Un-weaning? — The Bump
Attachment Parenting

Un-weaning?

Has anyone had a weaned toddler start BF'ing again when a younger sibling was born?

DS weaned in December at 26 months- he's still a boob man, and has become especially obsessed as my pregnancy progresses. He shoves his hand down my shirt as much as I'll allow, and will occasionally try to latch in the shower . Anyway... I've been trying to prepare him for the idea of his little brother BFing in a few weeks. This morning he told me, "I'll have this one, and Jackson can have that one!"

I'm not psyced about the idea of tandem nursing, but I worry that in a sleep deprived state I will just let him BF. Thoughts?

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Un-weaning?

• Maybe not full time, but I would allow him. Clearly he still wants this bond with you. I'd try to keep it occasional and in the mindset of closeness and comfort.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • You say that he tries to latch, but can he actually latch? One way that weaning happens is that kids actually forget how to latch and that is that.  The try, some are sad and grieve the loss, and then they move on. Some moms will let the child continue to try to help them process, but I have never heard of a kid actually relearning to latch.

But, let's say he can indeed still latch...I think tandem nursing is (theoretically, as I have not done it yet) a great thing and hope that DS will not wean before baby comes. I can't think of a better way to get in cuddles and help my first baby be as close as he needs to be for the big transition of having a sibling. Also, if he wants to cuddle or nurse while NB is nursing, I'll know exactly where he is and he won't be getting into things he shouldn't or acting out for attention.

• He doesn't really latch, it's more like he's sucking on a straw (super comfortable). So maybe even if I let him try to nurse, he'll realize that it doesn't "work" anymore...

Good point about always knowing where he is! LOL

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • image LizB214:

Has anyone had a weaned toddler start BF'ing again when a younger sibling was born?

DS weaned in December at 26 months- he's still a boob man, and has become especially obsessed as my pregnancy progresses. He shoves his hand down my shirt as much as I'll allow, and will occasionally try to latch in the shower . Anyway... I've been trying to prepare him for the idea of his little brother BFing in a few weeks. This morning he told me, "I'll have this one, and Jackson can have that one!"

I'm not psyced about the idea of tandem nursing, but I worry that in a sleep deprived state I will just let him BF. Thoughts?

ok, this is the cutest thing that I have heard all day!  That would definitely make me give in to bfing him again!!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards