High-Risk Pregnancy
Options

NST test making me stressed! (GD Vent ahead)

I was about ready to kill my doctor today. I am 34 weeks and have to have NST every week. Ok, fine. Then I find out my insurance charges me 35 dollars for this pleasure(my last pregnancy I paid nothing for them). Then today I was in the chair for an hour and 15 minutes! Of course, I have GD so I can't have juice, but I had breakfast, a big tall glass of water before I left, and a big glass at the MD office. I thought I was doing good as they found the heartbeat and she was moving....it just seemed like it was never enough! After 30 minutes, they wanted me to move to my side...uhhh, I told them that doesn't work, but then I couldn't find the baby's heartbeat for a long time and the nurse pretty much would find it for one second and then leave right before it went cuckoo again. I seriously almost cried because I really don't want to spend 2 hours every week at my doctor for a stupid regular appt where everything is fine and I have no concerns and my blood sugars are good. does anyone else struggle with these appts?

Re: NST test making me stressed! (GD Vent ahead)

• Options
    Have you tried asking your doctor if they are really necessary or if you can maybe do them every other week or something? I have GD and have never done an NST. I'm going for an extra ultrasound next week to check fluid levels but that will be my first in over 5 weeks. A lot of doctors don't treat GD as a high risk if blood sugar is well controlled.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker
  • Options
    I'm terrified of losing my baby.  A good friend had a stillbirth a few months ago and it freaks me out.  I know there's a higher risk of still birth and placenta failure with GD.  When I talked to my doctor about my fears, he assured me that the weekly tests were the best way to check for problems and prevent this.  Whatever it takes to get my baby here healthy.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's always amazed me at how many people complain that their drs send them for testing which monitors their baby and prepares them for what may come. remember it could always be worse. I had to go for 4 to 5 appts a week from weeks 24 to 34, where one of these manys scans/ appts showed I needed to deliver my son. I guess I just don't and will never understand some people. I did everything possible to make sure my baby was alright in my as long as possible. I was also taken out of work at 26 weeks, put on modified bedrest, and am a single parent, and thankfully for my state we get tdi and ive been able to Squeek by living on 100 a week.
    My little pumpkin was born at 34weeks, weighing 3lbs, due to severe IUGR & Unexplained Placental Insufficiency. He spent 49 days in the NICU. Lilypie Premature Baby tickers imageimageimageimageimageimage
  • Options
    Everyones doc is different. I have GD and have had only 1 NST and just had a quick u/s at my last appt to check fluid. My RCS in is 9 days so I don't think there will be any reason to do another. She is moving well everyday, my blood sugars are use now, this week, becoming harder for me to manage. That might be the only reason I could end up with an NST at next weeks appt. If my doc wanted them 1 time a week I would do it for the sake of the baby. As pp said, if you are comfy with it, you could ask to do it every other week??
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options

imagetibuli:
    I was about ready to kill my doctor today. I am 34 weeks and have to have NST every week. Ok, fine. Then I find out my insurance charges me 35 dollars for this pleasure(my last pregnancy I paid nothing for them). Then today I was in the chair for an hour and 15 minutes! Of course, I have GD so I can't have juice, but I had breakfast, a big tall glass of water before I left, and a big glass at the MD office. I thought I was doing good as they found the heartbeat and she was moving....it just seemed like it was never enough! After 30 minutes, they wanted me to move to my side...uhhh, I told them that doesn't work, but then I couldn't find the baby's heartbeat for a long time and the nurse pretty much would find it for one second and then leave right before it went cuckoo again. I seriously almost cried because I really don't want to spend 2 hours every week at my doctor for a stupid regular appt where everything is fine and I have no concerns and my blood sugars are good. does anyone else struggle with these appts?

I know all these tests are for the greater good ... but I have also been really frustrated the last week with all of the appointments I've had (I had different doctors appointments every single day last week). The more I have, the more scared and insecure I feel, oddly enough. My gynocologist on Wednesday made me feel so much better, though. She is kind of the voice of reason among all the testing/monitoring I have to have.

• Options

It could be worse... next week i get to start going twie weekly for them... i was supposed to start this week but they let me wait an extra week because I had a growth scan that showed no issues... I'm not thrilled with going to the hospital and fighting for parking trio or three times a week but I'll do whatever it takes to get this little girl here happy and healthy

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I asked about not going every week, especially when it is the first one and they said they had a hard time, but basically my doctor is very conservative and said no. I know it is best for baby and I will continue to do so, but that doesn't mean it isn't frustrating, especially when some people don't respect my time. Of course some people have it worse, doesn't mean my frustrations aren't valid...

• Options

I understand that you are frustrated, and that the situation was a valid source of frustration.  But you aren't going to find a lot of sympathy among people who know intimately what it is like to lose a baby.  The testing is for a purpose, and while it is inconvenient, it is for the safety of your baby and yourself.

My doctors are worried about high blood pressure readings.  Granted I am higher risk for pre-eclampsia, but every single high reading has been when I've come directly from work, often running late.  I have bad swelling in my legs, which is probably due to circulatory issues - my mother had the same in her pregnancies - but no swelling in hands or face.  My home monitoring consistently shows healthy/normal blood pressure readings.  There has never been a trace of protein in my urine.  The two sets of blood work showed no increased risk of pre-e or even good indication of PIH.  Weekly BPP show a large, healthy baby with good fluids and healthy placenta.  Weekly NSTs show healthy, active baby with good heart variability.  I've lost, rather than gained weight.

And yet, because of another high reading (and note that by high, I mean elevated, not dangerously high or of clear concern) in office when I was running late to the appointment due to work, even though the reading dropped back into normal ranges by the end of the appointment - I have to do a third round of bloodwork and am currently doing a 24 hour urine collection.  This is one of the greater indignities I've had this pregnancy and I nearly started crying earlier because I've had to get my husband to bring me the stupid collection container while I peed in a special collection unit.

Know what?  I don't care - frustrating as it is to know that I really don't have pre-e and to have to arrange these tests over and over and take time off work and fight for parking and pay for parking, my doctors are doing it because we all have the same end goal, which is a healthy, living baby and a healthy, living mother.  I don't want to have to cremate another child.  I don't want to have to question whether closer monitoring might have caught or prevented a problem or saved my baby.  That is hell to live through.

So, yes, totally frustrating, totally valid to be annoyed, but refocus on the bigger picture.  Yes, your sugars are controlled now and baby is ok - for today.  Tomorrow that may not be the case.  So remember that this is to protect both of you and try to grin and bear it.

Gabriel Ross - August 24, 2009 * Vivienne Rose - May 1, 2012

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    My Blog

• Options

Would they let you bring a book or some music to listen to? I was lucky that my OB was fairly laid back since my GD was diet controlled. If we didn't get the needed data she would give DD a poke or buzz, are they willing to do that?

It is annoying but necessary and will be over soon enough.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"