Infertility Veterans
Options

So frustrated/No clue what next step should be

I talked to my doctor today about my DH's DNA fragmentation testing.  She basically said that all testing done on us has been normal and she doesn't know why IVF hasn't worked.  She said the only thing was that I was over 35, and that is decreasing my chances a little.

She said using a donor egg would definitely increase pregnancy chances.  But she also said she wouldn't be opposed to me trying again with a more aggressive protocol.  I mean, lots of people my age become pregnant on their own.

I am not quite 100% on board with using donor egg, yet I am not sure I want to take a $12000 gamble on my own eggs, knowing there is another chance of failure.

Gosh, I hate IF and the unknown!

Ellen & Chris 5/6/06
-------------------------
TTC Since 10/2007 with no luck and a 'go with the flow' attitude
1/1010 FINALLY decided to have testing done, dx MFI
7/2010 - DH starts Clomid to increase testosterone and hopefully sperm count
10/2010 - Still low (but improved) sperm count.
11/30/10 - IUI #1 and only = BFN
February 2011 - IVF #1 w/ ICSI =
Chemical PG (Beta 1: 10, Beta 2: 19, Beta 3: 17) :-(
April 2011 - IVF #2 w/ ICSI = BFN :-(
September 2011 - IVF #3 w/ ICSI = BFFN
November 2011 - AMH level tested - .83 (normal for age range)
February 2012 - IVF #4 w/ ICSI = (best response ever yet still) BFFN
April 2012 - DNA testing - NORMAL, RE suggests cycling again with own eggs or using DE
On Break indefinitely...not sure we can afford the emotional and financial roller coaster anymore.
*PAIFW/SAIFW*

Re: So frustrated/No clue what next step should be

• Options

what protocols have you done w/ previous IVF's?  have you had ama tested?

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • Options

Have you done all the immune testing???

Sorry hon - that is hard.

TTC since 07/2009
    Me: PCOS, Blood/Immune Issues DH: Low all 3
    Jun.- Sep. 2010 IUI#1-#3 = BFN
    Oct. 2010 = IVF #1 = B/G Twins (passed away Feb. 2011)
    May 2011 = Myomectomy and trans-abdominal cerclage (TAC)
    Sep. 2011 = Surprise BFP = C/P
    Feb. 2012 = sFET #1 = BFN
    Feb.2012 = Hail Mary IUI #4 = BFN
    April/May 2012 = FET #2 w/our last two embies = BFP (Please let this be it!)
    Beta #1 8dp5/6dt = 234 Beta #2 10dp5/6dt = 695 Beta #3 12dp5/6dt = 1796 Beta #4 17dp5/6dt = 17,888 U/S #1 May 17, 2012 = Twins
    Baby B's heart stop beating at 9 weeks 5 days
    Our little miracle baby is a boy. :)

Baby Boy Owen and Baby Girl Avery were born too early on Feb. 13, 2011 due to a pedunculated fibroid, incompetent cervix and suspected placental abruption.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

"What the heart has once owned and had, it shall never lose." - Henry Ward Beecher
    SAIF/PAIF Welcome
    Lots of love and luck to my PAIF/3T/IF Veteran ladies, especially my dear friend Zookie. Congrats to Papps, Teach84 and Starbuck on their little ones.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagetheworms:

I don't know protocol names.  

1st IVF: BCP, Lupron, Follistim, Menopur (6R, 3F)

2nd IVF: BCP, Microdose Lupron, Follistim, Menopur (4R, 1F)

3rd IVF: BCP, Ganirelix, Follistim, Menopur (5R, 1F)

4th IVF: Back to the first protocol (9R, 8F)

She said with another IVF, she'd try estrogen instead of lupron, as she has seen that help egg quality.  My FSH and AMH levels are normal.

Ellen & Chris 5/6/06
    April 2012 - DNA testing - NORMAL, RE suggests cycling again with own eggs or using DE
    On Break indefinitely...not sure we can afford the emotional and financial roller coaster anymore.
    *PAIFW/SAIFW*
  • Options
    imageellenchris0506:
    imagetheworms:

She said with another IVF, she'd try estrogen instead of lupron, as she has seen that help egg quality.  My FSH and AMH levels are normal.

I have DOR and though I am only 32 I think they look at me like I am "older" I have not done IVF since my DOR diagnosis but I will say that I did Estrogen priming to help my eggs grow for my last IUI and it really helped. I responded much better, my linking did great and my RE was happy with my follicles. Now i did not get pregnant but from what I have read and see I think it can help.

But I know how you feel about the DE thing. I am in the same boat right now and just not there yet.

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU 

ME- 35    DH- 40
    TTC #1 
    IVF#1 w ICSI- 4/20/11 ER, 6 Eggs, 4 Fertilized, 4/25/11 5 day ET, 2 blasts- 5/4- Beta= BFN- No Frosties 

IVF #2 w ICSI-6/21/11 ER, 4 Eggs, 2 Fertilized, 6/24/11 3 day ET 2 embryos- Beta 7/5/11- BFN- No frosties.
    NEW RE
    IUI #1- started 50ius of follistim 1/25, IUI 2/3/12 - BFN
    AMH-0.73- DOR 2/2012

IUI #2- 3/17/12 started 200ius of Follistim , 3/24/12 added ganirelix, 225ius Follistim and 75ius of repronex, IUI- 3/30/12, Beta April 13, 2012-BFN

Appointment with Dr. Schoolcraft at CCRM July 18, 2012
    WAITING ON A MIRACLE AT THIS POINT
    AMH tested again 1/2013- 1.4!!!!
    IUI #3- 1/14/13 started 200ius of Follistim, 1/20/13 added menopur and ganirelix, IUI 1/25/13. Positive HPT 2/6/13- Beta #1- 193- BFP!!! 2/8/13-Beta#2-426.6
    2/26 ultrasound #1- TWINS!
    Delivered a healthy beautiful baby boy on 10/17/13 10ls. 2 ounces

TTC #2 
    AMH .75 VERY POOR RESPONDER
    IUI #4 cancelled due to only one egg responding 
    IUI#5 cancelled on CD 10,  (3) follicules were still very small even on 300 IU's of Follistim. Also found fluid in my uterus from C-section scar
    BFP- 8/9/15 
    Beta #1 8/10/15 13DPO-   9.2 (fingers crossed this sticks)
    Beta #2 8/12/15 15DPO   39- progesterone 18 
    Beta #3 8/14/15    111- progesterone 17.5
    Ultrasound August 31- 

PAIF or SAIF Welcome

• Options

Hey Ellen!

It sucks and I know it is hard to make that decision.  My numbers are not super high, they are in the normal-high range.  Both RE I talked to about DE said they will be willing to cycle me with my OE's as well and be very aggressive.  There were a few things that made me nervous about this...

1- I am 38 and even if I did get pregnant with my OE I was/am at such a higher risk of mc, downs, and other related issues due to age

2- I know this will be our last attempt and the idea of spending all the $ for a low % of working was/is an issue for me. I know that using DEs (especially after my first DE cycle) is not a sure bet but it is way better than using my OEs.

3- I want a baby...using DE gives best opportunity to be able to have that.  I have always been open to adoption so it has not been hard for me to accept this route.  I do feel a sense of sadness that we won't have our own bio child and it did take me some time to mourn the bio child that will never be.  But as an adoptee myself, I know that genetics do not matter.

Take your time this is a huge decision.  What does your H think/feel?  If you want me to add to to the private FB group let me know, there is lots of good info and you can also ask questions to those cycling and to those who have found success.

Hugs!

I am AMA and all tests on H came back normal
    3 failed IVF with OE and 2 failed frozen DE cycles
    Last fresh hail mary DE cycle starting Feb 2013
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Options
    imageellenchris0506:
    imagetheworms:

I just did a cycle with EPP (estrogen) and not lupron and got 25 eggs (11 last time), 15 fertilized (6 last time) and 5 made it to PGD. I also was on DHEA and other supps so not sure what worked but something did.

Sorry for your issues but hoping you find a solution.

Multiple ectopics, 2 failed IVF's
    IVF #1: Did not get to ET, embies all failed PGD (major chromosomal defects)
    IVF #2: We have 2 chromosomally perfect embies as a result of PGD (Boy/Girl) 1 failed the thaw (Girl) Transferred 1, yet ended as a c/p
    Thought it was the end of our TTC Journey 6/20/2012
    SHOCK BFP 9/28/2012: IT'S A BOY! and everything is normal !!!!!!

Little A born 38w 2d on 05/23/13 and is a true miracle for this IF Vet!

• Options
    imagereb259:

Hey Ellen!

It sucks and I know it is hard to make that decision.  My numbers are not super high, they are in the normal-high range.  Both RE I talked to about DE said they will be willing to cycle me with my OE's as well and be very aggressive.  There were a few things that made me nervous about this...

1- I am 38 and even if I did get pregnant with my OE I was/am at such a higher risk of mc, downs, and other related issues due to age

2- I know this will be our last attempt and the idea of spending all the $ for a low % of working was/is an issue for me. I know that using DEs (especially after my first DE cycle) is not a sure bet but it is way better than using my OEs.

3- I want a baby...using DE gives best opportunity to be able to have that.  I have always been open to adoption so it has not been hard for me to accept this route.  I do feel a sense of sadness that we won't have our own bio child and it did take me some time to mourn the bio child that will never be.  But as an adoptee myself, I know that genetics do not matter.

Take your time this is a huge decision.  What does your H think/feel?  If you want me to add to to the private FB group let me know, there is lots of good info and you can also ask questions to those cycling and to those who have found success.

Hugs!

Thanks, Reb!!  I just turned 38 this week and am feeling so old :-(  

How do I PM you?  lol...I have no clue how to do that!

Ellen & Chris 5/6/06
    *PAIFW/SAIFW*
  • Options
    imageellenchris0506:
    imagereb259:

Hey Ellen!

Hugs!

Thanks, Reb!!  I just turned 38 this week and am feeling so old :-(  

How do I PM you?  lol...I have no clue how to do that!

Click on the contact at the bottom...I sent you a PM.

PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Options
    imageellenchris0506:
    imagetheworms:

i would suggest an estrogen priming protocol if you want to give your own eggs another try.

GL 

Worrying does not empty tomorrow of its troubles, It empties today of its strength. ~Corrie ten Boom
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the little voice at the end of the day that says I'll try again tomorrow. ~Mary Anne Radmacher (thank you beadinglady)

It's been a long journey. TTC since 9/06. multiple IUI's and IVF's and 4 m/c's. IVF#3 = BFP, twins, induced at 34w6d due to baby b passing away (no explanation). Delivered on 35w1d, Baby A - baby girl, and Baby B - baby boy, our little angel.
    MTHFR A1298C & C677T, Immune Issues and Factor II
  • Options

I was kind of in the same boat.  My numbers were great, and DH had normal frag....although very little sperm  I am 36 btw.

Of 36 eggs retrieved, i made ONLY ONE good embie.  There was no reason they could see.  Just looking for that one good embie.  It took me 4 cycles, but my RE told me to be prepared for it to take several.

I had told myself id do 6 before looking at other options, but i got lucky.  I think a lot comes down to how much u can endure, u know?

FWIW, estrogen priming was my worst protocol by far.  And i really started to feel like i was just donating $ to the clinic.

GL deciding on how to move forward.  HUGS

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hugs. It sucks being lost. I feel better about having made an appt with a new RE, but have afraid of what he will say.

I hope you find some path that leads to a BFP.

PAIF and SAIF Always Welcome!
    TTC since 2007
    6 IUIs, 3 IVFs, and 2 m/c :< PCOS, Blood Clotting Disorder & MFI
    IVF #2 Aug 2011 is a BFN:<
    IVF #3 March 2012 is a BFN
    Not sure what to do now. Sad and lost.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
  • Options
    I'm also 38 and have the same fears that Reb mentioned. But DE isn't a financial option for us right now so I am going to try again with my OE (covered mostly by insurance so easier for me to just do it since it isn't my $$) Anyway, have all your IVFs been with the RE?  Have you sought out another opinion?  I am severely DOR and never get more than 2 eggs but I agree with the others about an estrogen priming protocol.  It is a numbers game when you get to AMA and it is hard to find one good one in the bunch.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• Options
    imagemdluv21:

Have you done all the immune testing???

Sorry hon - that is hard.

This... also make sure they check for celiac's

TTC #1 Since 4/2010, Cycle 30
    Positive for HLA-B27, I'm a mutant :p
    Testing - Me ok, gluten issue? DH - borderline count, low motility
    4/28/11 IUI#1 = BFP!(5/25), EDD 2/2/12 - m/c 5w3d
    7/3, 7/31, 9/25 - IUI#2-4=BFN
    IVF#1 - 1 blast = BFP!! (12/30), EDD 9/9/12, confirmed c/p 4w2d
    FET#1 3/2/12 - 2 blasts =BFP!! EDD 11/18/12, us#1 = twins! Confirmed m/c 5w6d
    4/20-surprise BFP and another c/p 4w2d
    FET#2 7/16/12 - 2 blasts = BFN
    FET#3 8/20/12 - 1 blast - BFP!! Beta #1-2=177, 354
    1st u/s 5w6d, one beautiful little HB :), 2nd u/s 146bpm
    baby girl born 5/10/13

TTC#2 since 12/17/2014, Cycle 8
    Repeat Testing...FSH=12, AMH=3.8, AFC=28. 
    IUI#5 5/10/15- c/p?
    IVF#2 8/19/15 - cancelled due to cysts
    IVF#2 take two 10/2015 - 5 blasts frozen
    FET#4 12/11/2015 - BFN - 4 blasts remaining
    FET#5 2/18/16 - BFP!!!  Beta1-3, 126, 250, 745!!

Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

Tons of love and ((hugs)) to my IF sister NMscubagirl

• Options
    I added you to the FB group
    PAIF/SAIF always welcome
  • Options
    I don't have a lot of advice, just a lot of support.  I hope all works out for you.

me 33/DH 36
    ttc since 10/2008; d/x: mild MFI, stageII endo
    ~~PAIF/SAIF Welcome~~
    11 IUI’s = 1 m/c (7w4d)
    IVF#1 January 2012 BFN, FET #1 April 2012 BFN
    Surprise BFP October 2012 m/c (7w), Surprise BFP April 2013 m/c (6w4d)
    IVF #2: July 2013, ET 1 embryo 7/18, beta 1 @ 14dp3dt - 757, beta 2 @ 16dp3dt - 1762
    U/S 1 @ 6w4d = 1 little frogger with HB of 118, U/S 2 @ 7w3d measuring right on track with HB of 160
    Stick Frogger Stick! Please!!!!!!!!!!!!!   It's a Girl, EDD April 7, 2014

BabyFruit Ticker

• Options

Hey Ellen,

I just want to chime in to wish you luck with your next steps, whatever you choose them to be.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Another 30-something here (turning 38 in a month), just chiming in to lend a little support.  I've had miscarriages and they think it's due to old eggs.  :::sigh:::  My docs have implied it's a numbers game. 
    My feet and Miss Heidi the rescue mutt!

15 treatment cycles: four early m/c
    Moving forward with domestic infant adoption!

Home study approved 5/13, now just waiting...

• Options
    Wanted to say best wishes on your nest steps ....
    May 06: Natural PG= m/c, July 09: TI= m/c, November 09: TI=BFN, December 09: IUI= c/p
    IVF#1: start stims 1/26; ER 2/8; ET 2/13= BFN; FET#1: May 2010= m/c *NEW CLINIC Jan 2011* IVF#2: start stims 1/12; ER 1/22; ET 1/27= BFN; IVF#3: TBD
    ~SAIFW/PAIFW~
  • Options

*********** TICKER WARNING ************ 

I just posted to your other post about RI. 

Have you cycled at the same clinic this whole time? Have you checked your clinic's success rates at https://www.sartcorsonline.com/rptCSR_PublicMultYear.aspx?ClinicPKID=0

Have you gotten second opinions both locally and out of state? I consulted from coast to coast (phone calls) with at least 10 different clinics to get 2nd opinions.  It was very interesting to hear other RE's opinions on how they would handle my next cycle.  Gave me lots of food for thought.

Do you belong to a local Resolve group? https://www.resolve.org/support-and-services/support-group/western-pennsylvania-support-groups.html  They can offer support and advice to help you talk through other family building options like donor egg.

A lot of us in my local Resolve group end up going out of state to finally have successful cycles. It seems crazy at first to travel to another location (oftentimes across the country) to get pg, but you do what you have to do.

My husband did the special sperm fragmentation testing out of South Dakota lab. Is that what you are refering to in your post?  https://www.scsadiagnostics.com/home

What is your Day 3 FSH?  Has it been rising over the course of treatments?  

Wishing you luck.

TTC #1 for over 5 years - too many to count IF treatments (tried everything and anything), repeat miscarriages. Finally, Sticky Success!! B/G Twins arrived 2011. VOTE on my Name List Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"