Babies: 6 - 9 Months

SLOW Weight gain in 6.5mo old

Both my girls are small, been around the 5th percentile. At 6mo appt she was only 12lbs 2oz in the 1st%. we went for a weight check 2 weeks later and she gained 5oz. She eats on demand BF but refuses a bottle. I add a whole scoop pf formula to her cereal 2x daily. She is a very happy baby and never fuses as if she were hungry.

My MIL had to take 2 of her kids in for low weight and in the end they decided they were just small. The dr wants us to come back in 3wks for another check.

Any stories or advice?

Re: SLOW Weight gain in 6.5mo old

• Both of mine are tiny as well.  DD #1 has never reached the 1st percentile, and DD#2 dropped from the 45th to the 5th between three and six months.  She gained ONE oz between months five and six.  I BF on demand as well, and she eats all the time.  We went in for weight checks, and eventually she started gaining a bit more.  I worry a lot, but I try not to, because in the end I really think being tiny is just genetic in our case.  Now that she is on solids & eating like a champ, I worry less.

I guess all you can do is work with your Dr. to determine whether there is a problem.  GL!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We had a slow weight gain problem as well. Jeremiah never hit that 1% mark though, but he did drop from 75th% to eventually 5th% from birth to 6 months. Our Ped did say though that if he had maintained his weight percentile, he wouldn't care so much if it was 95% or 3%. Our problem was the J kept dropping in percentiles which is what raised concern. Our Ped has us try a variety of things from spacing out feedings (thinking the more time between feedings, the more he may take in instead of "snacking"), offering a bottle after nursing, introducing solids, changing when things are offered, and introducing meats.

Between 6 & 7 months, he jumped from the 5th to 25th percentiles which was a huge relief because we felt like the pressure was off our shoulders. So I feel ya with the whole weigh in situation. We have his 9 month in 2 weeks and I'm praying J hasn't dropped again.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • My LO is the same. She 12 lbs 12 oz around that age and is breastfed too. BF babies gain a lot of weight between 0-3 mo and then the weight gain slows where it doesn't really work that way with formula. In addition all of the charts are based on primarily formula fed kids. BF is what is best and I believe she would let you know if she was hungry. 
    You will never know how much you mean to me my little jelly Bean.
    Mommy loves you Eevee! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    <a href="http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/cpali/?action=view
  • imagejesusita2002:

We had a slow weight gain problem as well. Jeremiah never hit that 1% mark though, but he did drop from 75th% to eventually 5th% from birth to 6 months. Our Ped did say though that if he had maintained his weight percentile, he wouldn't care so much if it was 95% or 3%. Our problem was the J kept dropping in percentiles which is what raised concern. Our Ped has us try a variety of things from spacing out feedings (thinking the more time between feedings, the more he may take in instead of "snacking"), offering a bottle after nursing, introducing solids, changing when things are offered, and introducing meats.

Between 6 & 7 months, he jumped from the 5th to 25th percentiles which was a huge relief because we felt like the pressure was off our shoulders. So I feel ya with the whole weigh in situation. We have his 9 month in 2 weeks and I'm praying J hasn't dropped again.

We are having this problem now.  DS was 4% at birth, jumped up to the 70s, and then dropped from 75-ish% at 4 months to the 30s at 6 months to the 20s at nearly 8 months.  

I was super concerned about it, particularly because he is not the least bit interested in solids.  DS is breastfed and we're doing finger foods (but he doesn't eat much at all). She said it's likely because he is so super busy and gained a tremendous amount of mobility at 4 and 6 months (rolling and crawling and now he's pulling up and doing downward dog and starting to bear crawl).  She said just keep offering the food that we're eating, keep nursing, and check again at 9 months.  I remain a bit worried about it, but he is getting taller so he's growing (just up!).  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Tiny baby?  What's that? haha. DD is a chub. At her 6 month appt, she weighed 19lbs 14oz. She was born 8lbs 2oz. 

No advice, but I figured I'd chime in! lol.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Glad to hear she's happy and healthy!

• She only gained 8oz in a month and now they want to do blood and urine tests. She wont take a bottle and they want me to give her formula. Here's to a hoping for health in my happy crawling girl!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"