Pregnant after 35

Doh -- thunder stolen

So my parents flew in on Sunday to spend Thanksgiving.  I waited until I got them home before I told DD "Let's show Grandma your new book!"  which was 'I'm a Big Sister'.  My mom took a look at it and said "oh, do you like this book?"  I look at my mom who is trying to talk to DD and ask her "Um, do you get it?"  "Oh, yes, I get it," she says blithely, "I had a hunch."  True -- the previous day she asked me point blank if I was pg (way to ruin a surprise -- if I want to tell you, I will) and I acted surprised and said "uh, just had a miscarriage end of September."  But still, both DH and I were kind of shocked by the underwhelming response.  No questions about when I was due, how far along I was, had I had a dr's appointment nothing.  So I ask "don't you want to know when I'm due?"  "Oh, I'll guess September."  Clearly math not her strong suit.  So I tell her when I'm due and how far along I am.  My dad acts more happy -- "that's great news!!!  How wonderful!!", etc.  My mom just acts like "I told you so".  She's not a horrible person but in terms of being all warm-fuzzy supportive, uh, yeah, that's not her.  She in fact pronounced me unable to tolerate pain at one point because I had bad menstrual cramps which she never had any.  I should've known but still a little disappointing.

And then my grandparents (her parents) call while DH, DD and I are busy with our final photo shoot of our package and tells them I'm pg and everything!!!  When I ask her "you didn't tell them I'm pg, did you?"  "Yes.  Why -- was I not supposed to?"  So I tell her that I had been waiting to tell them and oh, well, what was done was done.  But kind of sad I didn't get to tell my GP myself about their next great-grandchild. 

And at least I warned my sister what she was in for at Christmas and to call our GP right away after she broke the news...

DD -- 5YO
DS -- 3YO

Re: Doh -- thunder stolen

• Well that stinks. Your mom sounds charming.

Don't worry, we're excited for you!!!!!!!!

• Aaaaw.  =(  That's too bad.  Well, I'm sure there's plenty of fussing to come! 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'm sorry it didn't go as planned and that she told your GP's without you. I'd be upset too! Sometimes Mom's don't get it.
  • I think I've thought before we might be sisters.

I'm sorry, that stinks, how it all went down.

At least it doesn't change that you are pg again!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Sorry      Not cool of her
  • Wow, I'm sorry for your plan that didn't turn out the way you wanted. 
  • Well, you know what they say about good news... It travels fast! :) It's just such a happy time for the family!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm sorry your mom didn't seem more excited.  I hate to say it, but get ready for more of the same.  People will take your second pregnancy completely for granted.  This was a big shock to me!  There's so much celebrating of a first baby, but not nearly as much with the second.  I hope your DH, DD and close friends will continue to make your second pregnancy extra special.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"