Attachment Parenting

Pregnant with #2 and still nursing #1. I think we are both losing weight...

I am 6 weeks pregnant and still nursing my 18 month old DD.  I have received several comments about me looking much thinner and I think my DD has lost some weight too.

I am concerned that she isn't getting enough (she eats solid food 3 x's a day plus snacks but she eats like a bird)!  I am also concerned that baby #2 is getting enough as well.  Everything I have read on kellymom and similar sites say that our bodies are made for this and baby #2 will be fine but I can't help but worry.

Could my supply have dropped already?  I have definitely noticed an increase in the frequency of DD nursing, especially during the night, but that may be because I used to sleep through nursings (we cosleep) but now my nipples are tender and I wake up every time she nurses.

Any advice is appreciated! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Pregnant with #2 and still nursing #1. I think we are both losing weight...

• Good luck

• I highly recommend getting your hands on a copy of Adventures in Tandem Nursing.

Your supply can certainly have dropped, but you won't deprive your new LO of any nutrients.  

• Loading the player...
  • I am a little over 7 weeks, I have noticed a decrease in my supply. I am trying to get DS to drink more WCM during the day, I would also rather not tandem BF, so I hope he will self wean at some point in the next couple months. Plus my nipples hurt so bad, most nursing sessions only last a couple minutes because I can not take it for very long.
  • "Adventures in Tandem Nursing" is really thorough and goes through a lot of pregnancy stuff.

If you're worried about weights, buy a scale and weigh yourselves. Don't worry about random comments.

If you are going to continue nursing, you HAVE to take care of yourself. You have to eat enough and well. It's also probably a good time to introduce another milk to DD. I've started giving DS cow milk in a straw cup after meals because I'm going to work soon and don't plan to pump. We'll nurse when together. Similarly if your supply is falling (and hormones do that to some women), you could introduce another drink to supplement with if DD isn't huge into solids.

• My DD is almost 18mos old and I'm just shy of 16wks pregnant.  My supply did did pretty much immediately but DD picked up the nursing for a few days and my supply seemed to somewhat rebound.  I also used More Milk Two because I was super nervous although I stopped that around 6wks because I no longer felt I needed it.

Right now my supply is definitely not what it was but it is enough and DD has cut back down on nursing (3-4 times daily instead of 6-8 times).  I haven't gained much so far this pregnancy and wonder if BFing has something to do with it but my midwife isn't concerned yet.

Your body is going to give to your LOs before you.  If you are worried about LO1 losing weight, I really don't feel like BFing is to blame so that is something to discuss with the pedi.  If you feel you are loosing weight then you definitely need to be upping your caloric intake and make sure you're taking care of yourself.  I'm pretty sure your body is taking care of the new baby but it may not have enough left to keep you going.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Currently going through our second deployment. Can't wait for Zoe to meet her daddy!

• I am just up 1 lb at 25 weeks of PG. I think nursing and chasing after my little guy plays into it. Because I know that I am in no way retricting calories, protein, or fat I don't have any concerns. My body will do what it needs to do. I third the suggestion to read Adventures in Tandem Nursing. Also, don't stress about your DD unless he has signs of ill health. You are offering breast and solids amply, right? So, she is choosing how much to eat and when. Remember that kids slow down in their weight gain and thin out. Also, they start consuming less than in their first year because their growth rate is so much lower.
  • Thanks so much everyone!  I will definitely be getting the book you all recommended.  It was reassuring to hear you all say that my LO's are getting what they need.  Yes I am offering DD#1 plenty of chances to eat.  She just takes a couple bites and is done majority of the time.  I will try and offer her WCM more often and see if that helps as well!  I will also make sure I am getting enough too!

I think my supply might be bouncing back a tad, due to her increased nursing.  It is not so bad when she nurses, only when she first latches.  

Thanks again everyone!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • FWIW, I am tandem nursing right now and DS1 has gained 5 lbs since DS2's arrival! He only gained 3 lbs from yr 1 to year 2, and I got pg w/ ds2 when he was 18 mo (I think he weighed around 23 lbs then and was 25 lbs at yr 2). My supply was gone by the 2nd trimester, and he only nursed 1-2 x/day. Then he started cutting his 2 yr molars around the time my colustrum came in and he was back nursing 4-5+ times. He just didn't grow much b/t yrs 1 and 2! Now he is up 5 lbs in the last 3 1/2 mo b/t nursing like a newborn and eating a ton. He wasn't much of an eater before.

I found that the pain would come and go, so hang in there.. it gets better at times!

I agree with the book rec...  I wish I had known about it earlier. Also, know that there are a lot of emotions that tandem nursing can bring (the book does a great job explaining it all), and they aren't always good emotions! Tandem nursing has been the most challenging thing I have ever done, but it is worth it (I hope!)!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"