North Carolina Babies

You might as well be speaking German.

..when you're talking about cloth diapers. I swear--it's like another language with all the "terminology!! " Big Smile

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

Re: You might as well be speaking German.

• LOL! I've thought the same thing.
    image Caleb is 3! 101 in 1001
  • I know!  It takes awhile, but once you actually start using them, it's like second nature.  Just like the nest lingo really.  But I was very overwhelmed and intimidated at first too, just reading about it and not understand WTH they were talking about!

If you are really curious about what something means (even if you're not interested in cloth) I'll be happy to translate, just so you don't feel like you're in the dark!

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • lol- I was also completely confused at first, now I'm slanging it up with the best of them. It's so funny- I sent my mom and dad an e-mail full of stuff like CDs and BRU and PNP...and my mom had to translate it for my dad, lol. Kind of like how I have to catch myself from saying "DH" in real life all the time!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • LOL I felt the same way at first!  I went to the diaperswappers.com forum and couldn't follow anything they were saying, there were so many acronyms and stuff! :)
    Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Bwwaaa-haaa!

I have been thinking the same thing!  In Jenhum's post, the only thing I understood was 25% off and the diapers must be easy to use if a grandma and DH could use them.  (well, that would be the case in my family)

• imagewithoutshoes:

Bwwaaa-haaa!

I have been thinking the same thing!  In Jenhum's post, the only thing I understood was 25% off and the diapers must be easy to use if a grandma and DH could use them.  (well, that would be the case in my family)

I think 25% off is a universal language!

• heheh...glad to see I'm not the only one!
    But I do know I've got some good "translaters" if I ever need them!

And, I have SO typed "DH" in an email to someone NOT from the Nest on more than one occasion.. Luckily, I've always caught myself. It's just a matter of time, I'm sure!

photo c107d4aa-9909-4a33-b3bd-bd94168bd5fc.jpg

• That is funny! I have definitley used MIL and SAHM in emails to friends, hope they know what I was talking about! I had to stop myself from using BFP b/c I knew no one other than nesties would figure that out Wink

• See I think I would be more willing to look into CD diapers but honestly you guys scare me with all the lingo and talk for some reason.  Plus, I wish I had researched it and maybe did it a long time ago.  But my mom said something about it the other day that I should have used CD's.  Of course all she remembers is the ones you pin and she had a diaper service.  But this would totally be a good option for us since Cam is not in daycare.  Sigh.....

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Aw, you can do it Wendy!  It's really not complicated, there are just alot of options, and that's what's overwhelming.  I started late too, but I'm glad I did it.  I know alchris has tried to put everything in lamen's terms on here, but if you want some one on one help I'll be glad to help you, or just answer some specific questions. 

• imagemrsmikey:
    Aw, you can do it Wendy!  It's really not complicated, there are just alot of options, and that's what's overwhelming.  I started late too, but I'm glad I did it.  I know alchris has tried to put everything in lamen's terms on here, but if you want some one on one help I'll be glad to help you, or just answer some specific questions. 

See I know you guys would all help me.  I saw alchris at Mommy and Me when she was doing her CD workshop but I got there way late and honestly I was entertaining Camryn and Kira while she was talking.  But she had a couple of good handouts, I just haven't looked at them.  I just don't even know where I would begin or what I would buy initially to get started with maybe just a few for during the day????

How did you get started with it???

My Sweet Girls

• imageWendyNC:

How did you get started with it???

I didn't start right away either - we started when Liam was 3 months old.  I started by getting a feel for what the different kids of diapers were, and then decided I thought we would like All In Ones (AIOs) for durig the day and pockets for nighttime.  Then I spent some time researching specific brands on www.diaperpin.com.  I chose a couple kinds I thought I might like and bought 1 diaper of a few different brands to try.  I started with 4 or 5 diapers, and went from there.

I definitely wouldn't buy too many of one kind before you've tried them on Camryn because every baby is just so different, what works for someone else may not work at all for you.

It's totally addictive once you start, and especially for girls I would think, the colors and fabrics are just SO cute! :)

Rachel & Bill 9-10-05, Liam Andrew born 5-30-08 (formerly lakebride05)
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wendy, I was also totally overwhelmed and didn't really know where to start when we switched to CD's. Jillian's Drawers has a great trial program where you get to try a few of each of the different kinds of diapers. Once you decide on your favorite kinds (mine are fitteds and All In Ones), you can start looking into the different brands that sell those types. When you're doing the trial, it's not enough diapers to go full time, but hopefully it would give you an idea of what it would be like (although I will say that it is easier to do all CDs than CDs and disposables at the same time).

Also, feel free to ask a million questions on here if you need to! I felt so annoying when I was first starting out, I was asking questions all the time...but everyone was so helpful and it really tool less than a month for me to feel like an expert myself.

• The first step is just deciding what diaper you think might be right for your lifestyle and Camryn.  People generally go with one of 3 types (or a combination):

Fitteds/Covers - these are similar to the "old school" diapers (but not really).  You have a piece of cloth, that's gusseted around the leg, that you use as the diaper, and they have velcro or snaps to attach.  But they aren't waterproof, so you have to have some kind of cover (used to be rubber pants) over them, which also have snaps or velcro.  There are several different materials that fitteds and the covers can be made of, depending on your needs and likes.  Alot of people go without covers at home, since you can change them often.  They are the most breathable option if you have diaper rash problems.

Pockets - These are more like a disposable, in that they're more one piece than the fitteds/covers route.  They also have snaps or velcro closures.  They are basically a waterproof cover, with a material "pocket" made into them, and you stuff the pocket with some kind of insert to absorb the pee.  These are better at wicking away moisture from the baby's skin, and you can use different kinds of fabric for the inserts, and more than one, for more absorbancy.  Many people use pockets for overnight diapers.  But they're not as breathable as fitteds, since the outside is waterproof. 

AIOs - or All in Ones.  These truely are like a disposable.  They are all one piece, and snap or velcro together.  They are like a pocket, only all sewn together.  With AIOs, you pretty much get what you get, meaning you can't play with the absorbancy as much (although there are some ways).  These are great for when you're out and about.  Quick and easy.  Also the most expensive option.  Also good for DH's and grandmas.

For us, we went with pockets.  If I were a SAHM, I'd have fitteds/covers.  But pockets fit our busy lifestyle best.  We have the BumGenius diapers.  Fitteds offer the most choices as far as fabrics and patterns go, especially for little girls!  And like I said, alot of people have a variety of diapers and use different ones for different things (one for day, one for night, one for out, etc).  You can also buy sized diapers or one sized diapers.  With sized diapers, you will have to buy more as the baby grows.  But some people get a better fit that way.  Only pockets and AIOs come in one size fits most.

They also still have the prefold diapers, which are much more like what our parents used, but most people only use them for newborns. 

I hope this may have simplified some things for you.  It's so overwhelming at first.  For us, I just found something I liked and bought a few and tried them out.  Then I bought more and more.  And more and more!  There are also some companies that offer trial packages, and they send you a few of each, and you can try them out and send them back to see what you like.

You can email me if you want to talk specifics or just don't feel like posting all your questions. 

• I found one of the most helpful websites was pinstripesandpolkadots.com.  They have all the different types categorized, and also have great FAQs and washing tutorials.  Try not to get overwhelmed, just one step at a time!  Also, just like anything else, alot of it is just different brands.  So when you click on pockets, you'll see half a dozen different kinds, but they all generally work the same, just different makers.  And as far as picking a brand (or two or three), first chose your style of diaper, and then get recs for good brands.

• Thanks ladies!  I think I've learned a lot just by looking at little bit at some of the websites and based on what you all have said.

So did any of you (jenhum?) do one of those trials then? And then you can ultimately return what you don't end up liking right? 

My Sweet Girls

• imageWendyNC:

Thanks ladies!  I think I've learned a lot just by looking at little bit at some of the websites and based on what you all have said.

So did any of you (jenhum?) do one of those trials then? And then you can ultimately return what you don't end up liking right? 

I ended up doing a trial from Sunshine Diapers, they have a newborn rental that's all Kissaluv's (they are supposed to be the best newborn diapers), and since Maddie is so small, we were able to do that so we could start out with full time CDing (that trial comes with 24 diapers). They also have a "late start" rental program for older babies, that comes with about 9 different kinds of diapers, but with their program you only get a store credit when it's over.

The Jillian's Drawer program just gives you all but $10 of your money back when you send back the diapers. Or you can keep any that you like and she'll just refund the difference. I think their rental gives you a really good intro into the different types and most popular brands too.

• Wow.  This has been really helpful.  I'm thinking about CDs so I'm going to check out those sites.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"