Natural Birth

Anybody ever put on the wait list at Bon Secours in Norfolk, VA?

Just wondering. I have no idea how they calculate how many ppl they take each month.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Anybody ever put on the wait list at Bon Secours in Norfolk, VA?

• Do you mean for the Midwifery Center?

I think they take around 30 a month.  I wasn't on the wait-list though.  I called as soon as I got my BFP and said "MIDWIFERY CENTER PLEASE!!!!!!!"  Another lady around these parts had her baby there and she got in later in her pregnancy, so there is hope for you!  Even if you can't get into the Center, just being able to see those midwives is AWESOME.  They're freaking fantastic and I feel 100% confident that I will be in the best hands possible, even if there is a need for me to go to L&D instead of the center. 

ETA:  I just saw that you're 32 weeks... I can't remember the latest they accept new candidates for the MWC... I think you're past it.  If you're asking about the regular L&D, then I'm not sure either, really...  I know the midwives attend roughly 70 births a month... 25-35 of which are at the MWC.  

Edited again:  Source says you're NOT past the cutoff and to call them anyway if you haven't already.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Ha, apparently I'm an "anonymous source" now :) 

I would still call and ask if you can get into the Midwifery Center.  You might have to jump through some hoops in regards to getting in to a childbirth education class (which is required) and their 3rd trimester class but it's worth a shot if that's important to you.  

I did come later in my pregnancy somewhere around 30 weeks or so.  I think I might have been an exception because it was my second child because normally I think they cut off at like 20 or 22 weeks.  However, I know they are down in enrollment in the next few months so exceptions might be made (totally guessing).  They take 25 births a month and haven't even hit half that from what I hear in the rumor mill. 

I'd love to answer any questions you have about the place and my experience there.  It's been almost two years (wowzer!) since I had my daughter there but I don't think much has changed and SWBs can answer any current care questions too.  

Lastly, even if you can't get in to the Midwifery Center, I hear nothing but great things about their L&D floor as well.  The same midwives that tend to women in the MC also catch babies in L&D so you could still get a wonderful birth there as well.  

• Loading the player...
  • Thank you guys BOTH!!! I inquired about switching from L&D to MWC the last week of February (22 weeks or so because I was already with the Women's center group in the hospital anyway) and was told that they had plenty of openings, I wanted to wait until we went to the open house on that side which was in a few days (we had already toured the regular L&D many months before).

From the time we found out we were pregnant until now we learned a TON about natural birth and have moved over to wanting a natural delivery. Then on my next visit (1 week later an admin girl told me that they were booked until October. I called them as soon as I got back home and the midwife told me that they were booked. I was stunned!!) I asked if I could get on a waiting list and they said sure and told me that I am first on the waiting list as a first time mother but don't expect to get in. Again, I was FLOORED!!! I also noticed while I was at the tour that many months they have many consecutive days where they did not have any births.   

I am taking the required 6 week class and will go to the third trimester class on May 22nd (and there are only 2 others in my class that are due in June). I am not sure if I said something "wrong" to them that they didn't "like", I don't know who to speak to. In one visit to a midwife she recommended that I don't try to have a natural birth without an epidural because my body needs to focus on "too many things". When I asked in front of the whole group to a midwife if she recommended first time mom's to try and deliver naturally the answer was ENTIRELY different than what I received personally on the phone and behind closed doors. It feels like I'm being 'discouraged' to deliver naturally. I don't know if they just don't 'like' me but it's very very weird.

I had never been exposed to natural birth and where I came from in CT midwives are not common so I called asking a million questions when I started wanting to deliver drug free. The women in the class that I'm taking have always known that they'd deliver naturally. I didn't know the definition of naturally before now. Natural to me was not having a C section. LOL. It was just a concept that we were not exposed to.  

The whole scenario is odd and I can't seem to get a direct answer to 1). how many are accepted?  2). how many are scheduled for June?  3). Why do you recommend some first time mom's and don't seem to recommend me?

Do you have any contacts? 

• The midwives that deliver at the center (and there are only four)  want to make absolutely certain that you are a good candidate to deliver at the center.  They don't want anyone to take it lightly.  While you CAN change your mind in the middle of labor, they want to weed out anyone that they think is likely to change their mind at the last minute, because that could have prevented someone else from delivering at the center that WAS a great candidate.  

I've never gotten any kind of "this might be too hard for you" speech from any of the midwives, but this is my second child.  And I made it very clear at my first appt with them that I did not have a natural birth the first time and why I think I didn't succeed in going epi-free.  

Which class are you taking?  The one that seemed to get the best "reviews" was Birth InSight.  And it really was AMAZING.  In the entire class (15 or so couples?) only ONE was a first time mom and she wasn't set to deliver at De Paul... 

• That helps a ton. I'm not going to change my mind, I've learned too much about the medications, birth process and alternative pain management methods. I get the "taking it lightly" and "weed out" process completely. I wish that's what they would say. That makes total sense with all of the questions I wanted to talk to someone and ask questions since it was very new to me. I guess that may have made them "think" I'm not a good candidate. 

I'm taking the Beginnings class with Nancy and last night was a first night. We loved it. All are first time mothers except 2 (10 couples total).

This is the only time we'll ever live in Norfolk in our lives and we won't have this opportunity with a great facility like this again (husband is military and we're here in Norfolk on a special assignment). I realize now that we were blessed to stumble on to this facility and set of doctors and midwives as the other places we've lived this is not the norm so we have learned soooo much. I've told my family up north all about this facility and they are all amazed.  

Any recommendations at this point? 

• What kind of recommendations are you looking for?  

As soon as we got here and I heard Army's birth story, I knew I wanted to be at the MWC for any kids while we were here (we're also military).  I wasn't sure how the stuff with Tricare would go, but DH and I agreed that if it DID cost extra (it doesn't really... beyond paying for the class... and all the gas... we live 40-45 mins away), that it would still be worth it, because my son's birth in GA was NOT ideal.  

Have you hired a doula?  If you have to be in L&D, maybe you would feel more comfortable with a doula present.   

• After we toured a few hospitals we knew we wanted to go to Bon Secours. We don't have any other children so don't have any other experiences to compare it to. 

I just started inquiring about Doula's. I feel very comfortable with the doctors and midwives so far even if we're in the L&D side they said I could deliv. med free. We live right around the corner (thank goodness).

What is "Army's birth story"? Wasn't sure if you meant birth stories or if it was a documentary, etc.  

I thought you may have worked at Bon Secours and may be able to recommend anyone I could talk to. I can talk to the Midwife next Friday when we see her again.

How long are you stationed here for? 

• By Army's birth story, I mean the other poster in this thread.  She and I are pals.  She'll probably be stuck with my toddler when I go into labor.  :-)  Once I talked to her about the birth of her daughter, I was hooked on the MWC.  

I don't work there.  Just a patient that's very excited to be delivering there.  VERY excited.  (When I called to schedule my initial appt, the person I talked to said, "Are you sure you want to go ahead and get on the list of the Midwifery Center?  Don't you want to attend the Open House first?"  My answer was "Nope.  I want on that list.  I've known I wanted to birth there for over a year... I was just waiting to get pregnant first."  

We're not sure how long we're here.  Hopefully a good long while.  We love this area.  When we were considering assignments, we chose this area because based on when DH should make rank again and the jobs available here (and who he knows), it's likely that we will get orders to stay here longer.  :-)  

If you need help choosing a doula, please let me (or Army) know.  I hired a student doula this time, but Army's doula (from her daughter's birth) is still in the area and pretty great too.  All three of the doulas that work for Birth InSight also seemed pretty wonderful and they all have tons of experience with deliveries at De Paul. 

• That's awesome that you knew that. We moved here and 2 months later we were pregnant. So much to learn, such a short time. Can I ask your experience with your son? 

Yes please recommend Doula's (PM if you don't mind). Did you have a Doula last time?

We're only here until the end of the summer. So I'll be working all the way up until the day and have the summer off before returning back to work and moving at the same time.  

• I hope you don't mind me butting in on your conversation - I am also in the Norfolk area and planning to deliver at the MWC.  I'm not due until Dec and just had my first appt with one of the midwives, but I am so excited to be at what appears to be a wonderful facility.

I actually jumped in because I was hoping either of you might be willing to PM me the names of your doulas and some more info about some good childbirth classes in the area.  I was hoping to take a hypno class, but haven't been able to get in contact with the only instructor I could find online.   

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Leah- if you want to birth at the MC, then you need to tell your midwife that you are certain and why. Don't bother with the office staff.  If you still feel like you are getting the run around then ask them directly why you aren't able to switch. 

Id be happy to send you both names of doulas. I might have to do it tomorrow as the hubs has commandeered the computer for crappy NFL draft stuff and it's difficult to post links and such from the iPad. 

ETA:  you both have PMs.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"