June 2011 Moms
Options

Everything going in their mouth?

I know one way that babies learn about their surroundings is by putting things in their mouths.  I was just wondering at what age should we start encouraging them not to do this anymore.  Is it something they naturally stop doing, or do we need to teach them?  If we need to teach them, when is it developmentally appropriate?

Re: Everything going in their mouth?

• Options
    hahaha I totally asked DH on Friday, completely exasperated, "At what age does she stop eating garbage?!?!" I'm so sick of fishing crap out of her mouth!
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    6240662406 member
    I know for our LO a lot of this has to do with when she is teething.  This weekend I changed her bib 4 times just on Saturday because she kept drooling and everything was going in her mouth, including her feet.
    BFP #1: 9/26/10 DD: 5/2011
    BFP #2: 7/23/14 - MC: 8/28/14
    BFP #3: 2/22/15 - MC: 3/3/15
    BFP #4: 5/20/15 - Stick baby stick!!!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I can't remember exactly but I think it's closer to two when they stop....  Not sure.

DD is getting really bad, she was eating paper yesterday.  She always put stuff in her mouth, but that was the first time she tried to eat it, and got really made when I wouldn't let her. 

• Options
    imageM&M227:

I can't remember exactly but I think it's closer to two when they stop....  Not sure.

DD is getting really bad, she was eating paper yesterday.  She always put stuff in her mouth, but that was the first time she tried to eat it, and got really made when I wouldn't let her. 

Yeah, this is hte one thing Lexi throws on the floor full out toddler tantrums over. She HATES it when I take paper or wahtever she's eating out of her mouth. She ate the foil and half a hershey's miniature piece of chocolate by clamping her mouth shut and not letting me get to it this weekend!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • Options

I feel your pain - DS likes to eat wood chips - the first time I thought he swallowed them and I panicked, until he smiled and I could see the ends poking out the sides of his mouth . . . He hates it when I have to fish something out. It's not one of my favorite things to do either.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Ds still puts everything in his mouth. He chews on stuff more than he uses them for their intended purpose. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    LOL...last week DS had 3 bugs in his mouth.  I told DH he must not be getting enough protein.  It was those Asian Lady Beetle bugs, they look like Lady Bugs.  Tonight he had grass that the dog or us tracked in.  He doesn't get mad and throw a fit, he looks at us and smiles like "look what i found!"
  • Options
    Em too puts everything in her mouth. She doesn't have a fit but clamps her mouth down so hard that I can't get in. She also uses her mouth to help her climp up on things. So weird.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"