C-sections
Options

Cross Post - Shoulder Dystocia Risk

Visiting from May 2012 board -

I just had my CALM screening for shoulder dysotcia risk. I came out in the middle of the intermediate risk level, 1 in 259 chance for injury.

Basically, they will offer me a c section, but are not specifically recommending it! If I was low risk they would not offer the c section, but if I were high risk they would recommend it. Since I am smack in the middle of the middle, they aren't taking a position - I get to decide (presumably due to med mal issues).

I am so confused. Do I roll the dice, I'd prefer a natural birth. If she gets hurt, I'd never forgive myself. The brachial plexis injury can be very serious with long lasting implications.

Then again, the risk is still "low" in terms of statistics and probability. I also think they put you in these categories needlessly at times - I was told I had a high chance of GD, pre e, and a low PAPP placenta problem. I had none of them...

What would you do, and/or what are you doing if you got the same results?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Cross Post - Shoulder Dystocia Risk

• Options

Wow, I'm sorry that you have to wrestle with this- it's a big decision.  My gut reaction (no pun intended) would be to have the CS, but I've already had one and it was a good experience.  I also know that we are most likely done after this baby (#2) so if you would like more than one baby after this one, it's something to think consider.   

I know doctors can be maddening.  It seems like all the input from these boards is that they are either totally noncommittal out of fear of malpractice suits ("whatever you want to do, it's your decision") or mercenary, pushing people into unnecessary procedures b/c it's most convenient or makes the most money.  I feel like this is one of those instances where you have to really value professional medical advice.  I'm not saying that you should go against your better judgement, but this seems just the kind of scenario where their experience and education can really be valuable.  Can you ask your doctor: "What would you do in my situation?" or "What would you advise your daughter to do in my situation?"

I'm 38 years old.  I have 2 masters degrees.  I know how to make decisions and I'm not afraid to go against advice if it seems forced, illogical, or ill-advised.  But I'm not a medical professional.  Hopefully you have a doc that you can talk to that you trust.  Good luck with any decision you make!

• Options
    I have never heard of a CALM screening.  Is this something new? 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Why did you have this screening in the first place? Is your baby measuring large? Do you have GD? 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagePdxmom73:
    Why did you have this screening in the first place? Is your baby measuring large? Do you have GD? 

The screening is a testing device (basically a computer program where they put statistics into a computer from an ultrasound and my physical profile and it spits out data.

As for why I had it - there are 8 categories and if you fall into any one of them, my OB has you complete this test.  GD, pre e, gaining more than 40 lbs in a pregnancy, previous SD, and BMI rates.  The only one I had was a BMI rate (I am overweight, 31 BMI, cut off was 30).

So I took the "test."  I am so torn....

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I would say go for the natural delivery you wanted. I work as an RN on a maternity unit and I have seen 400 pound women have a 6 pound baby. Just because you have an above the cutoff BMI doesn't mean anything for your baby.  They can be off on ultrasound measurements.   Go into labor with an open mind and if the baby isn't descending due to size or something and your doctor recommends a c-section then I would go for it.  Just wait and see how things go!  I can tell you that I have been an RN for 3 years and my hospital does a lot of deliveries and I rarely see a shoulder dystocia. I have never seen one that resulted in real damage. Your doctor will assess the risk of a vaginal delivery when the time comes. It would be a shame for you to do a c-section and end up having a small baby or even an 8 pounder that easily could have been delivered vaginally.
  • Options

im with PP, i would try naturally, the BMI issue doesnt seem like that big of an indicator, especially since youre so close to the cutoff.

i had GD and always measured large (baby was 9 1/2 pounds and my first baby!) and i never had or heard about this screening, interesting, i'll have to ask about it. but it sounds like one of those unnecessary medical interventions thats developed to bring in money, no offense to you or anything! GL! 

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

Testing you bc you had one of eight risk factors seems kind of defensive-medicine-ish, in all honesty. BMI is a pretty arbitrary indicator of health, and your number is one point above the cut-off number, anyway.

Shoulder dystocia is pretty rare, so if you don't have any risk factors for it, I'd do vaginal birth.

Might as well try! Good luck!

DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

I am having an RCS but because I have had 2 other csections. My first child was breech and 9lbs 13 ounces. He was huge and once my doc had me open he said no way I would have had that baby vaginally. I was not overweight but had a huge baby. 2nd time around I weighed more to begin with but was still within a healthy BMI. I elected to go with the csection because the pregnancy was going exactly the same....same weight gain. This time around I started out my pregnancy overweight - 209 for a 5ft 8 frame. I now weigh 215 as of the weight at the doc office today....I have GD(diet and exercise controlled) and they are guessing 8 lbs which would be my smallest baby yet. It all defies the testing you had. 

So all that being said, I say try for  your vaginal birth. I wish it was an option for me. Recovering from a csection with a new little one is not fun! Its not the worst thing in the world but its a slow process for sure! And a bit painful!  

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagenosoup4u:

Testing you bc you had one of eight risk factors seems kind of defensive-medicine-ish, in all honesty. BMI is a pretty arbitrary indicator of health, and your number is one point above the cut-off number, anyway.

Shoulder dystocia is pretty rare, so if you don't have any risk factors for it, I'd do vaginal birth.

Might as well try! Good luck!

Yes

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

I planned a natural birth and ended up with a scheduled c section. DS measured big at 36 weeks so they did an ultrasound at 38 weeks to see just how big. He was predicted to be 12lbs 14oz. My midwife made me speak with an OB of the practice and he we had a conversation about all the risks and decided the c section was what was best for us. I just couldn't live with myself if I tried natural birth the way I wanted an something happened to E.   Sounds like you are doing the right thing in getting all the information and make an informed decision. Don't feel pressured to make a decision either way.

DS was 11lbs and 4oz, and his chest was bigger than his head (he is built like a football player like DH), and everyone said there was no way he would have come out vaginally. I had a very easy recovery but was very scared to chose the c section because it was my first surgery ever. 

laying down the law on Oahu's North Shore

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I wouldn't have a c/s based on those odds and I think it is a little weird that your OB ran the CALM screen on you in the first place.

Big sister {September 2008} Sweet boy {April 2011} Fuzzy Bundle {ETA July 2014}

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"