Blended Families
Options

SS update...

SS babysat the kids for us last Friday.  DH and I went out on "date" night, and he stayed over because he and some of the graduating class were going to the theme park Satuday afternoon. 

He told us he was getting the graduation invites done (we were supposed to do it but I guess either he's footing the bill for that or BM is now), and we should be seeing it soon.  He also said he was going with BM and her family to Discovery Cove and that she paid for him.  He also has been smoke free for a month, and he shed about 15 pounds.  He said he lost weight because he was afraid of eating too much food knowing his grandmother doesn't get paid a lot.  He also realized that he was eating out of boredom.

He also said his grades have improved and the D's and C's were now B's.  His drive to school is a lot farther so he's saving every penny for gas.   He isn't thinking about the military anymore, he's wanting to get a full time job and get into college. 

It was a great conversation. 

Re: SS update...

• Options
    That is wonderful news!  It sounds like he is really taking responsibility for himself.  Congrats!  You must be very proud. Big Smile
  • Options

I wanted to add that I'm glad we're "friends".  Not "step mother" and "step son" - KWIM?

I am proud.  I know a lot of your may not get what I am saying when I say he needed to be on his own.  His personality was like that - his mother raised him to let him do whatever he wanted.  Okay you want to stay up until 2 am - fine, etc... she's very liberal that way.  So someone who at 7 years old was used to living his own life, when he moved into our house and rules, this was tremendously difficult.  He does better when he's managing himself - he makes mistakes, he learns from them (or not) but there is no one he can point fingers at.  

I'm looking forward to being at his graduation.  Of course his BM will be there too and she'll somehow make it about "her" but he's going to have to deal with that.

• Loading the player...
  • Options

It sounds like something just clicked for him. All of those plans sound so adult and well-thought out. I'd be proud to have a conversation like that with my son one day.

How great for your family!! 

my read shelf:
    Erin's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options
    Thanks felles.  It was a looong road but I'm really happy that he's graduating and he's doing well.
  • Options

Thats great.  I moved out at 18 and never looked back.

Necessity is the mother of invention, when you have to do it you have to do it!

Good to 'hear' from you XXX

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"