Military Families

NBR, just wanted to share the awesomeness of strangers

DH and I are young: both 21, although people are always surprised to hear that, so I guess we look older. He certainly looks older, bless him: he already looks like he's in his 30s.  Up until about three weeks ago, we lived in a college town. This college happens to be a military college, and the town is tiny, so it's very common to see people walking around in full army uniform who actually aren't in the army (they're ROTC cadets). No one has ever stopped to thank DH for his service, because they look at him and assume that he's "just another cadet".*

We went grocery shopping last night, and he was in uniform. Three people, complete strangers, stopped us to thank him for his service. They shook his hand, introduced themselves by name, and seemed genuinely thankful (it wasn't just a "hey, thanks": not that there's anything from with that either). They thanked me for supporting him. They congratulated us on the baby. They thanked him again, and flipped their stuff when they learned how young he is, and how long he's already been in the army for (4 years).

It almost made me cry. We're so used to people assuming he's one of those irritating college students who is just doing ROTC to get a free ride to college *. This was the first time something like this happened. It made my night, and his too :)

* Edit: NOT how I/we feel about cadets; but that's how people see cadets in that little town. It wasn't a great place to live. Sorry if I've already offended anyone before I could make that clear :S

Re: NBR, just wanted to share the awesomeness of strangers

• Good for him.  It always feels good to be acknowledged. 

However, the way you talk about Cadets is a bit offputting.  Yes, Cadets can be annoying.  I've had the privilege of working with them professionally as a soldier.  My issue is that you assume they are just trying to get a free ride to college.  Are you not aware that their ride is not free?  They pay back their education by serving in the military as an officer after they graduate and commision.  If they decide not to serve, they have to pay that money back. 

Also, I'd like you to be aware that there are quite a few wives of officers who were commisioned through ROTC.  We also have a few women on the site who were, themselves, commissioned through ROTC.  Your comments are probably offensive to them. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageiluvmytxrgr:

However, the way you talk about Cadets is a bit offputting.  Yes, Cadets can be annoying.  I've had the privilege of working with them professionally as a soldier.  My issue is that you assume they are just trying to get a free ride to college.  Are you not aware that their ride is not free?  They pay back their education by serving in the military as an officer after they graduate and commision.  If they decide not to serve, they have to pay that money back. 

Also, I'd like you to be aware that there are quite a few wives of officers who were commisioned through ROTC.  We also have a few women on the site who were, themselves, commissioned through ROTC.  Your comments are probably offensive to them. 

Oh no no no no, I messed up there (and am editing my OP). I don't think that, by any means. But people in the tiny little town do!

• Loading the player...
  • imageiluvmytxrgr:

Good for him.  It always feels good to be acknowledged. 

I don't know if she changed her original post but I don't see where she was accusing Cadets of getting a free ride through college or downgrading them Tongue Tied

• Eh, I was commissioned through ROTC and am married to someone also commissioned through ROTC and her comments nor those supposed opinions of those in the small town don't bother me in least.  Everyone has opinions, I don't have to take any of those to heart. 
  • That is so sweet! My hubby had the same thing happen to him 2 weeks ago... he left work to come to my OB appointment and was in uniform. He said an older couple stopped him in the parking lot, introduced themselves and thanked him :) It made me cry when he told me! lol
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageArmyQM:
    Eh, I was commissioned through ROTC and am married to someone also commissioned through ROTC and her comments nor those supposed opinions of those in the small town don't bother me in least.  Everyone has opinions, I don't have to take any of those to heart. 

She edited the post after I said something. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"