Blended Families
Options

I've been a lurker here but now introducing myself

Right now I have a crazy blended family.   My fiance has two sons and then my brother lives with us as well.   So in our home is we have my 19 year old ss (he mostly does his own thing and is actually looking into moving out on his own soon),  My 15 year old brother (who is super chill and he and I get on really well and he's accepted my fiance very well and gets along with everyone).  They're both really helpful and understanding of all the changes our lives are going through right now.  But my fiance's youngest son who is 16 and has very sever Aspergers syndrome and the changes have been so hard on him.   We try to make everything easy on him especially around the babies coming.   He's really connected to size chart here on the bump that connect the babies to fruit.  Last week was raspberries and those are some of his favorite berries and he was so excited, asking all sorts of questions about the babies.   Sometimes I feel like i'm going to go crazy a house full of boys and i really hope that at least one of the twins is a girl! Though i'd love them just the same if they were boys. 

We're lucky in a lot of regards, because I've read so many posts here with people dealing with birth moms and dads and we don't have that.  My fiance has sole custody of his son and I of my brother  and it makes us this giant crazy mix of a family that defiantly gets some looks when we go out but i wouldn't trade it for the world.

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Re: I've been a lurker here but now introducing myself

• Options
    Welcome!  If you don't mind my asking, I am curious how you came to get custody of your brother?  I can relate to the house full of testosterone.  We have two teenage boys 13 and 15, two large male dogs and MH is a mechanic.  Yep, nothing pink at my house...
  • Options

imagejuliettodd:
    Welcome!  If you don't mind my asking, I am curious how you came to get custody of your brother?  I can relate to the house full of testosterone.  We have two teenage boys 13 and 15, two large male dogs and MH is a mechanic.  Yep, nothing pink at my house...

Oh no I don't mind at all. Our parents passed away in an accident.  My brother and I moved to the united states to live with relatives until I turned 18 and then I took custody of him.   There have been ups and down but i couldn't imagine  not living with him and my fiance is more then happy to have him be a part of our family. 

Do you ever get just overwhelmed with the testosterone? I know that sometimes i just need to get out of the house and do a girly thing, go out with some girl friends.  I think everyone in the house has our fingers crossed for baby girls and I may have already bought two matching little dresses.... I know I'm jinxing myself but I needed a tiny bit of girly!

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imageJNL$LSM:

Welcome, Your family sounds a little like mine. We do not have any children; we had custody of my niece and nephew, now we just have my nephew. My niece moved in with my parents, they are close though. My nephew is great happy, healthy, loving, smiley face, 4 year old. My sister is not in my nephew?s life much. To be honest I do not know where she is. She has been homeless since 2009, in and out of shelters, family, friends, cars, or whatever/wherever she can find.

That must be so hard, not knowing where your sister is.  I'm so sorry for you and for your niece and nephew.  Sometimes people are just not ready to be parents and they are lucky that they can have someone to take care of them who loves them like you. 

• Options

I have a crazy family too.  My DH and I have an almost 4 year old son and he has a 13 year old son (my step son) who we have most weekends and school vacations.  Adding to this is my step son's older brother who is 19.  He moved in with us about 1 month ago.  He's my son's brother's brother, so technically we aren't even related to him.  We also have 2 dogs and a rabbit. 

So far it's all working out great.  Welcome to the BF board!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imageKarma1969:

I have a crazy family too.  My DH and I have an almost 4 year old son and he has a 13 year old son (my step son) who we have most weekends and school vacations.  Adding to this is my step son's older brother who is 19.  He moved in with us about 1 month ago.  He's my son's brother's brother, so technically we aren't even related to him.  We also have 2 dogs and a rabbit. 

So far it's all working out great.  Welcome to the BF board!

maybe you'll have tips on having a 19 year old boy around the house.  Obviously they're a grown up but I never know if i should treat him like a fellow adult or a child... step child.  He refuses to accept me as any sort of mother sort of figure and I can understand that.    

I didn't even mention pets! Some times i lose track of who has who in their bedroom! Kittens, an iguana and hermit crabs at the moment. 

• Options
    imageXIrishPrincessX:

imagejuliettodd:

Oh no I don't mind at all. Our parents passed away in an accident.  My brother and I moved to the united states to live with relatives until I turned 18 and then I took custody of him.   There have been ups and down but i couldn't imagine  not living with him and my fiance is more then happy to have him be a part of our family. 

Do you ever get just overwhelmed with the testosterone? I know that sometimes i just need to get out of the house and do a girly thing, go out with some girl friends.  I think everyone in the house has our fingers crossed for baby girls and I may have already bought two matching little dresses.... I know I'm jinxing myself but I needed a tiny bit of girly!

Yes, I would say there are times when it is overwhelming.  Thank goodness for my best friend who has a little girl so I can buy things like easy bake ovens and Barbie.  I am also glad for Grey Goose Martinis during these times lol.  I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my boys but definitely need to escape the "slugs, snails and puppy dog tails" from time to time.  I think you taking custody of your brother is a wonderful thing.  T&P to you and your family.

• Options

Are you originally from Ireland?

I moved to the US to live with family when I was 22 and took my then 19 year old brother in to live with me.  Crazy times!

I have a SS and DH, three dogs and a cat lol.

Fingers crossed for girls!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagePhantomgirl:

Are you originally from Ireland?

I moved to the US to live with family when I was 22 and took my then 19 year old brother in to live with me.  Crazy times!

I have a SS and DH, three dogs and a cat lol.

Fingers crossed for girls!

Yes I'm originally from Ireland! I've lived here a few years now, and I miss it dearly.  I'm hoping for a trip home once the babies are here.  I tried to convince my fiance that is where we should go for the honey moon but he seemed  to think going home (as it is where he was born as well) would be boring and wanted something tropical.

• Options
    imagejuliettodd:

Yes, I would say there are times when it is overwhelming.  Thank goodness for my best friend who has a little girl so I can buy things like easy bake ovens and Barbie.  I am also glad for Grey Goose Martinis during these times lol.  I wouldn't trade anything in the world for my boys but definitely need to escape the "slugs, snails and puppy dog tails" from time to time.  I think you taking custody of your brother is a wonderful thing.  T&P to you and your family.

Yes! I have a friend who is a single dad to a little girl so just yesterday I went and had a tea party with her. It was so much fun it made me even more excited and hopeful for girls.   I've always been more of a Sky vodka girl myself, with a little something fruity mixed in.  Or... I'll admit it I like smirnoff icey what ever they're called.   

• Options
    imageJNL$LSM:

To be honest it say theis best this way. She would make A LOT of fake promises, say they are getting house, she is going to buy him something, etc. Right now it is a trip to Disney World. Yeah right you are homeless. I will here from her or her husband when they need money.

I'm glad you're able to give them a better home and environment.  Making promises to children and not fulfilling them is horrible really.   Sometimes things can't be avoided but we try to stick to our word in our home.  Which is why my ss has a pet iguana.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"