March 2012 Moms
Options

disability...suggestions?

Since i have not been with my company for a full year, i dont qualify for fmla.  That means that i get only 6 weeks of maternity leave (and i have to go back in less than 2 weeks)

When i gave birth, my dr. sent a note to my hr department confirming i'd had a baby, and that i would need 6-8 weeks off.  My hr department told me that because he wrote that, i need a note from him stating that i was either released to work at 6 weeks, or a medical reason that i could not come back to work yet.

My dr. was good about signing off on my disability before i gave birth (I was sick, past my due date, and everyone in my office was sick too)... and I really feel like I need more time before going back -mostly emotional- I'm not ready to leave DS, but I also don't have any feeding schedule down, I'm not really able to store up any breastmilk for going back to work, and I'm exhausted from lack of sleep!  These however, are not decent medical reasons for me to give my dr. to ask him to sign off on an extra two weeks off.

I have mastitis ... for the second time in 2 weeks... and am in pain from it... not sure if that would be a good reason.  However, I'll also be done with my antibiotics by the time I see him again.

Any thoughts on good reasons I could ask him to sign off on disability again?

Thanks moms! 

Re: disability...suggestions?

• Options
    Typically they give the range of 6-8 weeks automatically because 6w is the default for a vaginal birth and 8w the default for a csection. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    DS1 born June 2008 | m/c at 9w March 2011 | DS2 born April 2012
  • Options

imagevanillacourage:
    Typically they give the range of 6-8 weeks automatically because 6w is the default for a vaginal birth and 8w the default for a csection. 

Yes- however, my dr. wrote the 6-8 weeks after and because of my vaginal delivery  (my work normally gives 8 weeks for a c-section as well).

(thanks tho!) 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It can't hurt to ask your dr. to write you out for 2 more weeks. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My doctor actually asked me how much disability I wanted/needed and I didn't have any complications.  I think she was open to signing off on more than 6, but I was fine with just 6 because I'm covered under FMLA.  You might be surprised with what your doctor might sign you off on especially given your situation.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    WipzWipz member
    It depends on your job function.... if you sit at a dessk all day mastitis dies not prevent you from performing your job duties.. however severe hemis might be a valid reason.. however they could argue that and make job accommodations instead
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I actually found that going back to work got me into a better schedue than staying at home.  I am able to pump at specific time (well range of times) without worrying about a crying baby, eat a normal meal with two hands, and get back to feeling like a normal person (staying at home was driving me batty).  Also, LO got into a schedule at daycare and she is sleeping better at night now.  Start spending time away from your son now so you get used to not being around him all the time.  Go slow and start by going to the grocery store, then go out to dinner, then a movie, etc... gradually increase the time you are away.  Or see if your daycare will take him part-time.  You could catch up on sleep that way.  And dont' feel bad about supplementing while you build up your supply - keep pumping but instead of giving BM, give formula.

As far as disability goes, try asking your doctor for a general note saying you can't go back to work for a specific amount of time.  Hopefully your work will take it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Anniversary
  • Options
    imageKatieMarie27:

I actually found that going back to work got me into a better schedue than staying at home.  I am able to pump at specific time (well range of times) without worrying about a crying baby, eat a normal meal with two hands, and get back to feeling like a normal person (staying at home was driving me batty).  Also, LO got into a schedule at daycare and she is sleeping better at night now.  Start spending time away from your son now so you get used to not being around him all the time.  Go slow and start by going to the grocery store, then go out to dinner, then a movie, etc... gradually increase the time you are away.  Or see if your daycare will take him part-time.  You could catch up on sleep that way.  And dont' feel bad about supplementing while you build up your supply - keep pumping but instead of giving BM, give formula.

As far as disability goes, try asking your doctor for a general note saying you can't go back to work for a specific amount of time.  Hopefully your work will take it.

All of this - I felt that things actually got better after I went back to work.

If anything, maybe see if your dr can have you work a reduced schedule or only 2-3 days a week for a week or two to ease back into things.  It may be worth a shot.  Sorry you are having such a hard time - it does get better, hang in there!

image April 2, 2011 Exclusive Pumping Facebook Group http://www.facebook.com/groups/113592028761826/ Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

thank u all!  

you're all too sweet; didnt realize that i was making myself sound so pitiful- just going through what working women go through, i guess.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"