Preemies
Options

Sleep?? Anyone getting any?

At 6 months (4 adj) my sweet little boy is getting up every 3 hours to eat at night some nights, other nights can go 6 hours.  Doctor says put him in the crib between 8-10 at night and don't even go to him until 5 or 6 in the AM, that he is "playing" me and once again exhibiting his "persistent personality."  Ahem.  (deeeep breath).  I know he is 17 lbs, I know he has shown me he can go longer at night, but there is no way I can abandon him at night.  So tell me, should he be sleeping more at night than he is?  What methods do you/did you use to help your little one sleep longer?  I know that crying it out MAY be something we have to go to eventually, but in my mind it's a last resort.  I just don't know what to really be expecting from him as far as sleep...  Thanks Mamas!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Sleep?? Anyone getting any?

• Options
    sleep issues and crying it out are very personal decisions and something you will have to make your own mind up about - personally I do not believe CIO is necessary and I do not subscribe or practice it at all. DD started sleeping longer and longer stretches at night on her own around 3 months adjusted and was sleeping through the night for the most part by 4months adjusted - I feed her on demand and usually after her late bottle she would fall asleep in my arms and I would take her to her basinett - If she woke up I would go comfort her pick her up rock her give her a binkie etc until she started to fall asleep again and I would put her back - she rarely needed a bottle at night after 3.5 months adjusted - I serioulsy doubt at 4 months adjusted your child has a "persistent personality" or any type of personality actually - shes a great night time sleeper and sleeps in her crib in her room and only when she is sick or has something going on will she end up in our bed.... I dont think your boy is having sleep issues, it sounds like hes doing a normal amount of sleeping but every baby is different - My advice is to try and soothe him at night without feeding and see if a paci and some snuggles are all he needs to fall back asleep.... once he stops needing food at night he might sleep better... GL
    image image imageLilypie Premature Baby tickers
  • Options
    We finally decided to do Ferber at 11 months (9 adjusted) because he was still waking up 3-5 times a night.  It helped.  But, I wouldn't have done it before then.  He really wasn't ready. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    p.s. get a new pedi asap.  This is the 2nd time you've posted about something your pedi said that bothered you.  There are lots of pedis out there that don't act a fool.
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Options

I guess some people sleep train at 4 mo, but IMO that's whack. You're not comfortable with it so don't do something just because your pedi said to - not when it comes to that. They should be neutral and tell you a few options.

Anyywayyy - I read every sleep book I could get my hands on and I learned that I have a bad sleeper. He's older now so when he's mad about having to go to sleep I let him cry but it's just a grumpy mad-at-this cry not the cry of a 4-8 mo old. KWIM?

He's still a wretched sleeper but he has an amazingly happy temerment - he can hang out for hours, fusses rarely, etc. Sleep is just his blah area...not surprising, his parents are bad sleepers. Anyway, I've felt like I was losing my mind at times - and it's only been the last two weeks that he's been STTN for his age 10-11 straight - he mostly skipped the 5 hr stretches. It was 1-3 hours every night for months :(

I keep a daily log - every day for two months now. Wish I'd started sooner but it helps me track these things.

• Options

My sons are 7 months/3.5 adjusted and they usually go 8-8 without waking...sometimes they will get up between 5 and 7 for a bottle, and then go back down until 9ish (which happened this morning).  Should your baby be sleeping longer stretches?  To be quite honest, I don't know.  Every baby is different, just like every adult is different.  When one baby wakes in the middle of the night we don't rush to his side.  Sometimes he falls back asleep after talking to himself for a bit, sometimes he needs a bottle.  Sometimes he cries out and we let it go for a few minutes.  We don't go in unless we know it is a real cry. We feel it out.  If you aren't happy with your pedi, I would change doctors.  I've read that some babies aren't really hungry and are just used to those middle of the night bottles. 

We didn't use any methods to get them to sleep longer stretches.  They just started dropping middle of night feeds on their own (once we got the ok to stop waking to feed).

• Options
    Thanks for all the advice!  We are looking at a new pediatrician...no worries :)  I know that what she says seems out there, and I disagree with many of her opinions.  I am thinking that I am going to give him another couple months to see if that helps him sleep better...I will also try to sooth him without feeding, we will see how that goes.  I love that I can come here and get lots of support, different ideas, and some humor, too.  Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"