even if rings are okay I wouldn't wear them.
  • I'd leave them home even if they allow jewelry.  I had to take off all mine, and I ended up glad I did.  I didn't swell at all during the pregnancy but swelled quite a bit after surgery.  You don't need to have rings on that might accidentally scratch LO, or a necklace that might get in the way of snuggle time!  Plus then you don't have to keep track of them at the hospital. 
  • No jewlery at all. if they need to cauterize Anything during surgery, you will be burnt where ever you have jewlery on.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • jb2rnjb2rn member

leave them at home.

mine was an unplanned c/s and I could not get my wedding ring off so I went to the OR with it, but if I had a planned c/s, I would have just left it at home.

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• I had an emergency c, once the decision was made to do the c my nurse removed my necklace, but left my stud earrings in place.  My fingers were too swollen to wear my rings, and I had given them up around 20 weeks. 

• I wore mine, had the cauterizing done, swelling wasn't a problem with them, never had anything mentioned about them.  Ponytail holder and contacts were ok too but I did take my hair down so I wouldn't be lying on a lump. 
  • I had 18 hours of labor prior to my c/s. I was pumped full of IVs the whole time and my hands were so swollen that I took my ring off (which was hard for me to trust DH with. lol).

I remember being asked a check in about jewelry, contacts, etc. They knew I had both but never requested I remove anything.

I wore earings, necklace, and toe rings (on both feet). I made the choice to give up my ring (because I was in pain from it). I don't think they would have made me remove it. I have heard sometimes they cover it with tape (why I have no real clue).

It probably depends on the hospital policy.

• skioskio member

My hospital had a lax policy on what can/can't be worn during surgery. I ha to write down what I was wearing but didn't have to take it off. I had my wedding ring on a chain around my neck and studs in my ears. No issues.

I would get them off your fingers, though, due to the swelling. You don't want to swell badly and have your rings end up having to be cut off. My c/s was unplanned, but if it was planned, I would've just left the ring at home.  

imagePregnancy Ticker
  • My rings fit all through my pregnancy, but I also swelled up from fluids after both my c-sections and would not have wanted them on.
    DD born 10/10/07 * DS born 11/25/11 * #3 due 3/9/2015
  • The tape thing is to protect you from theft. If you are unconscious or not fully aware it would be incredible easy for someone to steal a ring.
  • Thanks ladies!  I see your point about the swelling afterwards.  I think I will leave them at home to be on the safe side.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickersimageimageimage
  • My hands were too swollen to wear rings, but I think I had earring in and I know I had my nose stud in.
  • I had to take mine off
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"