Birth Stories
Options

XP: Elise's homebirth story (long)

I have a few minutes while LO sleeps so I figured I'd try to post a quick recap of Elise Annabelle's grand arrival.

I woke up last Wednesday morning at 2AM with contractions.  I thought for sure this was the start of my labor.  The contractions were not at all intense, but regular at 15 minutes apart in my pelvic region.  By 5AM the contractions were becoming more erratic and less frequent.  Considering I never had painful BHs I figured these were more intense BH contractions.  The contractions were replaced by a slight cramping in the same area.  H called out of work thinking I was in labor so then we spent the day running errands.  I felt pretty crampy and uncomfortable all day and had the bowling ball between my legs feeling.  When I went to bed that night I had a gut feeling LO would be arriving the next day.

H and I went to bed at 10:30P and I woke up at 2:10A to pee.  When I returned to bed I had a noticeable contraction and then I heard a little pop.  I immediately felt between my legs and could feel some wetness.  I got up to go to the bathroom and the amniotic fluid was running down my legs.  By the time I got to the bathroom my underwear was very wet and I could not stop the leaking.  H called my midwife.  I spoke with her and she explained that she'd come over immediately if we wanted, or we could wait until my contractions were 5 minutes apart.  Considering I'd only had 1 contraction prior to my water breaking, I told her we'd wait.  As it turned out, my contractions were immediately 4 minutes apart. 

I labored in the shower while I waited for my midwife.  She arrived around 3:45-4AM.  She and H filled the birthing tub immediately.  When it was 1/2 full she asked to check me.  I was already 7cm.  She told me I could get in the tub.  I labored there for a while.  The assistant midwife and midwifery student showed up at some point.  I don't know when. I just remember looking up from the tub and seeing them.  At 6:30(ish), I was feeling the urge to push so my MW checked me again.  At that point I was at 10cm and ready to go.  I started light pushing, but being a FTM, it was uncomfortable and I wasn't sure exactly how I was supposed to be doing it. I kept telling my MW I had to go to the bathroom and she kept assuring me that it was the baby's head, but if I wanted to get out of the tub I could try going to the bathroom or I could just go in the tub.  As the pressure increased I began to care less and less about pooping and more about the pain I was beginning to feel come on stronger and stronger.  I felt like my contractions were slowing down and actually asked my MW if I should get out of the tub.  She recommended pushing on the toilet for a little while to see how I felt. I felt an immediate difference in pain level and it was like I instantly knew how to push being out of the water.  

I began pushing on the toilet for a few minutes and then the MWs said they didn't want me on the toilet and the birthing stool would be a better option.  I moved back into my living room and began pushing there.  Finally after pushing for close to 45 minutes (combined tub, toilet and birthing stool), I felt the ring of fire and knew I was close. I pushed 2 more times and then my MWs told me to move to my hands and knees.  That was the first time I actually said (and felt like) I could not do something.  With quite a bit of urgency they both told me I had to.  H and one MW whisked me off the stool and I was on all fours.  Apparently LO's hands were on her face and her elbow was bent and caught on my pelvis.  With one more push and some slight jiggling, my beautiful daughter emerged into the world. 

The placenta was delivered about 45 minutes later.  We waited for it to stop pulsating before we cut the cord.  We had it encapsulated.  I will begin taking those pills within the next few days.

After all was said and done,  Elise Annabelle arrived completely um-medicated, at home after only 5.5 hours of labor.  She weighed 8 lbs. 9 oz. and was 20.5 inches long with a full head of black hair.  We are all adjusting to life quite well together! 
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: XP: Elise's homebirth story (long)

• Options
    Congrats!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ what a happy day ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • Options
    What an amazing birth story!  You did an AMAZING job!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Beautiful Birth Story.

Question - why are you taking the encapsolated umbilical cord pills? I have never heard of this and am completely curious. :)

Our World!!

Blaine Emerson                  Bailey Rae

3-31-14                               6-10-11

image image
  • Options
    What a great story! Congrats!
  • Options
    Amazing! congrats on your little girl :)
           I am convinced that coffee is God's gift to mothers.

BabyFruit Ticker       
    **  DD-5.30.11 ** DS-1.15.13 ** #3 EDD - 9.4.14 ** 

• Options
    akatingakating member
    imagerlmanning:

Beautiful Birth Story.

Question - why are you taking the encapsolated umbilical cord pills? I have never heard of this and am completely curious. :)

I believe she was taking encapsulated placenta pills. They hold many hormones in them and help with mental well being, milk production, etc. Here is a website with more info.

https://www.fruitofthewomb.me/

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    What an amazing story. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"