Secondary IF

Chlomid question - # of follicles?

I'm on 100mg of Chlomid (and have been for about a year now), in the middle of my 2nd monitored cycle.  I went for my bloodwork and ultrasound this morning and I have 1 follicle measuring 12mm and 4 that are under 10mm.  Does that seem average?  I always thought the purpose of Chlomid was to stimulate more eggs to be released, which would mean more follicles, right?  They will call me this afternoon to tell me when to come back for another U/S before I trigger.

I don't know why this is so confusing.  I am constantly reading about infertility stuff and you'd think I'd have it all figured out by now.  I have a tendency to think of a bunch of questions AFTER I leave my RE's office though.  It happens every time!

DD conceived naturally in 2009.  TTC #2 since August 2010.  Praying for guidance as we decide what's next.

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

Re: Chlomid question - # of follicles?

• I only ever had 1 or 2 follicles. My doc always wanted them around 18mm-22mm to be mature. My us was always on day 13, so if yours is earlier in the cycle there could still be time.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • JMayJMay member
    I'm on Femara, which works very much like Clomid - I usually have 2-4 follies (I have PCOS so I'm likely to have more) and my RE views "ripe" as between 18-24mm.  What CD are you?  In 3 days or so your follies should be abou tthe right size... 
    Doriimage
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."

Miracle DD born 12.2005
    TTC #2 since Dec 2008 w/ PCOS
    ***P/SAIF Always Welcome***

Keep it Natural, Baby!
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm on my second cycle of clomid 50mg and I'm not really sure what is considered average, but last cycle I triggered on cd14 and I had one follie at 23mm on my right ovary and two on my left at 16, and 17. My doctor likes to see them between 18 and 25.

After many years and tears our baby boy is finally here
    Born 11-6-10

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• This is from a site I found about IUI:

Q: At what size are follicles considered mature?

A: Many doctors monitor follicle development during IUI cycles. Most trigger when the dominant follicle is within a certain size range. While there is always some difference in doctor preference, the norms are unmedicated 20-24mm, clomiphene citrate 20-24mm, FSH-only meds 17 or 18mm minimum, and FSH+LH would be 16 or 17mm minimum. It is possible for slightly smaller follicles, 14-15mm, to contain a viable egg. Also, follicles continue to grow until they release, usually at a rate of about 1-2 mm per day. A woman may ovulate more than one follicle in a cycle, but the releases will occur within 24 hours. When hCG is not used, only follicles close in size are likely to release. The use of hCG induces ovulation in about 95 percent of women, and will get most mature follicles to rupture.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

DD conceived after 3 years of ttc.
    MFI - DH had varicocele repair and took Clomid to get DD b. 02/2010

TTC #2 since 6/2010
    10/2012 DH diagnosed with Epilepsy
    A few failed IUIs summer 2012 and 2013. 
    DH taking clomid and waiting to see if he needs another vericocele repair. 
    Hoping for a 2015 baby or babies. 
    Wishing, hoping, waiting.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Trying to Conceive Event tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Thanks, ladies.  I'm on CD13 today.  They said they like to see 20mm to trigger so I'll be going back on Thurs or Fri for another U/S. 
    DD conceived naturally in 2009.  TTC #2 since August 2010.  Praying for guidance as we decide what's next.

When the world says, "Give up,"

Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

~Author Unknown

• When I got pregnant with the triplets I had 3 mature follies and one that was close. You really don't want more than 2-4 mature follies or your risk for multiples goes up. I think 3-4 is a great response. Good luck!
    photo 203b9128-895f-464c-a378-ff73eaf8c1ce_zps4de57ab1.jpg
    Xander, Hayden & Lily 5 1/2 and Jericho 3 My Blog!
  • I wouldn't do it for a year.  If it isn't working after about four or five cycles you need to go onto something else.  I got two mature follies each time I did a clomid cycle.   

When you get a couple that are mature they will tell you to trigger.  You don't want more than one or two or it could result in higher order multiples.  GL-

ETA-If I remember correctly, for clomid they want to see follies nearing 20 mm to trigger and slightly lower if you're doing injectables.  When I got pregnant with the babies (IUI and injectables) my follies were 17 and 19, I triggered and IUI 36 hours later.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"