Adoption
Options

Beating a dead horse- Tax credit

Anyone claim adoption expenses over multiple years?

The bulk of our costs were in 2010 and we got the dollar for dollar credit last year (after SEVERAL times re-mailing copies of receipts).  But we also had some costs carry over into 2011.  We also finalized in 2011 and found out that DS is considered "Special Needs" due to his muscular dystrophy.

My other question- is the $13,360 max per year or per adoption?  Since DS is considered special needs we would qualify for the whole amount not just the 2011 costs. I just wonder if we need to take out the amount we were refunded for 2010.

Thanks for any insight!

Me- PCOS DH-MFI TTC since 2003, several clomid+IUI cycles all BFFN, Forced break due to OOP, turned into a permanent break Unexpected family/private adoption in 2010 DS born at 26 weeks, beat all odds in the NICU Diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy 1/2011 Adoption finalized 2/2011- BEST. DAY. EVER.

Re: Beating a dead horse- Tax credit

• Options
    I also finalized a special needs adoption in 2011 and it is a one time thing.  You get the entire amount the year you claim, which is he was finalized in 2011, you should have claimed on these taxes the entire amount.  It is not per year though, just per adoption. Hope this helps.  I did my taxes and got my entire refund back in 4 weeks, including the adoption credit.
  • Options
    The information we got was you could claim expenses one year after they were incurred even if not yet finalized....we just finalized our adoption a few weeks ago. We claimed 2010 expenses on our 2011 return and will claim 2011 expenses on our 2012 return, from our understanding the amount $13,.... is the combined max amount over the years claimed.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thanks for the info!  We did claim the full amount, but we listed the amount we got back in 2010.  I'm planning on an audit and deducting the 2010 amount.
    Me- PCOS DH-MFI TTC since 2003, several clomid+IUI cycles all BFFN, Forced break due to OOP, turned into a permanent break Unexpected family/private adoption in 2010 DS born at 26 weeks, beat all odds in the NICU Diagnosed with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy 1/2011 Adoption finalized 2/2011- BEST. DAY. EVER.
  • Options
    I'm a paralegal for an adoption attorney. I'm always giving out this website for people interested. NACAC, the North American Council on Adoptable Children is an excellent resource!! Here is there info on the tax credit. https://www.nacac.org/taxcredit/taxcredit.html
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"