Blended Families
Options

Book report... just a little vent

SD has a short book report due every 2 weeks in the form of a letter to her teacher.  She and I work on them together, since DH and BM both hate writing projects (and I'm a nerd who loves them).  She will write her first draft on her own and then I go through and correct spelling, write questions that I think she should address in the margins, take out the occasional irrelevant fact, etc...

Editing last night and I run across this sentence "Kristi's parents are divorced and her wish is that they would get back together.  Just like me."

SDs teacher encourages them to connect the text they're reading to their own lives.  I know this is a totally normal thing for her to want, and I won't bat an eye when we go over this tonight.  But it was a little sad for me to see that.  I know she loves me as much as a child can, but I also know I will always be the "outsider".

Stupid homework.  /vent

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.

Re: Book report... just a little vent

• Options

That is tough.

My SDs have said similar things it they usually follow up with "....but if mom and dad hadn't broken up we wouldn't have you or our baby brother here" 

BabyFruit Ticker
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options

imagewendilea:
    That stings.  She didn't mean anything malicious by it, I'm sure.  All kids wish their parents were back together at some point, even if they adore their step parent.

This! My SD did a lot of this when her mom was marrying her now SD. She had convinced herself her dad could be married to me and BM#2. I know it didn't have anything to do with me and we have an important part in each others lives.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Or did she mean that she could relate to the character because her parents are divorced, just like me.  She may or may not have agreed with the wishing they were still together that was just something she understood b/c she and the character were in similar livestyles of divorced parents and blended families.

Don't take it personally.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    It is hard not to take it personally. My SD seems to have only a couple memories of her parents as a couple, but used "My parents splitting was a destructive event in my life" as a vocabulary sentence. Even though I know rationally that she is actually better off with them apart, it still sucks to know that a child's gut response isn't based on reason yet is still totally valid. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    imagesweetie0228:

Or did she mean that she could relate to the character because her parents are divorced, just like me.  She may or may not have agreed with the wishing they were still together that was just something she understood b/c she and the character were in similar livestyles of divorced parents and blended families.

Don't take it personally.

DH and BM were never married.  She knows they broke up and aren't divorced. 

Mama of 2: one who grew in my womb, both who grow in my heart.
  • Options
    I'm sorry, that's hard to hear even if she meant no harm. I guess IRS a good thing ds has no recollection of me and bd together.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"