Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

I'm not cut out for this...

This may get me flamed, but I'm not in love with the newborn phase. With DS1, I didn't realize I didn't like it until he got older and became so much more fun. With DD2, every day reinforces how much more fun it is when they sit up and start making noise, smiling, laughing and "giving back" (oh, and sleeping predictably). I love my little lady and will give her everything she needs (and more), but I can't wait until this phase is over and she's a little more fun.

Am I the only one?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
CafeMom Tickers

Re: I'm not cut out for this...

• Options
    Yah, I pretty much hate the NB phase too.  This baby is my last so I'm enjoying it more than usual.  But, I find myself thinking things like I can't wait until he smiles, burps on his own, laughs, etc. 
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    That's how I am feeling too. I'm a FTM and I feel awful for thinking this, but glad I'm not the only one in the same boat lol. All of my grandparents LOVE newborn babies and hold LO for hours on end. But I just can't wait for a few months to pass before he does more than just eat and sleep.. I'm just glad not to be alone in all of this, my mom has actually been a big help and my SO is doing better than I thought he would too.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    i hated the newborn phase with DD1, and still hate it with DD2.  my issue is sleep.  mama is not a nice person when sleep deprived.  i like it when they are about 3 months old and can start sleeping for more than 2-3 hour stretches at a time.  i don't feel bad about saying it, some people love newborns, and i am not one of them.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    I feel the exact same way.  I know i will get much better and enjoyable but at this stage I'd actually like to go to work.
  • Options
    ditto, ditto, ditto
  • Options
    No. I keep saying that I can't wait until she crawls around and is big enough to ply with toys, but since she's my first everyone tells me I'm being ignorant and will regret my words later.
  • Options

imagem&m2006:
    i hated the newborn phase with DD1, and still hate it with DD2.  my issue is sleep.  mama is not a nice person when sleep deprived.  i like it when they are about 3 months old and can start sleeping for more than 2-3 hour stretches at a time.  i don't feel bad about saying it, some people love newborns, and i am not one of them.

I feel the same way. I think newborns are cute, but not when they're waking me up every 3hrs to nurse. The sleep deprivation really gets to me and I don't see it ending anytime soon. Crying

• Options

I know everyone keeps saying "they don't stay little for long enough" but it's only been 2 weeks and I'm thinking I wouldn't mind too much if I could get a part-time job or skip the next month...

How do you use the community badges??? 

• Options
    You are absolutely not alone. I am just starting to like being a mom. The first 6 weeks, and some days still, were absolute hell. They demand so much and just seem unhappy no matter what you do. I know it sounds terrible but it wears you out. We have just hit the giggly, consistent eye contact stage in the past couple of weeks and it makes the 2am and 5am wakeup calls a little more bearable.
  • Options

imagedino24saur:
    No. I keep saying that I can't wait until she crawls around and is big enough to ply with toys, but since she's my first everyone tells me I'm being ignorant and will regret my words later.

Don't believe them. haha. I never liked it...still don't! Good news is it gets better (and easier).

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options
    Ditto to everything that has already been said.  I actually want time to tick a little faster right now.  I know it gets easier, but that doesn't really make me feel better when I'm sleep deprived.  Mom + no sleep = grumpy mess
    Feb'12 March Siggy Challenge - Lucky Charm
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    BFP #3 - 05.20.11, EDD - 01.31.12, Logan is here! 02.05.12
    BFP #2 - 03.16.11, M/C 03.24.11
    BFP #1 - 10.17.10, Blighted Ovum dx, M/C 01.09.11
  • Options

Truth:

You're not the only one to have these feelings.  It won't be the last time you feel this way.  And that's OK.  As bad as the bad times are, the good times are always 1000x better. 

But you already know that. Wink

• Options
    I am also not a fan of the nb stage.  I love my kids, but it's just so boring.  My son is almost 3 now and is so much fun.  We can talk and play together.  I don't like just sitting and doing nothing with my nb.  (although she is super cute!)
  • Options

You are absolutely not the only one to feel this way.  And also not the only one people have told to "stop wishing this time away".  I actually cried with joy/relief when my 8.5 week old started smiling.  Up until that day I was really starting to wish time would speed up to the "fun time" when they can actually interact and respond.  

• Options
    Thank you for posting this! I'm a  FTM and DH just went back to work after a nice 2 week paternity leave. Today was my second day home alone and when he got home I just cried. I LOVE our DD, but she's like a ball and chain. She only needs me for milk. I know things could totally be worse, but I'm looking forward to bottle feeding so DH can help with night feedings and I can get some sleep.
  • Options
    Ditto times a million. I would actually call myself miserable right now. Thank goodness I'm madly in love with my son. I have a few friends who had a hard time bonding with their nb, and honestly, I don't know how I would survive the sleep deprivation, dairy-cow feeling, isolation, etc etc. if I didn't feel connected to the little creature responsible for it all.
  • Options

imageboydstm:
    You are absolutely not alone. I am just starting to like being a mom. The first 6 weeks, and some days still, were absolute hell. They demand so much and just seem unhappy no matter what you do. I know it sounds terrible but it wears you out. We have just hit the giggly, consistent eye contact stage in the past couple of weeks and it makes the 2am and 5am wakeup calls a little more bearable.

It really does. I don't feel like I'm taking care of a crying Christmas ham anymore at 7 weeks. I've always loved him but now I'm finding that I really like him, too. 

• Options
    dojo1dojo1 member

I just spent the last three hours dancing, rocking, reading, singing and nursing a partner who has zero appreciation for my efforts and finally succumbed to his exhaustion, so no.. I'm not loving every minute of this stage, but I love my son and despite these difficulties I don't want to wish this time away. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    Let me put it this way... I dislike the newborn phase so much that it's made me reconsider wanting to have more than one baby. I am constantly saying how I can't wait til he's like 5 - 6 months old and keep getting flamed for it. I like newborns when I get to hold them then give them back to their mom and go home to get some nice peaceful sleep. I'm so ready for him to be sitting, crawling, and walking... and ready for him to let me put him down for more than 5 minutes when he's awake so I can clean up my now very messy house lol
  • Options
    I am not as much of a fan of the newborn phase either... so delicate and helpless and I am so worried they will get sick and then be in the hospital with spinal taps and the works.  I much prefer when they start interacting and sitting up and baby talking myself.  DS is now cooing and giggling and babbling and it makes it so much more rewarding! (he is 9 weeks)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Go ahead and throw me into this "I don't like the NB phase." It's made me feel like something was wrong with me - but knowing there are other women out there who feel the same way, even though they adore their LOs makes me feel like less of a monster.
  • Options

imagelvrunningirlie:
    Let me put it this way... I dislike the newborn phase so much that it's made me reconsider wanting to have more than one baby. I am constantly saying how I can't wait til he's like 5 - 6 months old and keep getting flamed for it. I like newborns when I get to hold them then give them back to their mom and go home to get some nice peaceful sleep. I'm so ready for him to be sitting, crawling, and walking... and ready for him to let me put him down for more than 5 minutes when he's awake so I can clean up my now very messy house lol

I felt the EXACT same way. And yet, here I am. The thing is...they get SO much more fun the older they get that it makes all this crap worth it. I promise. I love DS1 so much (he's nearly three) and have so much fun with him. Reminding myself that DD2 will be that much fun before I know it, helps me get through this icky part. 

CafeMom Tickers
  • Options

I've said all along that the baby phase isn't my favorite.  It's just not.  I like it much much better once they are able to sit up and reach for a toy and such.

I do feel like I'm having a hard time doing as much bonding with DS though and I don't like that.  It's just that his big sis is always right her with us so he doesn't get much Mommy alone time :-/

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    imageBigIsland07:

imagelvrunningirlie:

I felt the EXACT same way. And yet, here I am. The thing is...they get SO much more fun the older they get that it makes all this crap worth it. I promise. I love DS1 so much (he's nearly three) and have so much fun with him. Reminding myself that DD2 will be that much fun before I know it, helps me get through this icky part. 

haha yeah that's why I tell people if I have another baby it'll be a while from now once I get some seperation from this newborn phase... that whole distance makes the heart grow fonder thing haha.

• Options

imagelvrunningirlie:

I had this exact thought too! DS is definitely not an easy baby, and has made reconsider my original plan to have 4 kids... I just can't imagine going through this again let alone with a toddler!

• Options
    imageGoldenGibson:

imagelvrunningirlie:

I had this exact thought too! DS is definitely not an easy baby, and has made reconsider my original plan to have 4 kids... I just can't imagine going through this again let alone with a toddler!

Exactly! That's what gets me... doing all this WITH another kid running around to take care of... eek!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"